LooseGoose

2016 Presidential Election - Who will the nominees be? Make your prediction here.

After talking about it in another thread I thought I'd actually start this thread to test the prognostication skills of this forum.

Please post your prediction for the 2016 nominees for President. Obviously the main focus will be on the Democrat and Republican nominees, but if you think there will be a viable 3rd party candidate go ahead and include them in your prediction.

Feel free to change your choices anytime but please do so in a new post rather than editing an old one since being earlier with the correct forecast counts.

Any candidate is permissible, dark horses are encouraged. If you want feel free to explain your picks or just post them either way is good.

You can find Wikipedia's lists of potential candidates here:

United States presidential election, 2016 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll start things with:

Dem -

Elizabeth Warren - President

John Hickenlooper - Vice President

I think Hillary will implode and Warren is ambitious enough to run against her from the left. There are enough Dems skeptical of Hillary's policies and past that Warren pulls a stunner. Hickenlooper as a western Governor balances the ticket.

Rep -

Rand Paul - President

Susana Martinez - Vice President

I think in the end Rand Paul's charisma and fund raising abilities win him the nomination. Martinez as a Governor, a woman and Hispanic touches a lot of bases as a VP candidate.

I'll start things with:

Dem -

I think Hillary will implode and Warren is ambitious enough to run against her from the left. There are enough Dems skeptical of Hillary's policies and past that Warren pulls a stunner. Hickenlooper as a western Governor balances the ticket.

Rep -

Rand Paul - President

I think in the end Rand Paul's charisma and fund raising abilities win him the nomination. Martinez as a Governor, a woman and Hispanic touches a lot of bases as a VP candidate.

Rand Paul would definitely create sizzle.

Rand Paul would definitely create sizzle.

I'll admit that one of the reasons I like the thought of Warren vs Paul is because the debates have a chance to be something other than snoozefests for once.

I'll start things with:

Dem -

Rep -

Rand Paul - President

I agree with Romad this would be a great election campaign for a change, but I'm skeptical.

On the GOP side, I don't think Paul can win through - I just think there isn't enough overlap between Paul's libertarianism and the Tea Party's populism for that marriage to hold through the primaries. It won't be that hard for the TP to find someone who they like on more issues with less conflict. And if it's someone who isn't even on the radar today as part of the establishment that will just be an asset to him/her with the TP.

On DEM side. We can only wish. If Warren won through it would mean the DEMs are not just as controlled by big money (it's just different big money than the GOP big money) and the consultants as most of us sadly believe. She's going to have huge fund raising issues as she won't be able to do the 'hopey/changy' thing that raised so much small donor money for 'O' nearly as well. I like Warren's politics but she is more like that 5th grade teacher that wants you to behave than the ebony knight in shining armor Obama was. :laugh::silly:

Edited by Gehringer_2

I'll start things with:

Dem -

Rep -

Rand Paul - President

You wish Elizabeth Warren will be the D nominee, because that's the only way your Libertarian boyfriend stands any chance of becoming president! :wink::laugh:

For the record, I would be shocked if Elizabeth Warren won the D nomination for president, although I would be thrilled if conditions were such that they would allow her to win and become president. I just don't think there's a flying burrito's chance of a Warren nom even happening, for the same reason the Republicans would never nominate Rick Santorum or Herman Cain or Newt Gingrich or Michelle Bachmann or Rick Perry or Rand Paul or Ron Paul or Sarah Palin or Donald Trump: the Dems know she can't win a general election.

It may be the safest bet, but I think Bush fatigue will kill his chances.

You wish Elizabeth Warren will be the D nominee, because that's the only way your Libertarian boyfriend stands any chance of becoming president! :wink::laugh:

I like Rand Paul but I'm really not in love with him. That said I don't see anyone else out there that I'd favor over him right now. Scott Walker would be a great lightening rod but I'm not especially enamored of him either. Mike Pence or Mitch Daniels might be the best choice for actual governing but I doubt their ability to win the nomination IF they even ran.

I agree with Romad this would be a great election campaign for a change, but I'm skeptical.

On DEM side. We can only wish. If Warren won through it would mean the DEMs are not just as controlled by big money (it's just different big money than the GOP big money) and the consultants as most of us sadly believe. She's going to have huge fund raising issues as she won't be able to do the 'hopey/changy' thing that raised so much small donor money for 'O' nearly as well. I like Warren's politics but she is more like that 5th grade teacher that wants you to behave than the ebony knight in shining armor Obama was. :laugh::silly:

Wouldn't it be nice to have an election where both sides were excited about their candidates? Where the candidates actually debated rather than recite rote lines and try to play gotcha?

I know many if not most Dems were excited about Obama and the same for Bill Clinton at least the 2nd time around. For me, I've not been excited about a Republican candidate since 1984 - 30 years, that's sad. Bush, Bush, Dole, Bush, Bush, McCain, Romney is a sad recital for a conservative. Bush41 is a hell of a man in many ways but not a conservative. Dole is a good man and a hero but a horrible personality. Bush43 again I think is a good person but never should have been nominated. Again McCain is much like Dole incredible military story but a rotten personality and no conservative. Romney I wouldn't want to work for but as a friend I think he'd be marvelous and again a good man. I think he would have governed well but again the wrong personality and not good at "connecting" with people on the trail. It's a damned sad litany.

I'd throw Coumo's hat in the ring. Any Gov from NY is going to have experience working both sides of the ideological divide. He has proven his ability to win a big sophisticated media state. I just don't know if he is willing to take on Hills. But if he was ever interested this is his best shot. If Hills wins, he doesn't have another shot till '24 and that would make him 68 going into a first term. If Hills loses he would be faced with running against an incumbent President in '20. Neither are good choices for him.

EDIT: also his apparent avoidance of a public profile in 'bridgegate' could be a sign he is keeping his powder dry.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I'd throw Coumo's hat in the ring. Any Gov from NY is going to have experience working both sides of the ideological divide. He has proven his ability to win a big sophisticated media state. I just don't know if he is willing to take on Hills. But if he was ever interested this is his best shot. If Hills wins, he doesn't have another shot till '24 and that would make him 68 going into a first term. If Hills loses he would be faced with running against an incumbent President in '20. Neither are good choices for him.

EDIT: also his apparent avoidance of a public profile in 'bridgegate' could be a sign he is keeping his powder dry.

I agree. I mentioned him in the other thread where we were discussing this. His Dad never could really pull the trigger and run, will the son?

My question for any Hillary supporter: who are the people who "love" her? Does she inspire that kind of emotion? She seems more like Richard Nixon in a pantsuit to me but that's too charitable to her intellect and moral courage.

• Like 1

It may be the safest bet, but I think Bush fatigue will kill his chances.

I don't think Bush fatigue will be a factor in two years. A lot of people have a soft spot for GWB, and as far as that goes he set a really low bar for Jeb Bush, who has only to look reasonably intelligent and not commit any unforced errors to win the nom. He's not the perfect candidate, but at this moment, he's the best one you got.

As for Rand Paul, this might not be you, but I am continually amazed by people in the live-free-or-die bubble who believe that Rand Paul has broad popular appeal and that we are only one domestic spending bill from a popular uprising against the government. The majority of people outside the bubble think Rand Paul is a whack job, if they know who he is at all. Plus, that his toupee looks like a senior citizen's pubic hair isn't helping him, either. I will give you five dollars if Rand Paul wins the R nod in 2016, and ten dollars if he becomes president in 2017.

I don't think Bush fatigue will be a factor in two years. A lot of people have a soft spot for GHWB,

FIFY

My question for any Hillary supporter: who are the people who "love" her? Does she inspire that kind of emotion? She seems more like Richard Nixon in a pantsuit to me but that's too charitable to her intellect and moral courage.

Come on you gotta think outside the box. She is a woman! How cool would that be! Soon enough all these kids who are voting for the 'cool ones' will realize they had it better with the 'the old white dude'. Either way it really does not matter TBH.

Come on you gotta think outside the box. She is a woman! How cool would that be! Soon enough all these kids who are voting for the 'cool ones' will realize they had it better with the 'the old white dude'. Either way it really does not matter TBH.

You sound like Oblong used to, minus the skill and wit.

Hillary will be the nominee for the Democrats if she chooses to run.

I've heard that Warren already said she wouldn't run.

Schweitzer has the bolo tie power, but I don't think he's a real threat to Hillary.

On the GOP side, it seems really wide open to me. I feel like out of the current crop Jeb gives them the best chance to win, but I don't know if that's who they will select.

Hillary will be the nominee for the Democrats if she chooses to run.

I've heard that Warren already said she wouldn't run.

Schweitzer has the bolo tie power, but I don't think he's a real threat to Hillary.

On the GOP side, it seems really wide open to me. I feel like out of the current crop Jeb gives them the best chance to win, but I don't know if that's who they will select.

Seriously, if the 2016 election is Bush/Clinton, I think cynicism will be so high turnout would be lucky to hit 25%.

As said about the gop candidates... I think Hillary fits that mold. Sort of an its her turn thing. Dems dont have that history. In fact I cant think of a case where such a front runner got the nomination 8 years later.... unless you want to go back to Reagan but he was never fully in the race in 1968. It would be a unique thing. Obama was no lock in 08.

Rubio defeats Hillary.

A year ago I would have said Hillary wins but Obama is making her job much more difficult.

Seriously, if the 2016 election is Bush/Clinton, I think cynicism will be so high turnout would be lucky to hit 25%.

I gotta' say, I hate politics but that would be awesome. Bush V Clinton all over again.

That would be entertaining.

I will give you five dollars if Rand Paul wins the R nod in 2016, and ten dollars if he becomes president in 2017.

With that $$ I could have won $260M last night and joined the 1%!!

As I said earlier I'm not a Paulite nor am I wildly in love with Rand, but right now I think he's the one to beat. I think his Dad's political network and fund raising apparatus will help him early on, the question is who else will be on stage to challenge him.

I don't dislike Jeb personally I just don't see him winning a series of Republican primaries. It's entirely possible the nominees for both parties are people we're not even talking about yet and in some ways that would be refreshing.

Edited by TigersSlappy