Deleterious

Sources: Pistons want Stan Van Gundy to coach, run basketball operations

Sources: Pistons want Stan Van Gundy to coach, run basketball operations

The Detroit Pistons are pursuing Stan Van Gundy with a lucrative offer to assume complete control of basketball operations and coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Pistons are trying to compete with the Golden State Warriors, who are aggressively pursuing Van Gundy for their coaching position.

Van Gundy has expressed a strong interest in the Warriors' opening, but it's immediately unclear how intrigued he is with the pursuit of Pistons owner Tom Gores.

The Pistons have a far less appealing roster, but the chance for Van Gundy to build his own organization is a challenge the Warriors can't offer him.

Van Gundy, 54, has a .641 winning percentage as a head coach in stops with Miami and Orlando. Van Gundy reached the NBA Finals with the Magic in 2009.

Is there any coach that would win with the Pistons current roster?

Is he any good? Only thing I know about him is that time he grabbed teh player's leg during a fight and that his brother looks like Ron Jeremy.

Is he any good? Only thing I know about him is that time he grabbed teh player's leg during a fight and that his brother looks like Ron Jeremy.

You have them mixed up. Ron Jeremy is Stan.

Is there any coach that would win with the Pistons current roster?

I guess you would have to define win.

1st or 2nd round of the playoffs? I think a lot of coaches could do that even with this poorly built roster. Compete for a title? Not so much.

Oh... now that you mention it. Funny thing is the Bad Boys stuff is sort of getting me into the NBA again after a hiatus going back to the mid 90's. My son likes it so I'm inching my way back.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/466283876625555456

Golden State officials met with Van Gundy in Florida on Monday and left convinced he was leaning toward Detroit deal, sources tell Yahoo.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/466284497424896000

Detroit's offer to Stan Van Gundy is coach and president of basketball operations. Warriors now fear their top two candidates out of reach

The Twitterworld makes it so hilarious how quickly things can happen, and then end up being something completely different.

The Twitterworld makes it so hilarious how quickly things can happen, and then end up being something completely different.

A lot depends on who you follow. Stein and Woj are some of the best writers around as far as sources go. Ken Berger being another one I really like.

How does it work with van Gundy and president, someone else as GM, and van Gundy as coach?

I feel like if the GM fires the coach, that the president is going to fire the GM.

How does it work with van Gundy and president, someone else as GM, and van Gundy as coach?

I feel like if the GM fires the coach, that the president is going to fire the GM.

The president of the Pistons currently is Dennis Mannion. SVG or whomever he brings in will be president of basketball operations like Joe was.

My guess is he would bring in someone like Smith to run day to day stuff. But retain final roster approval for himself.

Coach? Yes please!

Coach and gm? No thanks. Recipe for disaster. Otis smith? No thanks.

I suspect this is the only way the Pistons can get anyone with any kind of pedigree to consider working for them.

I wonder today with the proliferation of assistant coaches (back when I watched they had 2), if the head coaching position is not as demanding day to day, but more of a strategic thing and a take charge once the game starts. You've got an abundance of assistants now to run practice and different areas.

I suspect this is the only way the Pistons can get anyone with any kind of pedigree to consider working for them.

This is probably true to some degree. It'll also be funny considering how his brother has ripped us for firing coaches.

I think it would be a solid hire though. Get a smart basketball guy with a winning pedigree, I can't complain about that. Whether he can handle being in charge of basketball operations, well, only time will tell. Otis, if he comes too, has had some good moments and bad. He just went all Dave Dombrowski 2007 after they made the Finals.

No otis smith no otis smith no otis smith no otis smith no otis smith....