ROMAD1

Ausmus' dumb comment

Keith Law is a giant hypocrite and I'm not sure he even realizes it with the mental health stigma that still exists in the world.

For someone with a platform, this could be used as an opportunity to educate people about domestic violence and/or about the culture of using violence or other derogatory statements against women in jokes, rap lyrics and in everyday language and the minor ways each can add up to perpetuate the problem.

Insinuating that someone has a serious mental disorder isn't much better and perpetuates a different problem in society in regards to the way mental health is viewed and often hidden.

Someone called him out for that very thing in his twitter stream. Law, of course, claimed that he was being misinterpreted.

Law even went so far as to say that Ausmus apologizing for his comments wouldn't "unbeat some wives out there," which implies that Ausmus caused wives to be beaten. He's a pathetic little man.

You're deflecting. Nobody said he was a big meanie. You, however, said he never swore in front of the press. I'm simply reminding you that he did, many times.

To quote one of your famous lines, I never said that. I said he rarely swore in front of the camera so I guess I'm deflecting on a claim I never made.

Kinda' like the congressman who opposes gay rights and is later found the be having sex with his male intern?

Right? Or the anti-gun Congressman from CA who got busted running guns for Mexican drug gangs.

I'm surprised nobody brought up the angle that Aumus is joking about beating women while one of his players is being investigated for rape.

Right? Or the anti-gun Congressman from CA who got busted running guns for Mexican drug gangs.

Yep. Whatever the issue.

He still got 300,000 votes for Secretary of State in this last election. So sad.

Someone called him out for that very thing in his twitter stream. Law, of course, claimed that he was being misinterpreted.

Law even went so far as to say that Ausmus apologizing for his comments wouldn't "unbeat some wives out there," which implies that Ausmus caused wives to be beaten. He's a pathetic little man.

It also implies comments of that ilk (i.e. using abuse of some sort as an exaggeration for effect) cause or help facilitate abuse in general, something which I'm not at all sure about.

It also implies comments of that ilk (i.e. using abuse of some sort as an exaggeration for effect) cause or help facilitate abuse in general, something which I'm not at all sure about.

I wonder how many dead women Ralph Kramden caused with his "to the Moon, Alice" tagline. Probably its a PhD. dissertation waiting to happen.

I wonder how many dead women Ralph Kramden caused with his "to the Moon, Alice" tagline. Probably its a PhD. dissertation waiting to happen.

Of course the reason that was funny is because the set up was exactly that Ralph was powerless in that relationship. Alice was the prototypical woman that wore the pants in the household. Many layers to a cultural onion.

yeah but you NEVER joke about that....

Based on what I've heard of Ausmus's sense of humor is that it's very dry so he may have been trying to nuance things by reminding us it's just a game... a la "I've got kids".

A few years ago at a game my friend says, after another disastrous bullpen outing, I think this was a lefty/lefty thing that didn't work, Coke probably walked him... "at what point does Leyland just his mouth over the barrel of a shotgun?" Now was that insensitive to suicide victims or whatever you'd call them?

I'm always surprised at how many otherwise respectable people think beating children as punishment is acceptable.

Here is an example that goes beyond beating. The unrevealed abuse injury involved the father taking the kid to an associate's house so that the guy there could cut his finger off for stealing. Dad ran a major burglary ring. These kids go to our school and are now in foster care (younger siblings were involved also). They have an older boy who came up with a finger missing the previous year that was, at the time, attributed to getting caught in a bike chain. Imagine having these kids in class and trying to teach them regular stuff after that.

http://m.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_dae51dba-500c-5d19-ae67-fd65de181a72.html?mode=jqm

Leyland swore so much he could dine with Joe Pesci and Samuel Jackson and have no problem keeping up with the conversation.

Look, Brad said something dumb. It's the kind of thing a lot of us might joke about in a circle of friends and I think he forgot the company is a bit different. He apologized before anyone told him to.....he realized his mistake pretty quickly, and because HE realized it, I think everyone should drop it already.

I went to the store with my friend Eric and his 10 year old son Dylan....when we were leaving Dylan was playing with the crane game by the door and Eric said "come on, Dylan, let's go, don't make Daddy beat you". This guy never beat his kid, and the kid took it as a joke, but the looks people gave us were pretty interesting.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

People think that?

Have you ever heard anyone get outraged at this joke?

A mother & father are in court fighting over custody of their son. The judge asks the boy who he would like to live with. The son responds with "the Detroit Lions (or another team with a poor record) because they don't beat anyone."

I thought it was funny, but apparently that makes me a jerk...., BUT it is defending the 'man' so now I am not sure what that means.

You simply cannot be open and honest with the media. It was a joke, but that does not matter...nothing but canned responses please. Just ban the media from talking to athletes/coaches after game day. Too much media, too much time to fill on the air and too many manufactured controversies over nothing but a joke.

Note to media: You do not need to make every word that comes out of a high profile persons mouth some sort of 'teaching moment'...the population as a whole are a bunch of morons, but even the average person is not offended by this.

Edited by John_Brian_K

I thought it was funny, but apparently that makes me a jerk...., BUT it is defending the 'man' so now I am not sure what that means.

You simply cannot be open and honest with the media. It was a joke, but that does not matter...nothing but canned responses please. Just ban the media from talking to athletes/coaches after game day. Too much media, too much time to fill on the air and too many manufactured controversies over nothing but a joke.

Not to media: You do not need to make every word that comes out of a high profile persons mouth some sort of 'teaching moment'...the population as a whole are a bunch of morons, but even the average person is not offended by this.

Only a grievance-stroking jerk like Keith Law is... Although I'm sure Dave Dombrowski has a file open now in the event he needs to fire Brad on human resource management grounds.

Only a grievance-stroking jerk like Keith Law is... Although I'm sure Dave Dombrowski has a file open now in the event he needs to fire Brad on human resource management grounds.

I am never again even going to say that tools name. He makes his living off everyone talking about what an idiot he is. He goes off and spouts junk to make noise to make money. He is not getting any promotion from me. You will never see me type out his name or read any of his stories again.

I HATE the media that turns things on their heads to make money. It is worse than an ambulance chaser IMO.

I'm sorry for offending you isn't an apology, it's an insult. But the good news is it's a funny joke because we as a society take actual spousal abuse very seriously. For instance, the Tigers would never employee someone who beat up their wife. They'd never live it down in this society. Really any professional athlete trying to come back after doing something like that is unthinkable.

I am never again even going to say that tools name. He makes his living off everyone talking about what an idiot he is. He goes off and spouts junk to make noise to make money. He is not getting any promotion from me. You will never see me type out his name or read any of his stories again.

I HATE the media that turns things on their heads to make money. It is worse than an ambulance chaser IMO.

So, if one of your kids becomes an attorney you will say: "It sure is expensive to send you to [redacted] school"?

So, if one of your kids becomes an attorney you will say: "It sure is expensive to send you to [redacted] school"?

:laugh:

One or the other is not giving that kid any play.

I just noticed I un-followed Keith Law on twitter, but I don't remember why. I like a lot of his material especially when he talks about prospects. He can be unbearably arrogant though which is probably why I un-followed.

Holly Hornung, the spring butt (I don't say that as a pejorative) first commenter on all the News and Freep stories posted something to the effect that Keith Law was nursing his grievances because he can't get a job.

Holly Horning · Top Commenter · Owner/ President at Image Design Group

Hmm, is this the same guy who several years ago praised Seattle for swinging a great trade by getting rid of Doug Fister? The same guy who had the nebulous title of "Special Assistant" with the Blue Jays for a couple years and has been unable to find a job in baseball since? Pretty bad when you interview for multiple jobs with the Astros and get turned down....

Reply ·

· 59 · 22 hours ago

She must work odd hours because she's always the first commentator I see. Or, she's a bot.