LooseGoose

2016 Presidential Election - Who will the nominees be? Make your prediction here.

Yet even though manufacturing jobs were leaving Detroit and Flint at least 30 years before Clinton, it's all Clinton's fault and the good things that happened during Clinton is just luck.

In retrospect Clinton's biggest economic management mistake was probably reappointing Greenspan twice. He would have been easier to replace before so much of an aura built up around him - but who knew in 1996 that he was such a disaster in waiting?

Edited by Gehringer_2

The significance of Bernie winning in Michigan is that it will mean he almost certainly did better with African American voters than has been the case heretofore.

The biggest reason 538 has Hilliary winning the Democratic nomination easily is because she holds a huge advantage in polling with the black community. As in an almost order of magnitude difference between her and Bernie. If that holds, it is extremely difficult for Bernie to win in any state with a significant black community or win the nomination overall.

This has been one of the most interesting things about the race for me, which is... it's not just that many African Americans aren't voting for Bernie... many seem to really not like him. And vehemently hate it when people whitesplain it to them.

This is really perplexing to me.

This has been one of the most interesting things about the race for me, which is... it's not just that many African Americans aren't voting for Bernie... many seem to really not like him. And vehemently hate it when people whitesplain it to them.

It's not surprising to me. Bill was wildly popular with blacks and still is. Bernie is a white old man and looks like a curmudgeon.

It's not surprising to me. Bill was wildly popular with blacks and still is. Bernie is a white old man and looks like a curmudgeon.

From my reading, its more than that with Bernie. It's not just his looks. But the Bill & Hill component is definitely true.

I think the incarceration statistics from the Clinton era and her support of mandatory minimums and continuing the war on drugs should do ample splaining.

I think the incarceration statistics from the Clinton era and her support of mandatory minimums and continuing the war on drugs should do ample splaining.

Blacks as a group do not see it that way, and further suggests they view other blacks as more criminal-like than other segments of the population.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Sanders also supported the crime bill. For the life of me, I still can't believe people complain about being incarcerated for committing crimes. If they didn't commit crime, they wouldn't be incarcerated.

Edited by Motown Bombers

On twitter I see accusations of Bernie being racist.

That doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

On twitter I see accusations of Bernie being racist.

That doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Apparently you can't say ghetto anymore. From what I gather, that makes him racists.

Apparently you can't say ghetto anymore. From what I gather, that makes him racists.

It was even before then when I was seeing it. But that didn't help these matters.

Sanders also supported the crime bill. For the life of me, I still can't believe people complain about being incarcerated for committing crimes. If they didn't commit crime, they wouldn't be incarcerated.

Smoking marijuana, or even a harder drugs like meth or crack, are not crimes. Neither is having sex with your girlfriend when she's 15 and you're 17. Yet, I know a person who was sent to jail for each (marijuana and sex w/gf that is), neither were black though.

The problem is, in this country, largely thanks to the lobbying efforts of for-profit prisons on society, we have an obsession with locking people up for anything and everything. Drug crimes especially. These drug crimes are what has caused the explosion in the prison population in the U.S. People who get caught with small amounts of drugs or narcotics, using or selling, are going to jail for 3-5-7-10+ years. They are getting locked away in prison at the cost of $40,000 per year and have a life-altering felonies on their record. That isn't right. Instead, if we were a morally just and fiscally responsible nation, we would get these people help and treatment for their problem. We would work towards creating programs that combat recidivism.

Blacks in particular, were largely targeted by the war on drugs and makeup too large of a percentage of the prison population. Mandatory minimums and felony sentencing disproportionately ruined the lives of many blacks, especially younger persons. Recidivism statistics in the black community are appalling because the prison system in this country often hardens the "criminal" instead of helping them back into society so they can improve their lives.

Hillary and Bill supported policies like tough on drugs laws, three strikes rulings as we saw in California and of course mandatory minimum sentencing because they were still politically popular at the time. They chose that path in 1994 over that of treatment and assistance. They were perfectly willing, as were most politicians, to ruin people's lives in the name of scoring political brownie points with the voting populous. Bernie did vote for the 1994 Crime Bill, but not because he supported mandatory minimums, the war on drugs, incarceration over treatment, etc. And while his vote was wrong, he has not supported those destructive policies throughout his career as the Clinton's did/have.

Smoking marijuana, or even a harder drugs like meth or crack, are not crimes. Neither is having sex with your girlfriend when she's 15 and you're 17. Yet, I know a person who was sent to jail for each (marijuana and sex w/gf that is), neither were black though.

The problem is, in this country, largely thanks to the lobbying efforts of for-profit prisons on society, we have an obsession with locking people up for anything and everything. Drug crimes especially. These drug crimes are what has caused the explosion in the prison population in the U.S. People who get caught with small amounts of drugs or narcotics, using or selling, are going to jail for 3-5-7-10+ years. They are getting locked away in prison at the cost of $40,000 per year and have a life-altering felonies on their record. That isn't right. Instead, if we were a morally just and fiscally responsible nation, we would get these people help and treatment for their problem. We would work towards creating programs that combat recidivism.

Blacks in particular, were largely targeted by the war on drugs and makeup too large of a percentage of the prison population. Mandatory minimums and felony sentencing disproportionately ruined the lives of many blacks, especially younger persons. Recidivism statistics in the black community are appalling because the prison system in this country often hardens the "criminal" instead of helping them back into society so they can improve their lives.

Hillary and Bill supported policies like tough on drugs laws, three strikes rulings as we saw in California and of course mandatory minimum sentencing because they were still politically popular at the time. They chose that path in 1994 over that of treatment and assistance. They were perfectly willing, as were most politicians, to ruin people's lives in the name of scoring political brownie points with the voting populous. Bernie did vote for the 1994 Crime Bill, but not because he supported mandatory minimums, the war on drugs, incarceration over treatment, etc. And while his vote was wrong, he has not supported those destructive policies throughout his career as the Clinton's did/have.

Calling BS. No first time offender for marijuana goes to jail. I know. I was arrested back in August.

Once again Clinton is responsible only for the bad things that happen and Sanders is only responsible for the good things. It really is a no win situation. Violent crime was at an all time high in the early 90's. It has deceased steadily since the bill was passed.

Calling BS. No first time offender for marijuana goes to jail. I know. I was arrested back in August.

Once again Clinton is responsible only for the bad things that happen and Sanders is only responsible for the good things. It really is a no win situation. Violent crime was at an all time high in the early 90's. It has deceased steadily since the bill was passed.

But did it decrease because of the bill?

And on the subject of marijuana laws, it seems your arrest was recent. Back in the mid 1990's, people were routinely going to jail on first offenses for marijuana-related arrests.

And yeah, when it is provable that Sanders stood up against the war on drugs and mandatory minimum sentencing throughout his political career and Clinton did not, you can credit Bernie for the good and blame Hillary for the bad.

But did it decrease because of the bill?

And on the subject of marijuana laws, it seems your arrest was recent. Back in the mid 1990's, people were routinely going to jail on first offenses for marijuana-related arrests.

And yeah, when it is provable that Sanders stood up against the war on drugs and mandatory minimum sentencing throughout his political career and Clinton did not, you can credit Bernie for the good and blame Hillary for the bad.

My brother was arrested around 2001 for selling marijuana and didn't serve jail time although he was charged with a felony. The mid 90's are over so apparently this crime bill doesn't affect the people being incarcerated today.

Despite Sanders war on drugs, he still supported this bill.

fwiw, the crime bill also had the AWB.

I can see why people don't like it, but there are/were things to like in that bill.

Not that it matters to his base, and it's 4 months late and a nickle short, but it is obvious that Donald J is at least as much of a whore as his fellow politicians. Especially once you take a look a all the scams he allows to attach his name. He really is a snake oil salesman.

No wonder he has hoodwinked the rubes

Here is the latest...

Donald Trump -- Trump Network

The guy ranks right up there with TV ministers

fwiw, the crime bill also had the AWB.

I can see why people don't like it, but there are/were things to like in that bill.

Bernie articulated that point Sunday during the debate. In a perfect world, which neither us or politicians in D.C. live in, the AWB would have been its own, separate piece of legislation getting an up or down vote.

Comparing Hillary and Bernie's records on crime though is night and day IMO. This is another issue where it is clear both of the Clinton's took the politically calculated route and Bernie did not, in-spite of voting for the 94 bill.

If Trump is able to legally get his taxable income below $500k from a grossly higher number, then he truly is a wonderful person like he is claiming. I will never begrudge someone who is able to lower their taxable income. Taxing income is morally reprehensible.

It's all those failed scams er businesses that keeps his income down. Not counting what he is probably hiding offshore.

Just got done voting. In and out. The black turnout was surprising. I was the only white guy there. That probably doesn't bode well for Sanders.

Head plaintiff wants to pull out of the Trump University class action lawsuit...

The Southern California yoga instructor wants to withdraw from a federal class-action lawsuit that says Trump University fleeced students with an empty promise to teach them real estate. Her lawyers said the Republican presidential front-runner and his team have put her "through the wringer" and made the prospect of a trial unbearable. A judge will consider the request Friday, four days before Florida and Ohio hold their primaries.

Trump's attorneys say the lawsuit should be dismissed if Makaeff is allowed to withdraw, arguing that their trial strategy centers on her. They deposed her four times and identify her as "the critical witness" in a court filing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-university-plaintiff-seeks-withdraw-lawsuit-193519752--election.html