Sign in to follow this  
ROMAD1

Michigan's roads

WTF...visiting for one of my annual visits...these roads are scandal. Fix them. And the I96 shutdown in Livonia is a pain in the rear but probably a good idea to take the pain in one year rather than spread it out.

96 is a big pain but yeah thats the best way. They are kicking butt. Cool to drive by early on and see it all opened up. No concrete or grass and then you see mountain of broken up concrete. I think they are grinding it and reusing it.

96 is a big pain but yeah thats the best way. They are kicking butt. Cool to drive by early on and see it all opened up. No concrete or grass and then you see mountain of broken up concrete. I think they are grinding it and reusing it.

I didn't know that was a thing.

WTF...visiting for one of my annual visits...these roads are scandal. Fix them. And the I96 shutdown in Livonia is a pain in the rear but probably a good idea to take the pain in one year rather than spread it out.

Our roads are exhibit A of GOP dysfunction and inability to treat governance as an adult pursuit.

(hmm - had to make sure this was in the political forum to post that...)

I didn't know that was a thing.

Its just a guess. Seems possible to me. It was quite a sight to see it all piled up. People seem to manage ok with it. Not sure about local businesses though. Have a lot of co workers who come into Dearborn from way out in howell and milford and novi.... I myself have a 2 mile commute.

They grind up the old concrete and use it as a base when they lay the new concrete. I think they also use it as aggregate in the new concrete as well.

They grind up the old concrete and use it as a base when they lay the new concrete. I think they also use it as aggregate in the new concrete as well.

That makes sense

Our roads are exhibit A of GOP dysfunction and inability to treat governance as an adult pursuit.

(hmm - had to make sure this was in the political forum to post that...)

Are you suggesting that Michigan Democrats have treated governance as an adult pursuit? :)

Michigan should devote Apollo Program priority to fixing the problem of potholes. These muthas are a joke

Michigan should devote Apollo Program priority to fixing the problem of potholes. These muthas are a joke

Related but easier solution: Ship the State Senate majority to the moon.

Why Michiganders pay among highest gas taxes — to drive on crummy roads | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

IMO its criminal how bad the roads are in Michigan and dont give me the weather crap because states like Minnesota and Wisconsin dont have roads this bad

the engineering situation here is bad, we have more freeze-thaw cycles than MN, and we have a lot of clay base, non-draining soil under our two lane county trunk. That said - none of it is any excuse. I well remember when crossing the state line into Michigan from any direction meant an improvement in road quality. We have been cheap, and gotten what we pay for. The blind anti-tax stupidity of the legislature is the one and only place to lay the full blame for this completely ridiculous and unnecessary situation.

the engineering situation here is bad, we have more freeze-thaw cycles than MN, and we have a lot of clay base, non-draining soil under our two lane county trunk. That said - none of it is any excuse. I well remember when crossing the state line into Michigan from any direction meant an improvement in road quality. We have been cheap, and gotten what we pay for. The blind anti-tax stupidity of the legislature is the one and only place to lay the full blame for this completely ridiculous and unnecessary situation.

The engineering situation here is excellent though...there amount of road/driving brainpower in the region is rivaled by few areas in the World.

I drive the [bleeping] PA turnpike and I'm convinced that the road I pay to drive on is a prolonged jobs program. I don't like that part of the road improvement industry...

It's been about 10 years since I drove in the Novi area, but we have dirt roads in Florida better than some of your interstate ramps.

I drive the [bleeping] PA turnpike and I'm convinced that the road I pay to drive on is a prolonged jobs program. I don't like that part of the road improvement industry...

Oh mercy. Same here. It seems like as soon as they finish one big project, they tear it up for the next one. It's pretty rare for me to drive on the freeway any more because of all the construction. Even with traffic lights, etc. it is usually faster to go the back roads on state highways. Ticked off right now because one of my favorite back routes is all torn up and has a detour to do some sort of underground utility upgrade. They just repaved that road and less than a year later are ripping it back up!

It's been about 10 years since I drove in the Novi area, but we have dirt roads in Florida better than some of your interstate ramps.

In Ann Arbor, the Main Street ramps on I-94 have been so bad for a number of years that you cannot even contemplate acceleration until you are well into the merge lane. Being the main commercial artery between Det and Chi, there are times when the semi traffic on 94 is as much as 50% of the total vehicle count. I don't know how my more fuel efficient Ann Arbor neighbors survive that and a couple of other 'challenging' freeway entrances in town. It's a concession I won't make - my auto shopping starts at 250 bhp for that reason.

In Ann Arbor, the Main Street ramps on I-94 have been so bad for a number of years that you cannot even contemplate acceleration until you are well into the merge lane. Being the main commercial artery between Det and Chi, there are times when the semi traffic on 94 is as much as 50% of the total vehicle count. I don't know how my more fuel efficient Ann Arbor neighbors survive that and a couple of other 'challenging' freeway entrances in town. It's a concession I won't make - my auto shopping starts at 250 bhp for that reason.
I had 7 in a mini van and the rock trucks were out accelerating me.

We get a pothole here and it's breaking news. Not quite literally, but damn close. There's a segment on the afternoon news called "What's driving you crazy" (get it), and at least once a month it's about A pothole somewhere.

Warning anecdotal story.

I have an uncle who has had a very successful cement business for at least 40 years and he says, like G_2 just wrote, cement could be mixed and installed that would last. They all know how to do it. But the state won't pay for it. In order to be competitive in the bids, to get one of those contracts they have to use inferior products and cut corners. It's a non-ending cycle of inferiority. He says it's only going to get worse.

8 mile through Southfield has been under construction(resurfacing/bridge repair) for over a year now. While they have been doing 8 mile the department thought that it would be a good time to do 9 mile too. So they spent 7 months resurfacing 9 mile in Southfield last year. They finished in about October. The road didn't even make 1 winter and they already had potholes to fill this spring.

One would think that an enlightened philosopher king would see the challenge

One would think that an enlightened philosopher king would see the challenge

The inmates tend to run the asylum in King Snyder's domain.

The inmates tend to run the asylum in King Snyder's domain.

it was bad way before Snyder

Why would a contractor do something that potentially puts him out of a job? Contractor gets bid, contractor funds politician, contractor gets bid again in 2 years......