RedRamage

2014 first round pick: TE Eric Ebron

I'm a bit worried about the lack of LBs and DBs left on the board. I don't think there is anything left that is good enough to to take in round 2 ? Seems to be WR's, DT's and offensive linemen that are left. Gilbert and Barr going 8 and 9 might have screwed us up a fair bit.

Taking a TE at 10 is dumb...straight up. Even if we NEEDED a TE it was dumb. TE was NOT a problem last year.

Taking a TE at 10 is dumb...straight up. Even if we NEEDED a TE it was dumb. TE was NOT a problem last year.

They needed a pass catcher.

I bet he plays more snaps from the slot than he does as a TE.

You need to understand that the TE position isn't your granddads TE position. It's a stretch position for a lot of TE's. Ebron will line a lot on the outside. I think it was a really good choice at #10.

Why are people comparing Pettigrew with Ebron, just because they both play TE? Well I guess Stafford will be awful because we just signed Orlovsky.

Pettigrew sucks at everything but blocking, what in Jupiter's heaven does that have to do with Ebron?

Tight ends who stretch the field and have a tendency to drop easy passes (And yes, Pettigrew did stretch the field in college). I can see why some people would have reservations about Ebron because of that.

With that being said, Ebron is more versatile and much more athletic so he has that going for him. He'll be like another receiver so that should create matchup problems for the opposition.

After sleeping on it, I'm actually ok with the pick. He was very highly valued by many in the know and the Lions needed a pass catcher. I think i'm more frustrated with the re-signing of Pettigrew than the drafting of Ebron, money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Tight ends who stretch the field and have a tendency to drop easy passes (And yes, Pettigrew did stretch the field in college). I can see why some people would have reservations about Ebron because of that.

With that being said, Ebron is more versatile and much more athletic so he has that going for him. He'll be like another receiver so that should create matchup problems for the opposition.

After sleeping on it, I'm actually ok with the pick. He was very highly valued by many in the know and the Lions needed a pass catcher. I think i'm more frustrated with the re-signing of Pettigrew than the drafting of Ebron, money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Pettigrew wasn't guaranteed that much and you would have no way of knowing at the time he signed they would have drafted Ebron.

You need to understand that the TE position isn't your granddads TE position. It's a stretch position for a lot of TE's. Ebron will line a lot on the outside. I think it was a really good choice at #10.

I am not 50....yet!

Someone up the thread says he zones out sometimes and misses the easy ones...you cannot 'teach' that IMO. Or correct it. It is what it is. In order to thrive in the NFL..USUALLY you have to be GREAT in college. I do not want any pick that is supposed to catch the ball primarily have the term 'he drops some balls' attached to him. At all. And especially at 10.

I do not like picking a TE at 10 in any case....and yes that means I would have missed out on some of the greats at the position. I do not care. I do not think a TE is a deserving position to take that high period.

I actually like the pick, maybe not at 10. I had Lewan slated higher but Ebron can be a beast in this offense.

He picked #85? Isn't that number retired?

It is. It was Chuck Hughes' number, the only player to die on the field during an NFL game.

In 2005, the Hughes family gave permission for WR Kevin Johnson to wear it. I don't know if he could have possibly gotten that permission from the family so quickly, or even if their opinion will be asked this time.

Pettigrew wasn't guaranteed that much and you would have no way of knowing at the time he signed they would have drafted Ebron.

I would have preferred another option even without the drafting of Ebron. Now, they have Pettigrew signed to a healthy salary to be a glorified blocker. They could have signed a cheap, blocking tight end on the free agent market.

Oh well. No use crying over spilled milk now, it is what it is.

I would have preferred another option even without the drafting of Ebron. Now, they have Pettigrew signed to a healthy salary to be a glorified blocker. They could have signed a cheap, blocking tight end on the free agent market.

Oh well. No use crying over spilled milk now, it is what it is.

Pettigrew isn't signed to a healthy salary. It's only 8 million guaranteed. Regardless of the Ebron drafting, I doubt Pettigrew was going to be around for the full four years.

Pettigrew isn't signed to a healthy salary. It's only 8 million guaranteed. Regardless of the Ebron drafting, I doubt Pettigrew was going to be around for the full four years.

I didn't want him around even one more year. I think he harms the team more than helps it and i used to be a big Pettigrew fan but his confidence is shot and he's a shell of his former self.

I wonder how he's going to handle being the 4th option at best.

Pettigrew is the 21st biggest cap hit this coming year, 16th in 2015, 9th in 2016...and with his dead money the first year we can cut him with any sort of cap relief is 2016 when he will save $2.6M after his $2M in dead money. Why sign him for above average TE money when I don't think he deserved it to begin with and if Ebron was this high on their board? I simply didn't like the pick when it was made and hate it now. If we needed a blocking-first TE why not get Dante Rosario for the league minimum? Just a poorly run organization, top-to-bottom and our record over the last 12 years proves that.

I'm a bit worried about the lack of LBs and DBs left on the board. I don't think there is anything left that is good enough to to take in round 2 ? Seems to be WR's, DT's and offensive linemen that are left. Gilbert and Barr going 8 and 9 might have screwed us up a fair bit.

Pass rusher is where the 2nd round value is IMO. Well, that and WR lol.

People are way too caught up in position. If you don't like the player, so be it, but I don't think you help yourself too much by getting cute over position. Not that position was zero factor though, as it was our only spot in the starting lineup without any sort of legitimate starter.

The goal in the round is to find guys who can be quality starters over a 6-10 year period. That's how we'll look back and judge Ebron, not over whether he was a TE. JMO

Pettigrew is the 21st biggest cap hit this coming year, 16th in 2015, 9th in 2016...and with his dead money the first year we can cut him with any sort of cap relief is 2016 when he will save $2.6M after his $2M in dead money. Why sign him for above average TE money when I don't think he deserved it to begin with and if Ebron was this high on their board? I simply didn't like the pick when it was made and hate it now. If we needed a blocking-first TE why not get Dante Rosario for the league minimum? Just a poorly run organization, top-to-bottom and our record over the last 12 years proves that.

I have a feeling you were going to hate the pick regardless of who it was. Just like the coaching search.

If the Lions didn't re-sign Pettigrew they would have been linked to Ebron all the way. Another team would've been more likely to jump over them for him.

If the Lions didn't re-sign Pettigrew they would have been linked to Ebron all the way. Another team would've been more likely to jump over them for him.

Yeah - heaven forbid that would have happened and they be forced to address the defense.

Yeah - heaven forbid that would have happened and they be forced to address the defense.

So you'd rather reach for D than take an appropriate value on offense? Did the Lions not rank 1st in third down defense, Top 5 in run defense and 15th in scoring defense? The defense was so bad they should have reached to fill a need? Do the Lions not still have 7 picks left? What if both picks today are defense? Mercy.

Didn't GB win the superbowl with the worst defense in the league?

So you'd rather reach for D than take an appropriate value on offense? Did the Lions not rank 1st in third down defense, Top 5 in run defense and 15th in scoring defense? The defense was so bad they should have reached to fill a need? Do the Lions not still have 7 picks left? What if both picks today are defense? Mercy.

thing is - I don't believe in the basic strategy. I''m wondering now if maybe Mayhew wasn't even in on the ground floor in the origination of Millen's receivers overload strategy. I'd much rather see them plug holes than try to create overloads. I've just always been a believer that in football your weaknesses hurt you more than your strengths help you., the the former always have to be your priority. I'd even have rathered they took an O lineman that could run block.