davidsb

05/21/2014: Detroit Tigers (Scherzer) at Cleveland Indians (McAllister) - 12:05p

I figured we'd lose the 1st game, but I never expected the Indians to light up both Verlander and Max. Wow.

I figured we'd lose the 1st game, but I never expected the Indians to light up both Verlander and Max. Wow.

Yeah same here, well i kinda expected Verlander but I never expected Max. Now were looking at Darvish and a 4 game losing streak.

I think Cabrera cost the Tigers this game. With him in the game I don't see how they cannot score one more run before the 13th inning. He had a hissy fit because the ump did not check 1st base for a half swinging strike call. If he gets paid $30 million a year I think he should at least lose the game's salary for getting kicked out.

I think Cabrera cost the Tigers this game. With him in the game I don't see how they cannot score one more run before the 13th inning. He had a hissy fit because the ump did not check 1st base for a half swinging strike call. If he gets paid $30 million a year I think he should at least lose the game's salary for getting kicked out.

But - if Cabrera is in there we probably don't score the inning where Kelly broke up the play at 2nd. Kelly's presence did not cost us game anywhere near as directly as:

1- Danny Worth playing SS like a little leaguer - this one is key and he can't be let off the hook just because it was early in the game. If Worth doesn't screw up twice, Max prolly goes 8 or even finishes considering how well he had settled down, and it's a whole different game.

2- Extended use of Phil Coke in a high leverage situation after the good adrenaline fueled 96 FB had faded and his command - such as it was - was degrading.

Awwww sticking up for your boy? That's cute, but it is extremely ironic the post you quoted to accuse me of being someone that was here before when that is also wrong.

Who's my boy? Are you seriously so dense that you don't get jokes? I mean I understand when Shelton says them because they aren't funny, but still.

Umpire Tim Timmons is the same guy who gave JV all kinds of hell in that Angels game in Anaheim a couple of years ago. Timmons is a major a-hole. Cabrera was reacting because Timmons called a swinging strike on Kinsler in the at-bat before and refused to appeal to first base.

Given Timmons Caesar complex I think Cabrera and everybody else should mind their Ps and Qs around him, but there's no doubt in my mind that guys like Timmons love to push people around.

Remember this game when the Tigers lose the division.

What about Monday's extra inning game?

Happy birthday to these former Tigers:

Jake Turner (23), Andy Miller (29), Bryce Florie (44), Bob Molinaro (64), Earl Averill (b1902), Doc Ayres (b1891)

Huh... Who knew Jacob Turner and Andrew Miller, the Tigers' erstwhile future aces, both have the same birthday?

Remember this game when the Tigers lose the division.

Can we also remember the walk offs and games we won late that we probably shouldn't have won? It works both ways in baseball.

Can we also remember the walk offs and games we won late that we probably shouldn't have won? It works both ways in baseball.

Nope

When the opposing manager makes terrible decisions regarding his bullpen and we benefit, sure.

If we lose a game because we leave a ton of guys on base and Nathan blows a save, that's one to just write off to bad luck.

When the opposing manager makes terrible decisions regarding his bullpen and we benefit, sure.

If we lose a game because we leave a ton of guys on base and Nathan blows a save, that's one to just write off to bad luck.

What about when players make bad decisions?

It's sports. You often fail because of a bad decision. That's what it is all about. Yes I am making a decision on execution vs decision making.

What about Monday's extra inning game?

You were supposed to have already remembered that one. Did I forget to mention that in that thread?

What about when players make bad decisions?

It's sports. You often fail because of a bad decision. That's what it is all about. Yes I am making a decision on execution vs decision making.

What kind of bad decisions do players make?

I don't think there are many decisions to be made in a baseball game by the players. Of course there are a few, but when it comes down to it, a pitcher is deciding to try to get an out and a hitter is deciding to try to get a hit.

Any decision, like which base to throw to or when to try to take an extra base, need to be made in such a split second that I think it's more a choice based on skill/instinct.

A manager's decision doesn't require that it be made in a split second.

This isn't a sport where you have much choice in how an event is going to pan out.

Basketball - you can choose whether to shoot or pass, and who to pass to.

Football, you decide who to throw to, or where to run, or whether you run or pass.

I draw a distinction between failed player execution and failed executive decisions.

I think fans underestimate the speed at which the game moves for those involved.... I think that's certainly something Ausmus will have to adjust to. I'm not saying his moves were correct I'm just going to cut the guy some slack. I have a hard time questioning a guy like Ausmus who has been involved in major league baseball for 20 years. He appears to be very intelligent yet still heavily involved in the day to day functioning of a team. He's not a crusty old guy set in his ways. I'm ok with the fact that there could be a method to his decisions beyond him thinking those are the best moves to make. He sees what we see but he's also got more info and responsibilty than we have.

You were supposed to have already remembered that one. Did I forget to mention that in that thread?

You may have, but I am slow.

You may have, but I am slow.

I honestly don't remember. They've lost so many games it's hard to keep up.