Motor City Sonics

The 2014-15 Offseason

Are you KIDDING ME? Wings re-sign Kyle ****ing Quincey for 4.25 mil PER YEAR when Christian Ehrhoff just signed a one-year deal worth 4 million? That's un-****ing-real. This team is in the ****ing dumps.

I am glad that so far the Wings don't seem to be panicking just to get bodies here. Not upset about Ehrhoff really. I think the guy is vastly overrated and is no better than Ericsson.

Yeah, you're right. The Wings have always been a terrible team because the city sucks.

Really has nothing to do with it, imo. The Wings are pretty much loaded, and are looking for players to take less to make their cap look pretty in the future. I think players like Niskanen are going to go where they are more familiar with. The Wings don't really have any FA with really strong ties to them, imo.

Yeah, you're right. The Wings have always been a terrible team because the city sucks.

Really has nothing to do with it, imo. The Wings are pretty much loaded, and are looking for players to take less to make their cap look pretty in the future. I think players like Niskanen are going to go where they are more familiar with. The Wings don't really have any FA with really strong ties to them, imo.

This whole post is sarcasm, right? Not just the first two sentences?

OF COURSE I wanted an upgrade in Ehroff or Niskanen. But having struck out on them, I don't know how you could NOT have signed Quincey.

Are you KIDDING ME? Wings re-sign Kyle ****ing Quincey for 4.25 mil PER YEAR when Christian Ehrhoff just signed a one-year deal worth 4 million? That's un-****ing-real. This team is in the ****ing dumps.

I'm crushed they didn't get Ehroff or NIskanen but it's not like they didn't want either. Quincey was a fallback, not a preference. I haven't heard that either Ehroff or Niskanen turned down the Wings due to money - quite the opposite actually.

OF COURSE I wanted an upgrade in Ehroff or Niskanen. But having struck out on them, I don't know how you could NOT have signed Quincey.

Easily - You could get better production out of Sproul, Ouellet or Marchenko and let Quincey go get over-paid by someone else and pick up an extra two wins when you face whatever team he is on.

On the bright side - if the Wings keep striking out on FA's, maybe they'll give Mantha a shot.

It's hard for me to believe that the Wings needed to give him the amount they did. He can be used on the PK, but his possession stats are garbage (especially his GF%rel, worst out of all the d-men from last season) so I would have rather watched XO struggle this season than bring him back for two years.

The Wings system is pretty loaded with talent. They are not in bad shape right now.

Easily - You could get better production out of Sproul, Ouellet or Marchenko and let Quincey go get over-paid by someone else and pick up an extra two wins when you face whatever team he is on.

On the bright side - if the Wings keep striking out on FA's, maybe they'll give Mantha a shot.

Yes, it's an ovepayment of around $1mm per year.

Of course Erhoff and Boyle who accepted salaries in the same range would have been better value.

But it's a 2 year deal. I don't expect any of Sproul, Ouellet or Marchenko to be better than Quincey next year and probably not the year after that either. Let Sproul, Ouellet or Marchenko take roster spots away from Kindl and Lashoff.

I always thought signing Quiincey was a possibility. A week ago we were hoping for Niskanen or Boyle. We knew there'd by stiff competition for Niskanen with the Wings having maybe a 10% shot at hiim. I'm not high on Boyle in his current state at all. Ehroff seemed like a gift dropped from the skies but it was over and done within 3 days.

Edited by lordstanley

Yes, the city is a problem now that the team isn't dominant anymore. And that Original Six thing is becoming less important with players that were born when the Ottawa Senators and Anaheim Ducks were already in the league. Players would tolerate a crappy city when Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov and Scotty Bowman were around. Not the case anymore. And sorry, it's my home, but Detroit is still way behind other cities in things going on actually in the city and not the suburbs. Sure, a lot is happening, but a lot of catching up still has to happen. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings, but the city doesn't help and the old building doesn't help and they haven't even shown the sketches for the new building much less started building it.

I don't think there is a reason to be too upset today. There were really only one or two guys they really really wanted and neither one of them were amazing players. They are stocked with defensive prospects, most are not ready yet, but they are coming.

I think they will sign Derek Morris if they want that right-handed shot so badly on the blueline. Won't cost them too much money or time.

Holy overreaction, Batman.

Does anyone really think it's a coincidence that Niskanen and Orpik, teammates (and sometimes defensive partners) in PIT both signed with Washington? I don't. More and more, these guys are orchestrating moves so they can play together (see Suter/Parise). I wanted Niskanen as much as anyone, maybe more, but not at the price of signing Orpik too (which the Wings couldn't have done).

Boyle told team beforehand that if the Rangers called, he was signing with them. No matter what.

The Wings offered Ehrhoff more money for more years than what he signed for in PIT. WTF is Holland supposed to do with that?

The only options left were Quincey or overpaying in prospects to trade for someone. KQ is better (by a lot) than both Kindl and Lashoff, so if we need the kids to play, which I'd prefer they don't for one more season, let them replace those two jokers. I'd trade Kindl for a skate sharpener and drive him to the airport.

The 2 posts above this by mcs amd lesgo are really good. Wings fans on KK, LGW and HFBoards are totally freaking out. They are so invested in July 1 being their Christmas Day they lose a sense of perspective. This was not a good day. But the team is no worse than it was yesterday. Like most teams in the league. The Pens sign Ehroff but lose Niskanen. The Avs sign Iginla but lose Statsny. A lot of that around the league.

The difference between the Pens/Avs and us is age. We're fielding one of the oldest teams, with the oldest superstar group in the league. The Wings don't have the luxury of pissing away bad money on guys like Kyle Quincy if they want to win another Cup with the core they have now. If it were up to me I'd have a fire-sale and stock up on as many prospects and picks as I could because I don't see any value in the team where it stands now and I don't see the value of letting Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall retire as Red Wings.

I vehemently disagree that Kyle Quincey is better than Kindl or Lashoff. Quincey is, IMO, by far the worst d-man on the team and it's not even close. Kindl and Lashoff are bad in their own right, but they don't hold a candle to Quincey's atrocious play.

The only reason Quincey appears to be worse is because Kindl and Lashoff are ridiculously protected by playing against worse competition and starting in the offensive zone almost 60% of the time (compared to Quincey at a shade over 50%).

Quincey played all 82 games, led the team in minutes and led the Defense in takeaways. He was also a -8 in TA/GA ratio compared to:

Kronwall: -25

Smith: -31!

Dekeyser: -23

Ericsson: -21

Kindl: -20

Lashoff was only a -1, so yay, I guess.

The ONLY thing Kindl does better than Quincey is hit/avoid hits.

I will add this, though...

$4.25M is way too much for KFQ

For sure. But after you've been told rather publicly that you're not wanted, when Kenny has to crawl back to you it makes sense Quincey would make him squirm a bit and make him pay.

No offense to you as a person Tater, but the last line of your post is a joke.

What's a joke about it? So we keep finishing 8th and feel good about them retiring as Wings, BIG DEAL! If I could get top prospects at center and defense and stock-up on draft picks I'd take that over 8th and out every chance I get.

If you think we're winning another Cup, let alone making a Conference Final, with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall at the core than you are being jaded by organizational propaganda. This team WILL NOT MAKE another Cup Final with the core that they have now. And I'll eat the biggest play of crow you got if they do.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

What's a joke about it? So we keep finishing 8th and feel good about them retiring as Wings, BIG DEAL! If I could get top prospects at center and defense and stock-up on draft picks I'd take that over 8th and out every chance I get.

Pavel, Henrik and Kronwall are not the problems. Either way I would rather have those 3 guys than a bunch of 'young prospects', but that is just me.

One, no one is trading for Zetterberg and his back for the next 7 years at 6+M. Even Datsyuk doesn't have a ton of value because of his huge cap hit and age (not to mention a full NMC, which, as we've seen severely limits the return). Kronwall has "some" value, but I'd guess the value he brings to the Wings is worth more. No team is going to give up a "top prospect" for any of these guys.

Two, if Zetterberg and Datsyuk (and Weiss...and Alfie...and Ericsson...) were healthy last season, this team is better then an 8th place team.