Sign in to follow this  
FRM710

2014/2015 UM Basketball

June 15th has come and gone which means Beilein has given offers to members of the 2016 class.

PG

Thornton Jr 5* supposedly in very good position with him

Winston 4* Loved his visit...think MSU gets him

Gooding 3*

SG

Battles 5* Similar to Thornton, great visit and in a good positions

SF

Towns 3*

PF

Leaf 5*

C

Teske 3*

UM Hoops.com

Beilein ranked #3 for preparing players for NBA

from espn insider

Umhoops.com on the article:

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman published a list of the college coaches that best prepare their players for the NBA and Michigan head coach John Beilein was ranked third on the list.

He’s starting to churn out NBA guys lately — Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr., and Nik Stauskas, Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III this year. “Player development,” said one NBA scout. “Bottom line. He works on players’ individual games. There’s a lot of shooting, of course, but every practice he takes 20 or so minutes to focus on getting guys better.”

Beilein getting some national recognition;

CBS Sports

Discusses Beileins ability to turn low level recruits into NBA picks, even Lottery picks

Found the below article via this tweet:

Josh Bartelstein ‏@jbart20 31m

“@robdauster: fascinating look at michigan’s increased use of the pick-and-roll http://wp.me/p1awjm-26i5 ” most pro style offense in college

NBC Sports

Beilein getting some national recognition;

CBS Sports

Discusses Beileins ability to turn low level recruits into NBA picks, even Lottery picks

Found the below article via this tweet:

Josh Bartelstein ‏@jbart20 31m

“@robdauster: fascinating look at michigan’s increased use of the pick-and-roll http://wp.me/p1awjm-26i5 ” most pro style offense in college

NBC Sports

Watching the Spurs against the Heat and even listening to player's post game comments you could see and hear Beilein. Not mentioned as often in his recruiting analysis is the value he puts on team players along with passion and brain for the game.

From UMhoops.com

Walton: Michigan freshmen will surprise some people

By Dylan Burkhardt | 2014-15 Season | Posted on August 4, 2014 at 9:11 am

large12[1]

Seven of Michigan’s 12 scholarship players have never played a collegiate game. The 2014-15 Wolverines enter the season with as many unknowns as any team in the country.

Michigan’s incoming players range from highly touted – Kameron Chatman is the No. 27 player in the country – to almost unknown – Aubrey Dawkins and Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman were barely blips on the national recruiting radar. Deciphering what to expect from Michigan’s newcomers is difficult, but one way or another they are likely going to determine Michigan’s fate.

John Beilein is going to have to rely on some freshmen, but figuring out which freshmen is still nearly impossible in early August. Michigan sophomore Zak Irvin wasn’t ready to single out any freshman as standing out above the others.

“To be honest of you, all of them (have impressed me),” Irvin said while participating at Adidas Nations in California. “We have a talented freshman group coming in and they are just getting better and better each day.”

But Irvin’s fellow sophomore Derrick Walton was more forthcoming, noting that three Wolverines appear to have been overachievers this summer.

“I can say this,” Walton said. “Kam Chatman, Aubrey Dawkins and Muhammad Ali (Abdur-Rahkman) will surprise a lot of guys.”

Chatman, Dawkins and Abdur-Rahkman are three of Michigan’s most versatile incoming players. Chatman is known for his ability to play multiple positions, Dawkins is regarded as the best athlete of the incoming class and Abdur-Rahkman showed a LeVert-esque ability to slither his way to the basket on high school film.

Their raw skills are impressive, but Walton emphasized that those three have been quick to fit in and learn the game at a high level.

“They are willing to learn, they are very poised coming in as freshman and they are very athletic,” Walton continued when discussing the impressive trio. “They think the game at a high level and they play the game well.”

Michigan’s freshmen have been on campus since June, but the intensity level is going to ratchet up in August. Michigan is set to begin practice this week as it prepares for its preseason trip to Italy that will feature four games in ten days against various levels of professional competition.

“(Italy) is going to be a bonding moment,” Walton said. “(We have a) new team and we get to play against a bunch of older guys. So it’s going to do a lot for our freshmen and it’s going to pan out a lot of stuff for this upcoming year.

“It’s going to give them a taste of how practice really is, an overseas trip is going to be foreign to everybody, but it’s going to bring (the freshmen) up to speed about how we do things at Michigan and I’m looking forward to it.”

The Italy trip will give all of Michigan’s players a chance to bond, and grow up together. Zak Irvin is intrigued by the opportunity for Michigan’s returning players to come together with the freshmen in Italy.

“I am excited,” Irvin said. “It’s going to be my first time outside the country so that’s going to be nice, but also just get some chemistry going and grow as a team.”

Walton admitted that Michigan will probably be an underdog in the eyes of most people this season. The Wolverines lost three starters and a preseason All-American from last year’s roster. They return less production than anyone in the Big Ten and will have to rely heavily upon a large freshman class, but Walton is ready for the challenge.

“We’re going to be the underdog as usual,” Walton said. “I’m pretty sure there are a lot of teams that count us out and I’m pretty sure we’ll make a lot of noise being underdogs.”

Michigan added its first commitment in the class of 2016 today as 6-foot-11 big man Jon Teske pledged to John Beilein.

Teske chose Michigan over offers from Ohio State, Miami (FL) and Dayton along with interest from Wisconsin, Indiana and Purdue. The big man camped at Michigan twice this summer, attending Michigan’s College Practice Camp and Team Camp, and performed well enough to earn an offer.

John Beilein prioritized Teske throughout the July evaluation period, watching him at least once during all three live evaluation weekends despite Teske playing at smaller profile events. Today, the attention paid off with a commitment.

More on Teske including rankings, background story, scouting reports and video after the jump.

Rankings & Offers

Teske is rated as a 3-star prospect and held offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Dayton and Miami. Indiana, Purdue and Wisconsin were all showing interest and trying to get him on campus for a visit. He is rated as the No. 1 2016 big man in Ohio according to Triple Double Prospects.

He’s not rated by many scouting services because he missed the majority of the spring circuit with an injury. He’s a prospect that should be expected to make a jump in the next update of rankings after the July evaluation period is factored in.

Rivals: Not Ranked

http://www.mlive.com/wolverine...n_michigan.html

ANN ARBOR -- Following one move and a wide ripple effect, Duncan Robinson is now coming to Michigan.

It just took a few bizarre turns to get here.

A transfer from Division III Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts, Robinson verbally committed to U-M and coach John Beilein on Wednesday following an official visit to Ann Arbor.

Robinson tweeted on Wednesday afternoon, "I am proud to announce that I'll be transferring to the University of Michigan. Proud to be a Wolverine!"

With the commitment, Robinson snagged Michigan's lone available scholarship for the 2014-15 season. The 6-foot-8 forward, however, will redshirt the upcoming season and become eligible in 2015-16.

Once he's available to take the court, Robinson will give Michigan a shooter able to play inside and out. As a freshman at Williams in 2013-14, he averaged 17.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game in a school-record 1,110 minutes played (34.7 mpg), all while making 81-of-179 3-pointers (45.3 percent)

Robinson, from New Castle, New Hampshire, chose Michigan over a scholarship offer from Davidson and heavy interest from some Big 12, ACC and mid-major programs.

"He's a helluva player," said Michael Crotty Jr., coach of Middlesex Magic, Robinson's old AAU team. "I think he could contribute next season if he were able to. But using that year off he'll be able to get stronger and more explosive. He has a chance to become a star if there’s growth in those areas."

Robinson's road to Michigan oddly enough began in Detroit.

"It really is amazing how this all got started," said Phillips Exeter (N.H.) Academy coach Jay Tilton, Robinson's high school coach.

After the Pistons fired general manager Joe Dumars in mid-April, a six-week search for his replacement finally landed on Marist College head coach Jeff Bower.

Bower accepted the position, vaulting from a low-major college coach to an NBA GM.

That left Marist scrambling for a new coach as the summer churned toward key recruiting periods. The coaching search in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., ultimately landed on Mike Maker, a 48-year-old who had led tiny Williams College to a 147-32 record and two national championship game appearances in six years.

Maker, who previously served on Beilein's staff at West Virginia in 2005–2007, accepted, jumping from Division III to Division I.

That left Williams, one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country, without a coach.

It also, in turn, drew many college coaches' attention to the potential availability of Williams' star, Duncan Robinson. Whereas some outsiders may not have inquired into his potential transfer, the change in the program's coaching position drew suitors, according to Crotty.

"Who knows if this would have gone down this way if (Maker) hadn't left?" he said. "Who knows if (Robinson) would have even thought about leaving?"

As the suitors grew in numbers, Robinson soon learned how much he was valued.

Even while numerous Division I schools came calling, though, Williams remained a potential home for Robinson next season. Upon being named Maker's replacement, new Williams coach Kevin App immediately traveled to New Castle to meet with Robinson and his mother.

App made a pitch. Robinson considered.

Ultimately, it came down to Davidson, where Robinson visited last week; and Michigan, where he visited from Monday to Wednesday.

Michigan won out.

"He will know how to fit in Beilein's offensive system," Crotty said. "That’s a system that's made for him."

"He has a unique skill set that's perfect for Michigan," Tilton said. "At 6-8 or 6-9, to be able to put the ball on the deck like he does, and score with either hand, and shoot it with tremendous range, he can thrive as a player there."

The system at Williams was a good, as well. Robinson started every game in his first season, was named the National Freshman of the Year and a Fourth Team All-American by D3Hoops.com.

His efforts propelled Williams to a 28-5 record and a date in the NCAA Division III championship game, where it lost 75-73 to Wisconsin-Whitewater on a last-second shot. Robinson scored 30 points in a win over Amherst College in the national semifinals to help Williams get there.

Before departing Williams for Marist, Maker called Robinson "the most talented player that we've ever recruited" after he was named national freshman of the year.

Coming out of Exeter Academy in 2013, Robinson selected Williams over a scholarship offer from Division II Merrimack College. A few Division I colleges had sniffed around him, but none took a bite.

"He didn't have any offers, but he picked Williams because he really wanted to go to there," Tilton said. "Am I surprised at the success he ended up having there? No. No one has more passion for the game than Duncan. ... He was always in a search to get better."

Some of his teammates, though, from both Exeter and the Middlesex Magic, landed at the DI level.

"He was under-recruited, but not by Michigan -- he wasn't at that level at that point," Crotty said, adding that the lack of offers from DI schools was "perplexing" and "definitely got to (Robinson) a little and bothered him."

Since arriving at Williams, though, Robinson grew from 6-foot-6 to 6-foot-8 and added roughly 20 pounds.

Now, following a few twists, he's coming to Michigan.

"It’s an amazing chain of events — one of the more unique transfers you’ll here," Crotty said.

First story is from UMhoops.com Teske

Second story is from mlive.com on Robinson

First story is from UMhoops.com Teske

Second story is from mlive.com on Robinson

I like these commits...the program needs the stability of some guys who are going to be around more than 2 years.

Robinson will be interesting to watch. 6'7 or 6'8 player who has a strong outside shot and some ability to drive is a good thing. Give him a season of conditioning, after seeing what a summer can do for Stauskas and Levert, and he could be a solid contributor.

I expect Teske to be a much higher rated player by the time he reaches UM. 6'11 nice to see some more size.

UM wins opening game of their Italian trip, 99-60.

Michigan Basketball @umichbball · 6m

One more thing: @AustinHatch30 led us in 'The Victors' following today's victory. So fitting. #ForzaBlu

Michigan Basketball @umichbball · 7m

Finally, MAAR closed with 11 points, seven rebounds, three assists, two steals. #ForzaBlu

Michigan Basketball @umichbball · 8m

Final numbers @rickybdoyle 12 points and @CarisLeVert 11 points, seven rebounds, six assists, five steals #ForzaBlu

Michigan Basketball @umichbball · 9m

Final numbers for @DerrickWalton10 - 10 points, five rebounds, three assists, two steals #ForzaBlu

Michigan Basketball @umichbball · 9m

Kam Chatman had 12 points, three rebounds, three assists. #ForzaBlu

Michigan Basketball @umichbball · 10m

A few final stats - @zirvin21 led with 27 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists #ForzaBlu