davidsb

05/28/2014: Detroit Tigers (Sanchez) at Oakland Athletics (Kazmir) 10:05p

Wow. I had no idea Benoit was having such a good year.

I think Benoit is pretty good, but pitching in Petco will definitely help. I still wish he was a Tiger.

Benoit has been one of the best relievers in baseball over the last 5 years. There was always talk that he didn't like closing games out and then that subsided when he was forced into that role last year b/c the Tigers had no other option. But, he pitched terrible in the playoffs from an ERA standpoint and then specifically signed with a team where he would be the setup man. So, there could have been some truth to that b/c he had no chance at that role in SD with Huston Street firmly entrenched as their closer and there were plenty of other teams where he could have signed that gave him a much better chance to close out games.

I'd still would have like Benoit back, either way, though and then figure out the closer later. I think budget issues prevented his signing more than anything.

Edited by Scottwood

I understand why they let Benoit walk, but he is a great reliever. Not good -- great. I don't blame him for the Ortiz thing in the ALCS. That mess was not of his making, and the situation was not the type he was accustomed to entering. That inning was on Leyland, IMO.

As for Nathan, I have only read the article about what he said, and I just took it as him lamenting that the ball wasn't caught, rather than him specifically blaming the whole loss on Nick. If he was trying to pin it on Nick, obviously he shouldn't have. But I guess I'd have to hear the context and tone in his voice to know for sure.

Benoit has been one of the best relievers in baseball over the last 5 years. There was always talk that he didn't like closing games out and then that subsided when he was forced into that role last year b/c the Tigers had no other option. But, he pitched terrible in the playoffs from an ERA standpoint and then specifically signed with a team where he would be the setup man. So, there could have been some truth to that b/c he had no chance at that role in SD with Huston Street firmly entrenched as their closer and there were plenty of other teams where he could have signed that gave him a much better chance to close out games.

I'd still would have like Benoit back, either way, though and then figure out the closer later. I think budget issues prevented his signing more than anything.

That was always my assertion with him.

Sounded to me like he was trying to deflect blame from himself. Doing so at the cost of a rookie hot corner guy. That was how I heard it.

Nick knows he messed up. He doesn't need to be reminded privately or publicly. Cheap shot by Joe Nothin' - who has a slider that don't slide and a fastball that ain't fast.

Nick knows he messed up. He doesn't need to be reminded privately or publicly. Cheap shot by Joe Nothin' - who has a slider that don't slide and a fastball that ain't fast.

yup

I don't think it wouldn't bother Joba to close.

On 5/29/2014 at 12:26 AM, jbhappy said:

Whatever happened to ToledoTigerFan, anyway?

I'm right here, but don't tell anyone.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, ToledoTigerFan said:

I'm right here, but don't tell anyone.

I was seriously wondering if you'd died right before a particular game. glad you're still around!