Zakk_Wylde

Where did everybody go?!?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but the Tigers board is the main one I pay attention.

There seems to be a sharp decrease in activity on this board in the last year or so. I'm more of a lurker than a useful contributor for the most part, but I remember back around 2003-2004, I couldn't even keep up with the volume of activity on this board. There seemed to be a dozen or more active threads each with 50+ replies. So many great posters and so much great info and so many hilarious inside jokes among the community.

I log in tonight and see that the last post (not counting the handful in the game thread) was over 6 hours ago.

This board had so many great posters and so many have gone MIA. Thankfully there's still a bunch of great contributors.

I ask, where has everybody gone?? I know the social networking landscape has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, but I don't understand why people would migrate away from this place. Maybe I just don't 'get' twitter, but it seems to be such a disorganized mess of drivel. Sure there's some reliable official sources of info on there but it's absolutely no substitute to the intelligent threaded debates found on here.

Please come back. I miss you guys :(

I'm not sure there are fewer threads. Maybe just fewer posts in the GDTs- I am guessing that many people stopped posting in or reading the game threads because they find the content obnoxious. Or if there are fewer threads, maybe it is because people are spending less time on the site overall due to lower quality game threads - could be that game threads used to drive people to the site but then they started driving people away from the site. I have no evidence to support this - just my gut.

I think traffic has been slowing gradually over time also. Lots of reasons I would guess

1- twits gonna twitter

2- phones and tablets are replacing laptops/consoles. They don't lend them selves to longer detailed posting. Shorter posts generate less conversation.

3- people move on

4-the economy is picking up...(haha)

5- new people are never enthused about joining old established groups where they don't know where the landmines are buried - which a fair number of have accumulated here.

6- some of the most prolific posters here also proved the most combative and there has been a gradual victory (of sorts) of comity over volume.

I'd go mostly with 3 and 5

Edited by Gehringer_2

I'm not sure there are fewer threads. Maybe just fewer posts in the GDTs- I am guessing that many people stopped posting in or reading the game threads because they find the content obnoxious. Or if there are fewer threads, maybe it is because people are spending less time on the site overall due to lower quality game threads - could be that game threads used to drive people to the site but then they started driving people away from the site. I have no evidence to support this - just my gut.

It appears to me (anecdotally speaking) that there are far less threads and the threads that do get started have far less posts.

My 'gut' feeling is that a lot of the great posters of the past have disappeared because they've gotten much busier with other aspects of their life (ie careers, raising families, etc) and they just don't have time to fit MTS into their life anymore. The difference between now and 8-10 years ago is that there doesn't seem to be as much of an influx of new people to replace the people who leave. The Tigers themselves are as popular as ever, it just seems that people are choosing other mediums to discuss them. I just don't understand the appeal of stuff like Twitter when compared to traditional web forums such as MTS.

Game threads to me have deteriorated with continual whining to the point I no longer participate during the game. It's that or bash the poster. I opt out. Otherwise I find the same healthy community and Zakk, you are missed.

For me, a big part of it has been that my phone lets me listen to the games wherever I am. It used to be that I was tied to my computer to listen to Dan and Jim, and since I was online anyways I was going to be in the game thread. Now I can go outside, drive in my car, or do whatever and have the audio going. That might not apply to people in Michigan or with MLB.tv who actually sit down to watch, but it's certainly the biggest change for me.

When I do come on here, though, there seem to be quite a few inside jokes that I don't necessarily get. It's almost like the board is a parody of its old self. Maybe I'm misreading that, but I just don't get on here often enough anymore to keep up with it.

For a long time the Tigers sucked, and when they showed promise of not sucking, or stopped sucking, people got very enthused. It was novel. Being good is not that novel anymore and the need to share our wonder at this miracle is no longer as pressing. The Tigers, even for me, are not as big a deal as they once were. If the Tigers win the World Series I'd expect a big drop off because that which was yearned for would be achieved making the whole enterprise of following the team more redundant still. Let's face it. We're rooting for multimillionaires to do things on our behalf that we can't do ourselves. It's sort of dissatisfying if you think about it too much. Still, I spent $99 on a Cabrera road jersey last week so I have nothing to get too high and mighty about.

Too many threads quickly devolve into the longtime posters poking back and forth at each other or simply posting snark and wiseass comments. It becomes a chore wading through 40 posts of bullcrap and spam to find those few rare gems posted by someone. Honestly I'd rather read the blogs since they have more on-topic content and witty humor than MTS these days. Didn't used to be that way. This place used to be the best destination for insightful content and in-depth discussion. It just isn't really anymore. The best prospect info is elsewhere. The best saber stuff is elsewhere and on Lee's blog. What does MTS do better than the blogs? Whine in GDT's? Personally I got tired of some of the long timers constantly ridiculing posts they don't agree with instead of actually trying to have a worthwhile discussion. Far too many vet posters it seems like haven't posted anything productive to a discussion in months.

Edited by TStar

The anti-snark snark drives me nuts. Sarcasm is one thing, but when it's sarcasm wrapped around sarcasm, it's hard to give a ****.

For a long time the Tigers sucked, and when they showed promise of not sucking, or stopped sucking, people got very enthused. It was novel. Being good is not that novel anymore and the need to share our wonder at this miracle is no longer as pressing. The Tigers, even for me, are not as big a deal as they once were. If the Tigers win the World Series I'd expect a big drop off because that which was yearned for would be achieved making the whole enterprise of following the team more redundant still. Let's face it. We're rooting for multimillionaires to do things on our behalf that we can't do ourselves. It's sort of dissatisfying if you think about it too much. Still, I spent $99 on a Cabrera road jersey last week so I have nothing to get too high and mighty about.

It's more than just the Tigers though, the general interest in Baseball is down as well. The non-Tiger ML fora and Farm team fora are dead as doornails. The folks that used to follow that stuff either don't any more or if they do they don't bother posting about it (other than A. Ray's Rays thread).

In fact at least one poster that had news from another team was met with totally uncalled for derision recently, so I guess I don't blame people.

Edited by Gehringer_2

You notice everyone that posted to this thread has over 1,000 posts under their belt, with me being the lowest. Seems the newbie's are either lurkers or already have moved on. But I always look and see there are a lot of "guests" here on the forum. People really like to see what is written, but are not active. I belong to other forums, and there are always members that rip on the op because that's what they do. Maybe their "feelings" get hurt and back down, idk, me, I don't care, I always assume its gonna happen on every post I start. This is the forum I always look at first when I want to check on the Tigers, best one in town I think. The mega posters here are very smart baseball fans, I enjoy reading what is said from them.

I'm on vacation. My awesomeness will be back in full force Tuesday.

It's been a perfect storm of technology. Facebook/Twitter/Blogs + Cell Phones instead of sitting at a computer for everything has really taken bites out of all forums around the net.

I have found myself more easily connected via tapatalk on my cell phone.

I have found myself more easily connected via tapatalk on my cell phone.

But I would think that would be better for reading, instead of posting. Before if anyone were taking the time to get on the computer onto a site you would spend more time there would be my assumption.

I think the point about technology is a good one. I frequently post from my pc, occasionally from my iPad, rarely from my phone.

And maybe the Tigers regular season doesn't mean as much to some fans as it used to. A playoff spot seems like a foregone conclusion.

But I would think that would be better for reading, instead of posting. Before if anyone were taking the time to get on the computer onto a site you would spend more time there would be my assumption.

I find it easier to read and post because I don't need to be at a computer. There are some parts of posting that are a bit more difficult, such as linking URLs or parsing a quoted post to reply. But aside from that, it is easy enough that even I can handle it.

tapatalk is an app that makes viewing message boards a lot easier on a phone or tablet. I use it on my phone and it's how I most often visit the site now. but I hate typing into it as it's basically texting. I can't be as profound as I usually am!

I think the success of the organization has played into it somewhat as there's less to figure out now. Much of the analysis seemed to be focused on players coming up and whether the guys we had were good enough. Now we've got a team with a couple of future HOFers, as solid of a starting staff as anybody alive has seen for this team, so there's not as much to talk about other than the games themselves.

There was a time when being able to talk to people all over the country about the Tigers on a message board was a novel thing. New technology and new sites have made it less of a big deal. People have other places to get their baseball fix now.

As others have pointed out, there is less to talk about now with the Tigers because they have a successful organization. Winning is expected and big acquisitions are expected, so there is less to get excited about. Fans are just waiting for a World Series win now. I can't follow the sport like that, but I can understand why some have gotten that way if they follow a lot of different sports closely.

I can also see that it might be difficult for a new poster to understand all the inside jokes on the board. I'm here as much as anyone and even I don't know what's going on half the time.

What can be done about all of this? Probably not much. Just let it evolve as it always has.

There was a time when being able to talk to people all over the country about the Tigers on a message board was a novel thing. New technology and new sites have made it less of a big deal. People have other places to get their baseball fix now.

As others have pointed out, there is less to talk about now with the Tigers because they have a successful organization. Winning is expected and big acquisitions are expected, so there is less to get excited about. Fans are just waiting for a World Series win now. I can't follow the sport like that, but I can understand why some have gotten that way if they follow a lot of different sports closely.

I can also see that it might be difficult for a new poster to understand all the inside jokes on the board. I'm here as much as anyone and even I don't know what's going on half the time.

What can be done about all of this? Probably not much. Just let it evolve as it always has.

There is one thing - which is for board members not to be jerks to new posters. That's a community decision - if people don't want the community to stay alive that is their choice. I would imagine most people who follow this board are interested in improving their baseball (or other sport) knowledge and appreciation, so by definition most will start at a point of expertise less than a lot of the current posters. If all they get is flamed for trying to joint the discussion, that leaves a really small pool of potential new posters - those already experts, or those with really thick skins like MTB and JBK.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Like everything, it is an evolution. Change will always come.