davidsb

06/21/2014: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) at Cleveland Indians (Bauer) - 7:15p

summer-logo.jpg

From Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio, it is the...

DETROIT TIGERS

visiting the

Cleveland Indians

Pitching Match-up

Justin Verlander (6-7, 4.98 era) vs. Trevor Bauer (2-3, 4.20 era)

6341.png&w=350&h=25432014.png&w=350&h=254

Happy birthday to these former Tigers:

Jeff Baker (33), Sean Runyan (40), Gene Pentz (61)

256146.jpg

FoxSportsDetroit.png

Hoping JV has worked out some of the kinks. Hoping its just something mechanical but I worry seeing his velocity down and he really isn't getting many swing and misses.

Hoping JV has worked out some of the kinks. Hoping its just something mechanical but I worry seeing his velocity down and he really isn't getting many swing and misses.

I'm wish they would spend at least a little less focus on the location mantra and worry more about getting the movement back. Yes, you need enough location to be able to keep down walks and stay ahead, and on the first pitch of an AB, a batter is not usually going to offer if you can spot it low and/or away, but once you are ahead and the batter is looking to swing, you need swing and miss value with your FB and that comes with movement, which JV has not had this season to the extent he has always had in the past.

The Tiger coaching staff keeps saying they are correcting flaws in Justin's delivery. It sure would be nice to see some positive results....

Tigers' Justin Verlander works on mechanics before start | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

This is last year all over again with the "mechanical tweaks." Two weeks ago JV was saying he worked too much between starts and needed to back off, which was supposed to explain his lack of velocity. Now he's working even more. I just don't think they have any idea.

Eventually something will get sorted out. But I wouldn't put too much credence into anything said about JV until we see the results.

This is last year all over again with the "mechanical tweaks." Two weeks ago JV was saying he worked too much between starts and needed to back off, which was supposed to explain his lack of velocity. Now he's working even more. I just don't think they have any idea.

Eventually something will get sorted out. But I wouldn't put too much credence into anything said about JV until we see the results.

His first 100 pitches in the start against the White Sox were quite good. Don't know where it went against KC.

KC officials have just cancelled the World Series parade.

You know, IF the Tigers aren't good enough to win the Central, I would rather see K.C. than any other team in the division being the ones to win it. K.C. always seems on the verge of breaking out and being a good team and then it never happens. And the class their fans showed a couple of years ago was amazing....last game of the season and they had about 25,000 walk up ticket sale just to come out and see Cabrera win his triple crown. The ovation they gave him showed extreme class.

You know, IF the Tigers aren't good enough to win the Central, I would rather see K.C. than any other team in the division being the ones to win it....

Only if they trade Billy Butler before clinching.

So...I just went and read some of the Royal board. I noticed they finally got rid of that garish yellow font on top of the dark blue background. That burned my eyeballs.

Lineup vs. CLE:

Kinsler 4,

Jackson 8,

Cabrera 3,

V. Martinez DH,

J. Martinez 9,

Castellanos 5,

Avila 2, (I guess JV will have to deal with Cleveland knowing what he is going to throw)

Suarez 6,

Davis 7.

Looks like Krol is out with arm troubles and calling up LHP Pat McCoy from Toledo , haven't heard of corresponding 40-man move !

so much for 'just having a bad night'. 30 pitches in an inning from a 23 yr short man may not have been the best strategy last night either.

If Verlander gets hammered again today I would think major changes are in order. Either a stint on the DL or time in the pen. You just can't keep sending him out every fifth day to get lit up. Hope things work out though and he starts turning it around.

If Verlander gets hammered again today I would think major changes are in order. Either a stint on the DL or time in the pen. You just can't keep sending him out every fifth day to get lit up. Hope things work out though and he starts turning it around.

I think one thing that is clear is that history or not and bad bullpen or not, and whether he wants to or not, JV does not have the endurance to go deep into a game recently. Whether it's injury recovery or the quantity of side work - whatever, it's pointless to try and let him work out of trouble near or after 100 pitches. I count three of his recent starts that would have been relatively successful through 5 innings, Chicago in particular, if Ausmus had just gone and gotten him when he started to struggle.

Edited by Gehringer_2

OK - so against Cabrera, he either swung under the high FB and then got punched out on a curve. That is a good pattern for JV.

And he did not throw the 0-2 over the plate.

so far so good.