LooseGoose

2016 Presidential Election - Who will the nominees be? Make your prediction here.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Bernie might indeed have. But not enough people vote on either side in primaries. On the dem side, the primary electorate is too small for a candidate to get the nomination without a majority of Black support and Bernie didn't have it. But Bernie also didn't carry any of the baggage that sunk Hillary - so I have to agree that it's hard to believe he would not have done better in the general than Clinton. 

The bottom line truth turned out to be that the dislike of Hillary outside her base of support was actually deeper and more durable than the dislike of Trump outside his. for cultural reasons Hillary supporters probably still can't believe this is true but it's a proven fact at this point. And I don't know if any program coming from Hillary would have made a difference because she had too little credibility with those to whom program was important - which is to say those looking for change. She really only ended up appealing to identity politics voters, and that is a trap for the Dems. The Dems are wrong if they think they can sit back and let the demographics swing to them because it's a false premise. Fox's demographic may be old, but it keeps renewing itself because there are enough people who get more conservative as they get older to keep replenishing it. And while the number of people coming into the country as immigrants might keep increasing, after the second generation they pretty much lose that identity as voters. Blacks are really the only minority that has a durable political identity because they are the only group that doesn't rapidly lose it's identity.

This is 100% correct.

I think the disconnect has to be based on geography. I think liberals (especially those in urban environs) have this stereotype about rural folks being isolated or disconnected to the concerns of urban areas. And, to be honest, that disconnect is a tangible thing.

But the inverse is also true... the person living in Cook County, Illinois (be it Chicago or in the burbs) probably has less understanding of the problems facing someone in Knox County, Illinois. And this same dichotomy exists between urban and rural in practically every state in the United States.

That has to be addressed somehow... if you want the Dems to win in Congress and in the Executive, you push for them to build a party that can at least *compete* in rural and industrial class areas. They aren't positioned to do this currently.  

Your last point was also interesting (political durability)... this was the first election of my life where white voters (largely) voted like an interest group. The Dem models were built on an assumption that they would hold or lose small amounts of support amongst traditionally Democratic voters (especially in the Upper Midwest) while gaining voters from a more diverse demographic field. They have about four years to fix this (two, really, if you consider midterms)... if that trend holds up, they will have trouble gaining much traction in future years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

OF course he did a deeeeeep investigation......

Seems totally possible.  Defendants get convicted or found not guilty without testifying themselves quite regularly.

JFK drafted his letter announcing the invasion/bombing of Cuba in October of 1962.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

OF course he did a deeeeeep investigation......

Man, looks like someone is desperate to run interference for POTUS.

Don't get me wrong, if Comey did something wrong he should be held accountable, but this feels of changing the subject to give POTUS cover