Motor City Sonics

The 2014-15 Offseason

Had some time to cool down, still not a fan of the deal. Too much money, wish he would have taken a one year deal. Two more years of Quincey and Lashoff, three more of Kindl unless one of them moves (would prefer Kindl then Lash then Q take a hike). I was ready to just ride with one of the young guys after whiffing on every free agent and the Quincey move shocked me. Still would have rather waited instead of making what seems like a panic overpay, but it is what it is. I think the more disturbing part is how tough it seems to get free agents to come to Detroit, but with the cap and parity I guess it makes sense.

Had some time to cool down, still not a fan of the deal. Too much money, wish he would have taken a one year deal. Two more years of Quincey and Lashoff, three more of Kindl unless one of them moves (would prefer Kindl then Lash then Q take a hike). I was ready to just ride with one of the young guys after whiffing on every free agent and the Quincey move shocked me. Still would have rather waited instead of making what seems like a panic overpay, but it is what it is. I think the more disturbing part is how tough it seems to get free agents to come to Detroit, but with the cap and parity I guess it makes sense.

While there is certainly some truth to this line of thought, I think it's severely overblown. Last summer, two of the top forward free agents signed in Detroit. I understand Weiss was a bust, but he was still highly sought after going into free agency.

Pavel, Henrik and Kronwall are not the problems. Either way I would rather have those 3 guys than a bunch of 'young prospects', but that is just me.

To me, they offer more value in what they can bring back to us in younger assets and draft picks. If I could pick up top prospects like a Tomas Hertl (C-San Jose), Teuvo Teravainen (C- Chicago) or a Derrick Pouliot (D- Pittsburgh) from a team re-tooling and trying to win and/or get back to the Cup, I'd make that trade. I don't see it as far-fetched that Doug Wilson, Stan Bowman, etc. are willing to make the trade too as GM's. Agree to eat some of their contracts while re-building the roster and call it a day.

What's a joke about it? So we keep finishing 8th and feel good about them retiring as Wings, BIG DEAL! If I could get top prospects at center and defense and stock-up on draft picks I'd take that over 8th and out every chance I get.

If you think we're winning another Cup, let alone making a Conference Final, with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall at the core than you are being jaded by organizational propaganda. This team WILL NOT MAKE another Cup Final with the core that they have now. And I'll eat the biggest play of crow you got if they do.

We're not as good as Montreal or NYR? I predict we will finish ahead of 1 if not both of them next year. In the West we'd get creamed. In the East only Boston is head and shoulders above us.

The NHL Files ‏@TheNHLFiles 12m

Oilers/Red Wings talking about Jeff Petry.

No clue what that account is, but Petry is on the block supposedly with the Oilers looking for a second line center. Petry doesn't look too bad: Jeff Petry Advanced Stats | Extra Skater

He went to Michigan State too. Not sure what the Wings could do to get it done.

Petry for Weiss straight up!

A boy can dream, right?

*He's also Dan's son.

That was my first thought, but he has a modified NTC so I wonder if he could block that.

FWIW I haven't even dug up another source linking Detroit to Petry's being available so I think that tweet was hogwash. Wouldn't mind if it were true though.

I want nothing to do with Petry for purely foolish reasons.

We have a guy that very occasionally comes to my pick up skate that barely knows him, yet this guy drops Petry's name so much I'm amazed it isn't broken yet, and it will only get worse if Jeff is a Wing.

That written, I'd be surprised if Jeff would block a trade to Detroit if for no other reason he spends a good part of the summer here.

If this was a response to my post, I was talking about Weiss' contract, my bad. Petry is a RFA without a contract right now.

Quincey was necessary after failing to upgrade, and with the Wings cap situation and the FA situation for this year and next year the way it is, I doubt the contract hurts them. And there should still be plenty of opportunity for the 3 Griffins defensemen to compete for the 5 and 6 spots with Smith/Lashoff/Kindl.

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 7m

The average 2014-15 cap hit of defensemen with ATOI >= 20 and ATOI <= 24 is $4.09M.

So Quincey is making about 400 K over the average for his ice time group.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1 m

Wings have re-signed Daniel Cleary to a one-year deal.

The decision everyone in the country has been waiting for.

Are you kidding me Holland??? I swear I said the exact same thing last year.

The decision everyone in the country has been waiting for.

Are you kidding me Holland??? I swear I said the exact same thing last year.

If Cleary's trajectory continues we should expect about 4 pts and -18 +/- for the upcoming season? Wouldn't a pylon with #71 painted on it do as well?

Kenny had his paleontologists working overtime on this one. Every off-season he brings this bum back and every off-season fans gremice. WHY? Why bother anymore. We should all understand Kenny's fetish with veteran players by now and either accept it or start calling for his (Holland's) job.

I understand (more or less) why they resigned Quincey after striking out in free agency. There is literally no good reason why they made this move.

Does Jurco have any assignments left because it looks like it's his roster spot that's going to Cleary, I would summize.

Be doesn't have to go through waivers, sad that he's going back while Cleary has a roster spot.

Is Maltby still in the organization? I know Draper is, but if I were them I'd be a little mad right now. When they were at the end of their careers and wanted to continue Holland would only offer them player tryout contracts where they had to earn their spot for the year. Now, Danny F'in Cleary gets a guaranteed one way deal where he has to "earn" his spot... ya right.

Is Maltby still in the organization? I know Draper is, but if I were them I'd be a little mad right now. When they were at the end of their careers and wanted to continue Holland would only offer them player tryout contracts where they had to earn their spot for the year. Now, Danny F'in Cleary gets a guaranteed one way deal where he has to "earn" his spot... ya right.

Even Brendan Morrow at $1.5mm is better than Cleary. Not that I'd sign Morrow either!

I'm starting to dislike Cleary over this. Is hie really that good in the lockerroom - who says? Who other than Kenny and his mouthpiece Helene St. James give any weight to the alleged offer from Philly last year? And if it was a bona fide offer and Cleary turned it down, tough luck. Last summer was Cleary pitching the Wings to stay with them or Babcock pitching Cleary? Since when do "verbal promises to take care him of next summer" mean anything? Players are bought out of written signed contracts all the time. Coaches are fired ahead of their contact length all the time. Steve Yzerman isn't afriaid to cut Martin St. Louiis from the Olympic team. Is it really only a 1-way deal and if so why the hell? Does it really include a no-trade clause and if so why the hell? He was a healthy scratch since January, why in the world would you resign him? This whole thing is a farce.

It has to be a one way deal since there are bonuses. There were conflicting reports on the Philly deal too, some of the Philly reporters were saying it was only a player tryout situation, so who knows? I can't wrap this up any better than your last sentence LS.

edit: wow this made it on deadspin, hilarious Loyalty In Sports Is Stupid

Edited by drownwithyou

Dany Heatley signs 1 year deal with Anaheim for $1mm. 33 years old, 12 goals last year, a career way more impressive than Cleary's. So Cleary is worth $2.5mm. Holland has been duped or guilted by the Newfie, how embarassing.

Tatar re-signed on a 3 year deal, no financials available. I don't expect the cap hit to be too high, love it just on the 3 years alone.

Also:

Winging It In Motown @wingingitmotown · 9m

Tatar isn't eligible for UFA until summer of 2018 (he turns 27 on December 1, 2017).

edit:

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 6m

#RedWings sign F Tomas Tatar to three years, $2.75M average

Money looks right: NHL Salary and Cap Hit Comparisons

Steve Ott makes more on a shorter contract!

Edited by drownwithyou