Rest In Peace to the Radio Legend Casey Kasem, Detroit native. I listened to him as a kid. Just make sure that when you speak of Casey's passing today that you don't do it coming out of a record that is up tempo. I mean they do it to you all the time, you gotta come out of a f**king up tempo record and talk about somebody dying. They do it to you all the time, I don't know why they do it. And where are those pictures you were supposed to see.........Is Don here.....Get Don on the phone.........

Rest In Peace to the Radio Legend Casey Kasem, Detroit native. I listened to him as a kid. Just make sure that when you speak of Casey's passing today that you don't do it coming out of a record that is up tempo. I mean they do it to you all the time, you gotta come out of a f**king up tempo record and talk about somebody dying. They do it to you all the time, I don't know why they do it. And where are those pictures you were supposed to see.........Is Don here.....Get Don on the phone.........

Well done.

I grew up listening to his show on AFN. We used to tape it on our little cassette recorders on Saturday so that we could listen to it over the following week.

I'm so sad that his life ended with family fighting and power struggles. Dementia is the worst.

I also used to listen to his radio show every weekend. I also watched his TV show "America's Top 10".

Back when I liked music.

Wonderful reference usage here! Snuggles would be proud.

Warning: Language

Z6gPSSYxex0

Casey finally made his own record. "My Long Distance Dedication".

Nice reference.

Loved his show and listened to it for many years. Even after I got away from top forty poop I could still listen to his show. He seemed like a genuinely good person. R.I.P.

Casey finally made his own record. "My Long Distance Dedication".

He actually "Bubbled Under" (# 103) in 1964 with this one:

Lf3pb-DPYQ0

They still play his show on the 70s channel on Sirius. That's a fun blast from the past.

Listened to it all the time growing up.

Like Biff, I listen to him every weekend as I am able.

I also found a site where I can download selected episodes (did you point me to it, Biff?) for $ 0.99.

AT40 Chart Store Home Page

I'll be listening to his 1st AT40 tomorrow (7/11/1970) tomorrow in honor of him.

All of his countdowns:

AT40 REGULAR SHOWS INDEX

RIP, Casey.

I remember hoping to get out of church in time so I could hear the top 2 or 3. Dr. Rice was long winded sometimes

I didn't know he was still doing Shaggy until 2009. My son watched it in around 2004/2005 and I assumed it was another guy,

Listened to it all the time growing up.

Like Biff, I listen to him every weekend as I am able.

I also found a site where I can download selected episodes (did you point me to it, Biff?) for $ 0.99.

AT40 Chart Store Home Page

I'll be listening to his 1st AT40 tomorrow (7/11/1970) tomorrow in honor of him.

All of his countdowns:

AT40 REGULAR SHOWS INDEX

RIP, Casey.

Troppens gave us that hook up.

All I wanted to do from the time I was about 7 was be a DJ. I still remember mimicking Casey Kasem & pretty much every other voice on the radio. After high school, I ended up at Specs Howard & after graduation nailed down my first paid radio gig. I had been there about a year when I had my first big setback. I thought I was doing everything well, living the dream, when I was notified by my program director that I was being demoted back to the overnight shift with the hopes I would quit. I was devastated.

I called my mom in tears - told her I was sorry I had wasted her money. A couple of days later I got a letter in the mail. Every letter from mom always had $20 in it along with a nice note. This one included an article cut out from Reader's Digest.

It told of a DJ who was given a similar demotion & warning, & was similarly devastated. While going on the air for what he thought was his last ever air-shift, the 20-something DJ remembered an article he had read about the artist that was playing. He shared that on the air, & the phones rang off the hook. He was energized, so he did it again. Same result.

With a renewed sense of who he was, Casey Kasem went on believing in himself - & inspired a whole generation of radio talent, including me.

I have been blessed by God to live that dream for almost 25 years. I still credit Casey's story for giving me the confidence to keep going. He will be missed.

All I wanted to do from the time I was about 7 was be a DJ. I still remember mimicking Casey Kasem & pretty much every other voice on the radio. After high school, I ended up at Specs Howard & after graduation nailed down my first paid radio gig. I had been there about a year when I had my first big setback. I thought I was doing everything well, living the dream, when I was notified by my program director that I was being demoted back to the overnight shift with the hopes I would quit. I was devastated.

I called my mom in tears - told her I was sorry I had wasted her money. A couple of days later I got a letter in the mail. Every letter from mom always had $20 in it along with a nice note. This one included an article cut out from Reader's Digest.

It told of a DJ who was given a similar demotion & warning, & was similarly devastated. While going on the air for what he thought was his last ever air-shift, the 20-something DJ remembered an article he had read about the artist that was playing. He shared that on the air, & the phones rang off the hook. He was energized, so he did it again. Same result.

With a renewed sense of who he was, Casey Kasem went on believing in himself - & inspired a whole generation of radio talent, including me.

I have been blessed by God to live that dream for almost 25 years. I still credit Casey's story for giving me the confidence to keep going. He will be missed.

Great story, Hutch.

Keep on reaching for those stars!

Referencing the rant was not a knock on my part. In fact, I respected him all the more for it because it showed he's human and has days just like the rest of this.

DJ Hutch, confirm this with me.................rants like this happen very very often, and for me they were usually targeted at myself. I did 25 years as a full time radio person and only destroyed one pair of headphones out of anger (30 minutes of work on a project on Audition was wiped out by a ****** computer that needed to be replaced, the headphones where the closest throwable thing within reach - I had a backup pair, like cops keep an extra gun to plant on people).

sidenote:

Our engineer called an emergency meeting for the air staff one day in the area behind the radio station where the nicotine addicts used to go. On a tarp was that computer........He handed us a hockey stick and said everyone gets a turn at it until there is nothing left to smash...........). We went Office Space on that thing. The General Manager actually approved this.

I remember hoping to get out of church in time so I could hear the top 2 or 3. Dr. Rice was long winded sometimes

I didn't like top 40 so I didn't listen to the countdowns by choice, but you could hardly avoid hearing Casey often enough. He certainly was as good as anyone at what he did, in fact one of few so good at what he did as to become an institution.

My stepmom worked at a radio station so we'd get the records of the AT40 at our house every Monday. It was fun. I don't know where those things ended up though.