Motor City Sonics

2014 Draft Nights Thread (As it happens)..............

Cody Latimer is still available, I like him a lot. Other players in play today include centers Richburg and Marcus Martin; OLB's Trent Murphy, Van Noy, Attachou and Demarcus Lawrence; DE's Kony Ealy and Stephon Truitt; and CB's/S's Lamarcus Joyner, Keith McGill, Pierre Desir and Bashaud Breeland. WR's besides Latimer include Lee, Matthews, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant and Donte Moncrief.

I think two of the players I listed will be Lions by the end of the day.

Plenty left, I just find it interesting especially after this last offseason when I highlighted how the best teams are CONSISTENTLY going secondary in the first few rounds. It is a proven strategy used by most of the best teams, and it continued this year. Out of the last 10 picks, 5 were in the secondary and two were DE which is also a prime defensive position. And I bet the Seahawks would have gone secondary if they didn't trade down (I don't remember them or any of the other top teams rushing to the podium). The Lion's way is all fine and good, but there is a mold on what the best teams do...it is in stark contrast to what the Lion's do. I think those teams will again be more successful than the Lions.

The Seahawks got lucky with late round picks. The only player they took in the first round was Earl Thomas.

The Seahawks got lucky with late round picks. The only player they took in the first round was Earl Thomas.

the more picks you have, the better the chance you can "get lucky."

I like Dri Archer, and Jordan Mathews but probably not in the 2nd round. I really hope the Alabama Tackle is available when we pick

I don't think it is "lucky" when you are selecting, on average, two defensive backs per draft. The Seahawks' front office decided that they were going to build their secondary a very specific way through advanced scouting and finding guys who will fit their scheme and design perfectly in the late rounds. What is the Lion's plan? The had one secondary heavy draft in 2012 and all those picks, in my opinion, have busted thus far.

We spent the largest sum of our cap space on receivers and used our #1 draft resource on another receiver. What other winning team is using the Lions blue-print of having a first round pick at QB, first round pick at #1 WR, second round pick (who is being paid closer to a first) #2 WR, a second round pick for #3 WR, a first round RB (#17 highest paid RB), another RB (#23 highest paid RB), a first round TE, a second first round TE this isn't to mention the busts (2nd round WR, 3rd round WR, 1st round RB, 2nd round RB). Not how winning teams are doing it, no history of success of teams building like the Lions and winning. The teams winning are those making secondary and defense a priority or they have a clear-cut future hall of fame QB and even then they typically need a solid defense (see Denver's offseason)...

We have clearly been on the same page the last 24-48 hours lol.

Sure, but that's not what Echo said, at all.

I like Dri Archer, and Jordan Mathews but probably not in the 2nd round. I really hope the Alabama Tackle is available when we pick

Oh god no on Kouandjio

I don't think it is "lucky" when you are selecting, on average, two defensive backs per draft. The Seahawks' front office decided that they were going to build their secondary a very specific way through advanced scouting and finding guys who will fit their scheme and design perfectly in the late rounds. What is the Lion's plan? The had one secondary heavy draft in 2012 and all those picks, in my opinion, have busted thus far.

We spent the largest sum of our cap space on receivers and used our #1 draft resource on another receiver. What other winning team is using the Lions blue-print of having a first round pick at QB, first round pick at #1 WR, second round pick (who is being paid closer to a first) #2 WR, a second round pick for #3 WR, a first round RB (#17 highest paid RB), another RB (#23 highest paid RB), a first round TE, a second first round TE this isn't to mention the busts (2nd round WR, 3rd round WR, 1st round RB, 2nd round RB). Not how winning teams are doing it, no history of success of teams building like the Lions and winning. The teams winning are those making secondary and defense a priority or they have a clear-cut future hall of fame QB and even then they typically need a solid defense (see Denver's offseason)...

You left out the three first round picks on the defensive line.

No other team is using this blueprint, almost no other team values a tight end with a first round pick either, much less two of them. Martin Mayhew is either really dumb, incredibly arrogant or a combination of both for not realizing it. I'd say it's a combo package.

Look, in years passssssss, I would have said defense all the way. This year though, for the draft, I gave up on the idea Lions being a balanced squad. I gave up the notion of them really getting a difference maker in the secondary or pass rushing linebacker. I instead admitted who they are and what they want to be, which is the "Greatest Show on Turf 2.0". Now, Ebron was not the guy I wanted by any means, especially at the tenth spot, but it is essentially the line of thinking I had if you were going to recreate a "Greatest Show on Turf" at Ford Field.

.... I instead admitted who they are and what they want to be, which is the "Greatest Show on Turf 2.0". ....

Spot on Tater. It's like WCF Sr lives on. That was always his philosophy and apparently he has left behind a legacy of people that still want the same thing. Really, since the management personal is unchanged, why should the approach have changed?

No other team is using this blueprint, almost no other team values a tight end with a first round pick either, much less two of them. Martin Mayhew is either really dumb, incredibly arrogant or a combination of both for not realizing it. I'd say it's a combo package.

Look, in years passssssss, I would have said defense all the way. This year though, for the draft, I gave up on the idea Lions being a balanced squad. I gave up the notion of them really getting a difference maker in the secondary or pass rushing linebacker. I instead admitted who they are and what they want to be, which is the "Greatest Show on Turf 2.0". Now, Ebron was not the guy I wanted by any means, especially at the tenth spot, but it is essentially the line of thinking I had if you were going to recreate a "Greatest Show on Turf" at Ford Field.

Again, top 2 picks were D last year, 3 of the top 4. 3 of our last 4 first rounders were D. We also gave solid contracts to 2 safeties, 2 LBs and a CB over the last few offseasons. Lets not pretend we ignore D. Oh, we also have 7 freakin' picks left. The draft did not end!

People keep ripping us for wanting to be a special offense, but has that really failed for a lot of teams lately? NE has had great success with it, though no SBs of late. NO won a SB like this, GB won one, Indy won one and went to 2. Denver was in the SB last year, the Rams won a SB and made another with the original greatest show on turn.

Am I missing what is so awful about this model? Sure, it might be more ideal to have a stud defense. I'm not anti defense. However, I think there is great value in having an elite offense. I've barely ever seen an elite unit on either side of the ball in Detriot in my lifetime really. Why fight it so hard? Sit back and enjoy.

Have those teams picked two tight ends in the first round? I seem to remember Gronk being a 2nd, Hernandez a 4th, Graham a 3rd. Have those teams had near the amount of offensive busts that we have had either? Pettigrew, Williams, Best, Young, LeShoure, Broyles...

Was the defense really that bad last year? I thought the defense was better than the offense last year.

Let's ask Mike Glennon how easy it was to throw on us.

I think people are getting too caught up in the TE tag of Ebron. He's a glorified WR, if he was listed as a WR instead of TE would people still have this big of problem with the pick? Most big boards had him in the top 15, and many even higher so it's not like it was a major reach. Ideally I would've preferred for them to trade down but it takes another team to do that and evidently nobody was interested. So staying at 10 they would've been reaching for a Safety, or CB, and if they went with Donald that would've been another high priced d-lineman that would have to play behind Suh and Fairley so people probably would've bitched about that. Ebron gives them another receiver that they are looking for and another lethal matchup problem for opposing defenses. I don't see why that is such a bad thing.

For where he was drafted, yes.

Wasn't Pettigrew in fact the last tight end drafted that high by anyone?

I think people are getting too caught up in the TE tag of Ebron. He's a glorified WR, if he was listed as a WR instead of TE would people still have this big of problem with the pick? Most big boards had him in the top 15, and many even higher so it's not like it was a major reach. Ideally I would've preferred for them to trade down but it takes another team to do that and evidently nobody was interested. So staying at 10 they would've been reaching for a Safety, or CB, and if they went with Donald that would've been another high priced d-lineman that would have to play behind Suh and Fairley so people probably would've bitched about that. Ebron gives them another receiver that they are looking for and another lethal matchup problem for opposing defenses. I don't see why that is such a bad thing.

He's a ways from being a 'glorified' receiver with a 4.6 40 doncha think?

Wasn't Pettigrew in fact the last tight end drafted that high by anyone?

The Bengals have taken two tight ends with 21st pick since Pettigrew and they have made multiple playoffs.