davidsb

05/21/2014: Detroit Tigers (Scherzer) at Cleveland Indians (McAllister) - 12:05p

I really don't know why folks are upset with Phil Coke.......How about how bad Scherzer was in the first couple of innings......or how bad Joe Nathan did. Or, after the Tigers had scored two to take the lead 9-7, they had two on with nobody out and failed to have Jackson sac. bunt them into scoring position.....the next batter hit a fly to right that would've scored the run from third.......or Cabrera listening to the ump and just getting back into the box.......not getting tossed.

Lots of blame to go around.

most of those early runs would have been unearned under any rational scoring system.

Don't worry, they'll probably go out and beat up on Texas tomorrow. I heard their starter isn't very good.

I would have. It just doesn't feel right the way that it happened.

Everyone would have. That's not my point.

My point is that these phrases are thrown around all the time after a loss.

The past is over. They started 6-0. Good for them.

No one is out there saying they would have taken 0-3 from that point forward because of it.

There is no reason to try to spin anything positive out of these last few games.

If anyone tells me they would have taken 6-3 when the road trip started, I will punch them in the nose.

Come and get me.

I really don't know why folks are upset with Phil Coke.......How about how bad Scherzer was in the first couple of innings......or how bad Joe Nathan did. Or, after the Tigers had scored two to take the lead 9-7, they had two on with nobody out and failed to have Jackson sac. bunt them into scoring position.....the next batter hit a fly to right that would've scored the run from third.......or Cabrera listening to the ump and just getting back into the box.......not getting tossed.

Lots of blame to go around.

However, Coke does it every f***** time he gets in the game. Every time!

I hate to do this but I'm just going to start tuning out the game when Coke comes in. It is just beyond belief that this guy is still around.

Eh.... game tomorrow. Cleveland is like a little brother that beat you at horse...

When I saw the name Coke as losing pitcher on the line score, my heart sank. So had we already burned through the pen by then or did the soul of Jim Leyland enter Ausmus' body?

No one is out there saying they would have taken 0-3 from that point forward because of it.

There is no reason to try to spin anything positive out of these last few games.

Ok, so what can we do about it? They are going to win some games they shouldn't. They are going to lose some games they shouldn't. There are going to be boons and busts.

I was content with a 6-3 before the trip started. I'm not as content with it as I thought I would have been because of the way the games played out. That's the way it goes though. Tomorrow is a new day, and the Tigers still have the best record in baseball and the largest division lead.

If anyone tells me they would have taken 6-3 when the road trip started, I will punch them in the nose.

I'm just happy to have my health.

Craig Monroe: "this was good for the Tigers"

Micky York: "shut yo mouth"

When I saw the name Coke as losing pitcher on the line score, my heart sank. So had we already burned through the pen by then or did the soul of Jim Leyland enter Ausmus' body?

Well, If Gene Lamont was managing...it was Gene Lamont's call.

The bullpen has one major weak link in Coke. The rest of the bullpen isn't great but it's good enough, and isn't something needing to be "fixed" at this point.

I imagine (purely conjecture) that they were hoping Coke could stick it out until Hanrahan is healthy and pitching again. I think the time has long since come to replace Coke with anyone.

I don't think anyone is trying to spin anything positive out of these last three games...but the last 9 games have been a net positive. It's unfortunate how it ended, no doubt...but as a road trip it was a net win. I'm personally more impressed with sweeping two potential playoff teams on the road than getting swept by a cellar-dwelling division rival caused in large part by a poor performance by a player I don't expect to be on the roster come October. This series against Cleveland sucked. Coke sucks. Scherzer, Verlander, and Smyly struggling for more or less the first time this season all back-to-back-to-back sucks. EDIT: Ausmus' decision making sucked. /EDIT...I highly doubt these performances will become the norm so I'm not going to get too pissed off about it.

And considering the season is 162 games I think it is pretty standard to break it up into sections (months, weeks, road trips, homestands, etc.)...I find no fault in people doing this. The problem of course is choosing the parameters of the sections since it can obviously manipulate the results, but that sounds like a debate for the political forum.

Edited by EchO

I don't think anyone is trying to spin anything positive out of these last three games...but the last 9 games have been a net positive. It's unfortunate how it ended, no doubt...but as a road trip it was a net win. I'm personally more impressed with sweeping two potential playoff teams on the road than getting swept by a cellar-dwelling division rival caused in large part by a poor performance by a player I don't expect to be on the roster come October. This series against Cleveland sucked. Coke sucks. Scherzer, Verlander, and Smyly struggling for more or less the first time this season all back-to-back-to-back sucks. I highly doubt these performances will become the norm so I'm not going to get too pissed off about it.

And considering the season is 162 games I think it is pretty standard to break it up into sections (months, weeks, road trips, homestands, etc.)...I find no fault in people doing this. The problem of course is choosing the parameters of the sections since it can obviously manipulate the results, but that sounds like a debate for the political forum.

Not false.

I didn't see the balk move. What did AlAl do? Any controversy there?

Edited by robgrave