Deleterious

Sources: Pistons want Stan Van Gundy to coach, run basketball operations

How awesome would it be for svg to bench josh smith the first time he jacked a three with 17 seconds left on the shot clock? Or when he sat in the lane instead of following his man to the perimeter?

It would almost be worth it to keep his sorry a** just to watch him get benched all the time!

If Van Gundy is going to make personnel decisions, does it matter if he hires Otis Smith?

yeah, then otis smith does something he was really good at like negotiating contracts....

/sarcasm

Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 16m

Stan Van Gundy hasn't had a losing season in 8 years as NBA coach. Preaches defense. Has an impressive gut. All good credentials.

Is anyone bothered by gores' pursuit of "big names" when it comes to players and now management? He demanded a big name player and got josh smith. He spent silly time promoting his relationship with phil jackson. Now he's willing to tuen over the franchise to a guy who has never been a gm because he's a "big name".

I love svg as coach. Not sure about gm and president. And im leery about any decision gores makes.

Is anyone bothered by gores' pursuit of "big names" when it comes to players and now management?

Yes, I'm bothered.

And I suspect it is only to jack up the value of the franchise so he can flip it.

Another Pistons coaching search where my phone didn't ring. At least when Joe was around I could look forward to another one in 24 months.

Enlighten me as to why everyone is so hyped up on SVG? Because he failed with a Dwight Howard led team to do anything outside of the regular season for years? Why is he better than Hollins? Woodson? Jackson even?

Is he going to be better than Cheeks? Yes, I'm sure. Is he the next Pop? Why is he so highly regarded, yet jobless?

Otis smith once traded a first round pick for darko...

But he did sign Ruben Boumtje Boumtje

Enlighten me as to why everyone is so hyped up on SVG? Because he failed with a Dwight Howard led team to do anything outside of the regular season for years? Why is he better than Hollins? Woodson? Jackson even?

Is he going to be better than Cheeks? Yes, I'm sure. Is he the next Pop? Why is he so highly regarded, yet jobless?

He did more with a Dwight Howard led team than any other coach has.

Not sure I am hyped exactly. But he did show he coaches sound defense with two separate teams. He also went to the finals with one organization and game 7 of the conference finals with another.

There is no need for skepticism, Gores took out his man purse and got a good coach. Nothing was going to be perfect. I had very low expectations for the coach/GM search. I am ecstatic that we finally have a competent mind.

This team will be littered with shooters come October. Bye Stuck, Bye Will Bynum, bye every player under 6-9 that can't shoot.

..........This team will be littered with shooters come October. Bye Stuck, Bye Will Bynum, bye every player under 6-9 that can't shoot.

You are eliminating a huge percentage of the team. I hope he can accomplish that.

ekY7l1xklw0l.jpg

Tom Gores has reputation of being 'a very difficult guy to work for,' says Brian Windhorst - Detroit Bad Boys

"Whether it's right or not, and Tom Gores would probably take strong opposition on this, the word in the league is that he's a very difficult guy to work for. And that is a major factor when looking at these jobs. And I know that if I was a coach that could pick my job, I would try to find an ownership group that I was more comfortable with ... before I'd be willing to jump back in."

Windhorst also appeared to confirm the rumor that the Pistons offered full control to Michigan State's Tom Izzo. "Minnesota has gone big-name hunting and been told 'no,' so they've got to be realistic about it, too," he said. "But in Minnesota, you're going to be working with a much more stable ownership situation. If you're a coach and you're offered Detroit and Minnesota, then to me, I'm interested in Minnesota. Because I know there's more stable ownership and leadership there. And maybe you're like Tom Izzo and you get offered both? You say no to both. That's a possibility too."

More at the link

Two very interesting paragraphs.

There is no need for skepticism, Gores took out his man purse and got a good coach. Nothing was going to be perfect. I had very low expectations for the coach/GM search. I am ecstatic that we finally have a competent mind.

I'm good with the hire, if it happens, although I do think he may be a bit overrated. As you say though, I had low expectations as well, so this would be a nice upgrade. The real benefit I see is getting this settled pre-draft and free agency. We've got to address this roster immediately and we can't do that without someone running the show.

This team will be littered with shooters come October. Bye Stuck, Bye Will Bynum, bye every player under 6-9 that can't shoot.

Why do you say that? SVG did not build or have any control over the roster in Orlando or Miami. Who knows what type of team he'll build.

I think SVG will tailor his offense to the personnel on the team. In Miami the 2 full years he coached they were 6th and 17th in 3PA. First 3 years in Orlando they were 2, 2, and 1.

For those wondering. In Miami the 6th was without Shaq and 17th with Shaq.

Having said that. If hired, I do expect a ton of fan proposals sending Monroe to NO for Ryan Anderson in a sign and trade.