Deleterious

Sources: Pistons want Stan Van Gundy to coach, run basketball operations

Okay, I've not been following the search but is it true that Gores offered Izzo full control? That's just nuts.

That is the first time I heard that.

Stan Van Gundy questions integrity of advanced statistical data at MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference | ProBasketballTalk

“To me, I think that a lot of the analytic stuff can be very useful, but if you’re using that in place of sitting down and watching film yourself and seeing what’s going on, you’re making a big mistake,” Van Gundy said. “And I don’t want to offend anybody, but I think one of the problems with analytics — I think it’s good; I used it, I love looking at it — but one of the problems is, there are a lot of people in a lot of organizations who don’t know the game, who all they know is analytics and as a result, that’s what they rely on. And they will use that to supersede what guys like us see with our eyes. And I think that’s a major mistake. There’s no substitute for watching film over and over and over again, and the only numbers I trust are the ones that my people believe.”

More at the link

I'm not a big fan of a coach being head of basketball ops too. There's too much to do.

Orlando the year before SVG they ranked 28th in 3PA. 2nd the first year under SVG. The only two new players were Maurice Evans and Rashard Lewis.

They went from 11.7 3PA/g to 25.3 3PA/g. A 115% increase.

That is the first time I heard that.

I'm not a Gores fan but if he made that offer I can only hope he gets lucky with Van Gundy and he's in a position to sell sooner rather than later. Of course I fear any success and bright lights will be too much for him to part ways with.

While I don't expect everyone to just automatically love SVG, I think it should at least be a little refreshing that the guy everyone accused of being cheap in his coaching search last time went out and got a big name for big money.

Yes, I also echo Buddha's concerns about how Gores loves big names. I always thought SVG could coach though. This isn't football, I don't mind him getting full control. Its the only way a franchise like us gets a coach with any sort of track record or excitement around him.

Teams have like 9 assistant coaches now. I don't see it as a big reach to have total control. You van hire someone else to handle the paperwork and stuff. Its only 12 players.

ESPN reporting its a done deal.

Wow. This should be fun. SVG alone is more entertainment at a game than the Pistons have been this season.

Wow. This should be fun. SVG alone is more entertainment at a game than the Pistons have been this season.

Yep, he'll be fun and the raining 3's will be interesting - if they can splash enough of them.

Orlando the year before SVG they ranked 28th in 3PA. 2nd the first year under SVG. The only two new players were Maurice Evans and Rashard Lewis.

They went from 11.7 3PA/g to 25.3 3PA/g. A 115% increase.

He definitely had a positive impact in Orlando and I expect him to have one here. Those Magic teams built around Howard, from a personnel standpoint, were nothing special and they gave the LBJ-led Cavs (which also from a personnel standpoint, were nothing special) everything they wanted in the ECF.

I think we can count on SVG making better lineup and game plan decisions than we've seen in some time. Although, I'm not sure if there was anywhere to go but up post-Flip.

That we got this done before the draft is great, now let's hope we get to hang on to the pick.

Like the move. If he sticks with his offensive signature, I would indeed expect some roster shakeup. Jerebko could get more than garbage time if he comes back on the player option. The only thing I really care about is to get rid of Josh Smith....if he can get anyone back for him that has 1 yr left on their deal regardless of usefulness, it's a total win. Nash/Garnett/Asik/Lin/Amare/Bargnani....I'll take any one of them at Ron Jeremy's Evil Twin's One Year Bad Deal Depot.

On 5/13/2014 at 2:31 PM, Buddha said:

Is anyone bothered by gores' pursuit of "big names" when it comes to players and now management? He demanded a big name player and got josh smith. He spent silly time promoting his relationship with phil jackson. Now he's willing to tuen over the franchise to a guy who has never been a gm because he's a "big name".

I love svg as coach. Not sure about gm and president. And im leery about any decision gores makes.

hmmm...

SVG has a lot of money now and should get involved politically. But, I'm not seeing it in his current role here as a coach or GM. Its been 4 years.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:59 PM, Buddha said:

hmmm...

Now, now, to be fair he sucks as a coach too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

Now, now, to be fair he sucks as a coach too

I was on the fence on this for a while, but I'm now convinced he's terribly overrated and a much worse Coach than he is a GM. Not that he's great at either of them.

• Like 1

he was pretty successful as a coach until he got here. maybe his time out of the league closed his brain to new concepts?

otoh, i think he had this team overachieving when they made the playoffs two years ago.  last year reggie wasnt ready and the team imploded.  this year they were doing ok with reggie and after he got hurt again the team imploded.  again.

is it that stan cant coach?  or that the team has tuned him out?  im not sure.

if reggie had been healthy, we might think differently about him as a coach. i say that and then he goes and throws another post possession to andre or plays galloway and nelson for 20 minutes.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

he was pretty successful as a coach until he got here. maybe his time out of the league closed his brain to new concepts?

otoh, i think he had this team overachieving when they made the playoffs two years ago.  last year reggie wasnt ready and the team imploded.  this year they were doing ok with reggie and after he got hurt again the team imploded.  again.

is it that stan cant coach?  or that the team has tuned him out?  im not sure.

if reggie had been healthy, we might think differently about him as a coach. i say that and then he goes and throws another post possession to andre or plays galloway and nelson for 20 minutes.

I will agree that he was unlucky with Reggie, but on the other hand, if the difference for your team between mediocrity and complete terribleness is Reggie Jackson, you've done something horribly wrong

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I really don't care if he is an ok coach or not.  It clearly is not working out in any event.

He seems to worried about politics instead of actually coaching or winning. 

I doubt having political opinions, or even articulating them to the extent he has, impacted his ability to coach or be a general manager.

His struggles are surely wholly independent of that.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I doubt having political opinions, or even articulating them to the extent he has, impacted his ability to coach or be a general manager.

His struggles are surely wholly independent of that.

No one cares what a fat losing coach has to say.

I just have my doubts about the franchise in general with Gores in command.  Honestly, I can see them relocating to Seattle happening before being a serious contender with Gores in charge.

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I just have my doubts about the franchise in general with Gores in command.  Honestly, I can see them relocating to Seattle happening before being a serious contender with Gores in charge.

Why? I think he is willing to spend money.

I am not sold on his ability to hire the right leadership in the front office for the Pistons though or is that your point?