Motor City Sonics

Reaction Jackson

This is priceless. Video of Austin Jackson's on the bench reaction to Miggy is a combination of awe and fear. "Are you a human or a cyborg......Dude I am never effing with you, ever."

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/austin-jackson-has-priceless-reaction-in-dugout-following-miguel-cabrera-s-clutch-home-run-060346888.html

Stop for a second..............I literally had posted MIGGY MIGGY MIGGY MIGGY MIGGY right before he swung at that ball. I knew he'd jack on out (against that pitcher, who somehow has never been the Tiger closer).

Do you ever stop and realize you are witnessing the greatest hitter in maybe 60 years?

Don't take this for granted - ever. The guy is awe-inspiring. Just ask Austin.

Remember, there was a time when Dmitri Young or Tony Clark was our go-to guy.

60 years?

I'll go 100 years. He's our best hitter since Cobb.

I am still not ready to put him over Ted Williams and Babe Ruth. But that's the conversation he's in and he's only 31.

I am still not ready to put him over Ted Williams and Babe Ruth. But that's the conversation he's in and he's only 31.

I'm not even willing to put him ahead of Pujols yet.

I'm just thinking Tigers.... not overall.

In terms of Tigers I would say yes. I think he has already passed Kaline. It's really hard to compare him to Cobb since they played in such different eras. Greenberg would've been up there if not for the war.

Barry Bonds says hi.

I think we are supposed to exclude *Barry Bonds.

I thought we are sposed to add an asterisk?

Because you have the steroid contingent who want to nullify his numbers.

Oh.

Well, I find most of those guys to be sanctimonious individuals who pick and choose which players they wish to denigrate. I don't respect that.

Oh.

Well, I find most of those guys to be sanctimonious individuals who pick and choose which players they wish to denigrate. I don't respect that.

They certainly are the worst type of person.

I'm also going to say I can't put him ahead of Frank Thomas. Thomas was better through his age 31 season than Cabrera. A lot depends on what Cabrera does from now until the end of his career.

I would also say Griffey was a better hitter through his age 31 season. I know this greatest hitter tag is being thrown around a lot, but it's way too early.

I can't put Cabrera #1 in any time period that includes Bonds and Williams. He's behind Mantle too and I'm not ready to put him ahead of Pujols yet either. I'd say he's in the top 10. He's clearly the best Tigers hitter in the past 60 years. The all-time best Tigers hitter is still Cobb. Cabrera and Greenberg are pretty close at #2.

I can't put Cabrera #1 in any time period that includes Bonds and Williams. He's behind Mantle too and I'm not ready to put him ahead of Pujols yet either. I'd say he's in the top 10. He's clearly the best Tigers hitter in the past 60 years. The all-time best Tigers hitter is still Cobb. Cabrera and Greenberg are pretty close at #2.

This is almost exactly where I am at. Much depends on his next 4-5 years.

I am not sure if there is any way he retires as the best Tiger hitter of all time. I mean you can make arguments all over the place, but it will be hard to top Cobb. I mean he played 23 seasons...ALL for Detroit and had a career .366 average and almost 23 years worth of almost 1.000 ops all with the same team. That does matter IMO, but even if Cobb played for 2 teams like Cabby...it would still be hard to top that.

Interesting baseball reference has Cobb as the 35th ranked all time hitter BEHIND Pujols.

That's based on how fans vote. There are probably a lot of fans who disregard him because he was a racist who played in the dead-ball era. Looking just at stats, he's top 10 in OPS+, batting runs, runs created.