ROMAD1

Ausmus' dumb comment

I want to start a fake Keith Law twiter feed and praise everything Dombrowski and the Tigers do.

I'm sorry for offending you isn't an apology, it's an insult. But the good news is it's a funny joke because we as a society take actual spousal abuse very seriously. For instance, the Tigers would never employee someone who beat up their wife. They'd never live it down in this society. Really any professional athlete trying to come back after doing something like that is unthinkable.

Miguel Cabrera disagrees.

Miguel Cabrera disagrees.

Wasn't Cabrera was the the one who got "beaten" though? His wife broke his chain and scratched his face. I don't think he did anything to her physically. (not defending his behavior just saying I don't think he beat his wife)

I thought so also but I did read one report that said they both had marks on them.

Nothing wrong with a good ol' Royal Rumble in the house between consenting adults. Keeps things interesting.

I thought so also but I did read one report that said they both had marks on them.

It's always the man's fault... just like if two drunk people have sex.... in that scenario the man raped the woman. The female teacher gets 6 months in jail for having sex with her student, and a cover shot on people magazine. The male teacher gets 60 years.

It's always the man's fault... just like if two drunk people have sex.... in that scenario the man raped the woman. The female teacher gets 6 months in jail for having sex with her student, and a cover shot on people magazine. The male teacher gets 60 years.

Having sex with someone who is drunk isn't rape. Being drunk is not a defense against being aware that someone is capable of consenting, but that's not the same thing at all.

Why do you think the double standard wrt female and male teachers exists?

For the record I wasn't thinking of Cabrera with my post. Dmitri Young was the first Tiger that came to my mind.

I think the double standard exists because people garner sympathy for the pretty blonds that are white. But I'm not that interested in this topic to go further.... I'm just a guy spewing stuff on an MB. What Ausmus said was dumb and insensitive and it seems like he knew it right away and apologized. Unless we see patterns of abuse or things like that we should just move on.

I hated Dmitri Young before that and it just confirmed my belief. I think the guy's a dirtball.

I think the double standard exists because people garner sympathy for the pretty blonds that are white. But I'm not that interested in this topic to go further.... I'm just a guy spewing stuff on an MB. What Ausmus said was dumb and insensitive and it seems like he knew it right away and apologized. Unless we see patterns of abuse or things like that we should just move on.

I hated Dmitri Young before that and it just confirmed my belief. I think the guy's a dirtball.

In the case of teachers I think it has more to do with guys wishing they were the ones sleeping with the pretty blonds that are white (which isn't at all exclusive from what you were saying).

Ausmus knew he screwed up as soon as he said it. I wish he'd have actually apologized for what he did rather than apologizing for others reactions to what he said. He knows he wasn't supposed to say it but he doesn't actually see anything wrong with what he said.

Young is certainly a dirtball. Didn't stop a bunch of people on this board from defending him when they wanted the Tigers to win some games. Ray Rice is going to get treated like he took some PEDs in the offseason. That's why I don't think Ausmus' joke is particularly funny. I don't think we need to pile on Ausmus though, he's not really the problem.

Why do you say that about Rice? Everybody I know and have read thinks that situation is deplorable....down to the press conference where she apologized for getting hit.

As for Ausmus's comments.... I don't read too much into the non apology. He was speaking to a group of people and was probably shaken up a bit. Not everybody is a polished speaker. And it's not entirely true or evident that he doesn't see anything wrong with what he said. He apologized for saying it. That means he knows it was wrong to say it in that forum. that's not the same thing as it always being a wrong thing to say which I'm not sure is true. There's different rules depending on who you are with. IF he's with his wife and they have that kind of sense of humor then it's ok. Or with his friends. Depends on the audience.

It's not what he said that was wrong it was where he said it and who was speaking to. in that scenario the apology to those you offended actually works. Not everybody is offended by what is said so no need to apologize to them.

For the record I wasn't thinking of Cabrera with my post. Dmitri Young was the first Tiger that came to my mind.

I was thinking that your post was dripping with sarcasm but wasn't sure. I should have posted the Heath Ledger Joker picture.

Why do you say that about Rice? Everybody I know and have read thinks that situation is deplorable....down to the press conference where she apologized for getting hit.

As for Ausmus's comments.... I don't read too much into the non apology. He was speaking to a group of people and was probably shaken up a bit. Not everybody is a polished speaker. And it's not entirely true or evident that he doesn't see anything wrong with what he said. He apologized for saying it. That means he knows it was wrong to say it in that forum. that's not the same thing as it always being a wrong thing to say which I'm not sure is true. There's different rules depending on who you are with. IF he's with his wife and they have that kind of sense of humor then it's ok. Or with his friends. Depends on the audience.

It's not what he said that was wrong it was where he said it and who was speaking to. in that scenario the apology to those you offended actually works. Not everybody is offended by what is said so no need to apologize to them.

Yes, everyone says it's deplorable. And he's going to get a suspension. Maybe it will be a full-year suspension. Probably it will be 4-6 games (comparable to a PED suspension). People will talk about how terrible it is but at the end of the day next to nothing will happen. Going into next year some ******* is going to write an article about how Rice persevered through difficult this year.

My issue with what Ausmus said is that it was a classic non-apology apology. He didn't apologize to the people he offended, he apologize for them. He doesn't have to apologize and I'd rather he didn't if he didn't mean it (if he doesn't think that what he said, when he said it, was something he should apologize for). But apologizing by saying "it was an accident and I'm sorry you reacted the way you did" isn't an apology. If I accidentally break someones foot I'm not going to apologize by saying "Hey, it was an accident and I'm sorry you got mad at me about it."

Yet another example of the stupidity that emanates from the PC police in this country, particularly the media. It was an obvious attempt at humor...maybe not everyone's kind of humor, but an attempt anyway. I'll admit that it might not have been the right forum for this kind of humor, but for the Keith Law's of the world to over react to this is just plain idiotic. He apologized for it, get over it. Kids, don't let the "authorities" in your lives brainwash you and warp your minds.

If they were to fine Ausmus and suspend him, I'm wondering what the PC folks would think appropriate. Beyond that, what would they deem appropriate if

Ausmus actually DID beat his wife?

If they were to fine Ausmus and suspend him, I'm wondering what the PC folks would think appropriate. Beyond that, what would they deem appropriate if

Ausmus actually DID beat his wife?

If I remember correctly Brett Myers didn't even miss a start after he punched his wife in public with witnesses.

I bet the outcry would have been worse if he said he kicks or beats his dog.

I bet the outcry would have been worse if he said he kicks or beats his dog.

It might have been...I'm still NFL free because of Vick

Wow, Keith Law is a grade A *******.

I thought it was funny. People need to lighten up. Yah, it was probably the wrong forum for such a joke and an apology was the right thing to do, but it should be filed in the category of "nothing to see here".

I also thought it was very funny. Something one of the boys may have said. Stupid question....FUNNY answer. I loved it.

I thought Brad had the demeanor and smarts to be a good manager. He may still develop into one...but with the stupid baserunning and pitching management (not just the bullpen), I can see him being fired at the end of the season. Even if they win the division but fail to go deep into the playoffs.

I find the faux outrage from dickweeds like Law far more offensive than the comment Ausmus made.

Yes, everyone says it's deplorable. And he's going to get a suspension. Maybe it will be a full-year suspension. Probably it will be 4-6 games (comparable to a PED suspension). People will talk about how terrible it is but at the end of the day next to nothing will happen. Going into next year some ******* is going to write an article about how Rice persevered through difficult this year.

My issue with what Ausmus said is that it was a classic non-apology apology. He didn't apologize to the people he offended, he apologize for them. He doesn't have to apologize and I'd rather he didn't if he didn't mean it (if he doesn't think that what he said, when he said it, was something he should apologize for). But apologizing by saying "it was an accident and I'm sorry you reacted the way you did" isn't an apology. If I accidentally break someones foot I'm not going to apologize by saying "Hey, it was an accident and I'm sorry you got mad at me about it."

I noticed too that Ausmus went with the classic "I apologize if I've offended anyone." Of course you did, no need for the if. But that almost exact phrasing has become popular that it's almost the MO and he might have just gotten caught up using the cliche.

But Ausmus also said he remarks were insensitive and in bad taste and that he didn't mean to make light of battered woman so if you are looking for an apology for the actual remarks (as opposed to offending people) it's right there.

I find the faux outrage from dickweeds like Law far more offensive than the comment Ausmus made.

Yeah, KL comparing Ausmus to a psychopath (by today's popular media definition) and Wenzel playing armchair psychologist on a serious issue like this are both very irresponsible. Leave it to the professionals to make these assessments, please. Not a sports writer.