Deleterious

Draft lottery

What are the chances the Pistons can move in the mid to late first round? That has to be the goal now.

Maybe if a team was willing to sell one for cash. The Pistons don't have much to offer anyone in a trade that could bring back a 1st.

@NBA_thoughts_ 23m

Cavs chances in 2011: 2.8% Cavs chances in 2013: 15.6% Cavs chances in 2014: 1.7% Chances to get #1 in ALL THREE of those years? .007426%

That's just insane. I don't care what anybody says those odds are just too astronomical for me not to think something fishy is going on.

Really, in a lottery with the Lakers,Celtics and Sixers in it, they rigged it for the Cavs, who are still ****** with 2 #1s on the roster?? Yeesh.

I'm just glad all the "future" trades are now complete. I have a hunch the Pistons are picking in the top 3 next year. I would hate like hell to lose that pick in the Gordon trade.

That would be a colossal failure by SVG. I might be down to fire him after year one(and I hate firing people just to do it like 99% of fans love doing) if that happens.

It might be acceptable if they missed the playoffs by something like one game and then lucked out in the lottery. But if they are picking top 3 because they are one of the 3 worst teams in the league, something would be wrong.

This was the consensus before the season but it does not sound like it is anymore. I am as high on KCP as I am on those guys you mentioned. Granted, I would love to have another player like that but we have a good chance of getting a player near that level next year. I would rather have kept the pick but I don't think it is going to make a huge difference whether we lose it this year or next year in the larger scheme of things.

Its probably more true now than ever. A lot of the guys in that range showed well at the combine and the right combination of guys went pro. The top 5 guys from last year all go somewhere from 6-15 this year IMHO.

We lost a lottery pick in a deep draft while rebuilding instead of losing a likely pick in the teens in a less deep draft. This is a huge loss. Not to mention its a huge hit in the new coach/GM's construction of our future roster. We needed to get someone in here, see how they looked, teach them our systems etc.

It might be acceptable if they missed the playoffs by something like one game and then lucked out in the lottery. But if they are picking top 3 because they are one of the 3 worst teams in the league, something would be wrong.

This

Yeah, but let's remember the upside: we got the money to sign Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings! Come on guys, that's worth the price of a lottery selection...

Not easy to turn the roster over in the NBA, we shall see. They got 2 years to build a team that Drummond wants to stay with, tonight hurts.

I disagree.... I think it is very possible. We have dysfunctional player in Smith who is a stat hound and poor at that! We have a shoot first point guard that seemed disinterested in learning how to be a NBA point guard. You will likely lose Monroe for nothing. Kyle Singlar in your top 5 rotation?!???!?! Really? You see a playoff team?

Yeah, but let's remember the upside: we got the money to sign Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings! Come on guys, that's worth the price of a lottery selection...

We paid the bills on the Jennings trade, we gave back equal salary, though losing the pick no doubt eliminated any decent trades that we could have made last summer.

Nice to have such an owner who understands the big picture. Nice to have an owner who gave his GM one last chance to have a rebuild only to essentially fire him 2 months into season. Gores threw some money and power at SVG, good for him, but he is still a colossal problem, as evidenced by his apparent desire for a figure head 1 percenter type owner. I am guessing that is so the media focuses on someone other than him when they write means things in the paper.

Gores on hair alone is a bad owner.

I disagree.... I think it is very possible. We have dysfunctional player in Smith who is a stat hound and poor at that! We have a shoot first point guard that seemed disinterested in learning how to be a NBA point guard. You will likely lose Monroe for nothing. Kyle Singlar in your top 5 rotation?!???!?! Really? You see a playoff team?

I need to see what other teams do this summer and obviously what the Pistons do. But I don't think its insane to say they should/could make the playoffs next year.

You most likely get improvement from Monroe and Drummond just because they are young still. On top of that, better coaching and a better scheme for them will improve them also. This alone might get you 10 more wins next year. Improvement from KCP, Singler, whichever player(s) they bring in via free agency, and if SVG and the staff can make Jennings/Smith just a little better, thats a plus.

I think it is possible. We will have a better idea towards the end of July.

I'm not saying we look great on paper right now, but there is enough to work with that I expect more from Van Gundy than being a bottom 5 team at the least. I would hope at the least that he could win 5 more games with the very same roster to be quite honest.

So what's the next trade we make Brandon Jennings + 2 1st's to Golden State for the Ghost of Eric Dampier and Jermaine O'Neal?

I'm not saying we look great on paper right now, but there is enough to work with that I expect more from Van Gundy than being a bottom 5 team at the least. I would hope at the least that he could win 5 more games with the very same roster to be quite honest.

I think if he gets them playing proper defense you can go +5 no problem.

Think about all those leads blown in the 4th quarter last year. If you play good defense a lot of those end up as wins.

If we had kept winning at the rate Cheeks was winning at we would have won 5 more games, so I'd hope so.

So what's the next trade we make Brandon Jennings + 2 1st's to Golden State for the Ghost of Eric Dampier and Jermaine O'Neal?

I know it's a joke, but if SVG throws first round picks away like Joe Dumars did, he should be shown the door immediately.

Not easy to turn the roster over in the NBA, we shall see. They got 2 years to build a team that Drummond wants to stay with, tonight hurts.

I would say the NBA is one of the easier sports to turn over a roster.

The pistons should be better now that theyre not run by incompetents (although it remains to be seen if gores is actually competent considering his role in putting the franchise in its current mess), but who do they pass in the east? Everyone else can get better through the draft and player development too. Who are we going to leapfrog?

Cleveland? They get the 1 pick again. The league has apparently mandated that cleveland be good.

Knicks? Yeah, we can pass them.

Charlotte? Atlanta? Chicago? Jersey? Who else are we better than?

I don't like losing the pick any more than the rest of you, but considering the fact that it seems to be the same teams in there every year I don't know that the lottery is having the desired effect. Bad teams are still bad teams. At least now we can be done with all of those trades, & of all the drafts to lose a pick in - I like the fact that this seems to be a very deep draft, so we may still be able to focus on a shooter with the pick we have.

It also gives SVG more of a clean slate to make trades without having to worry about the deals that Dumars had made.

I don't like losing the pick any more than the rest of you, but considering the fact that it seems to be the same teams in there every year I don't know that the lottery is having the desired effect. Bad teams are still bad teams. At least now we can be done with all of those trades, & of all the drafts to lose a pick in - I like the fact that this seems to be a very deep draft, so we may still be able to focus on a shooter with the pick we have.

It also gives SVG more of a clean slate to make trades without having to worry about the deals that Dumars had made.

I'm not saying that not having the pick is good either, but I agree that maybe not having the pick will force SVG and company to start getting creative sooner. With the pick (most likely a 3 with three point range) I could have seen a scenario where management thinks that they could just work with the pieces they have.

The pistons should be better now that theyre not run by incompetents (although it remains to be seen if gores is actually competent considering his role in putting the franchise in its current mess), but who do they pass in the east? Everyone else can get better through the draft and player development too. Who are we going to leapfrog?

Cleveland? They get the 1 pick again. The league has apparently mandated that cleveland be good.

Knicks? Yeah, we can pass them.

Charlotte? Atlanta? Chicago? Jersey? Who else are we better than?

I think it's hard to try and say who will you be better than. Just win 40 games and the rest will take care of it self. I expect a little overhaul prior to the season.

But those teams aren't in the lottery year after year because they were in the lottery last year. They are in the lottery year after year because they are poorly managed organizations.

So if you feel Detroit finally has the right management in place, losing the pick is even more painful.

I think it's hard to try and say who will you be better than. Just win 40 games and the rest will take care of it self. I expect a little overhaul prior to the season.

I hope so too. Not sure svg can make chicken salad out of this pile of chicken youknowwhat he's been given.

Re-signing Monroe and dealing Smith or Jennings (preferably both) for shooters who can also defend would go a long ways to help this team become respectable again. I'm sure SVG sees the team in a similar light, and will take appropriate action as it is applicable.