Motor City Sonics

The 2014-15 Offseason

I'm disappointed Mrazek is going back to GR. I feel it is beneficial for the Wings, but I don't think Mrazek is going to take too kindly to it. There's no opening him for him in Detroit if it wasn't going to be this year. The Wings are better off sending him to another team for a decent young scorer and letting him get his shot in the NHL. I have no inside information or know anything about his emotions, but I would not be happy with going back to GR again if I were Mrazek. Wings aren't going to pressure Jimmy or even think about giving Mrazek (or anyone else) a shot at the starting job, and they're gonna keep sticking him in GR as long as all that's open is a back-up spot.

I disagree. Unless Howard has a remarkable season this year, the job is Mrazek's to lose either next season or the season after.

I would have loved to have got Garrison at this price. Apparently he would only waive his no-trade for Montreal or Tampa. Edler will stay put. Linden sees him as centrepiece who will rebound.

Kesler was quoted today as saying Canucks are years away from being a contender.

Dylan Larkin @ 15, from Michigan going to U of M next year, not a surprise. 6'1'' center who is supposed to be good two way player with leadership.

Saw that he wore Leafs gear to the WC this last season. But he said he hoped he would get drafted by the Wings so I guess that says a little about the Leafs!

Didn't even look over the draft results until right now.

Wings had seven picks and took six forwards and one goalie? Uhhhhhh. Alright.

I've always wanted Christian Ehrhoff. Now it appears he is in play.

But how expensive? Didn't he sign for 10 mil a year? That's way too much for him. He's a solid player, but no better than Kronwall.

EDIT..........Sorry it was 4 million for 10 years, not 10 million for 4 years.

The Sabres threw a lot of money at a lot of guys a few years ago and it failed miserably.

I wouldn't mind the Wings looking at Tomas Vanek either.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I guess I'm failing to see why that's an issue?

Their center depth in the minors after Janmark is pretty meh, while their defense pool seems to be deep with intriguing prospects. I don't mind going heavy on center hoping that a couple stick. Larkin is being compared to Helm with better offensive skill, so at least his speed will play.

But how expensive? Didn't he sign for 10 mil a year? That's way too much for him. He's a solid player, but no better than Kronwall.

EDIT..........Sorry it was 4 million for 10 years, not 10 million for 4 years.

The Sabres threw a lot of money at a lot of guys a few years ago and it failed miserably.

I wouldn't mind the Wings looking at Tomas Vanek either.

Dater says that there is mutual interest between Ehrhoff and Wings, but who knows if he's talking out of his rear. I really hope like others that he signs in Detroit.

I assume Vanek is going to sign in Minnesota for a friendly-ish contract.

I guess I'm failing to see why that's an issue?

Well the Wings defense has been atrocious for two years now and if anyone was going to help who is currently in the system, I figure they would have been up. There's no reason for a guy like Quincey (especially) or Lashoff to be on the roster at this point. And Kindl/Smith are not at the level which the Red Wings need to compete for a title. They need heavy improvement there more than anywhere else. I realize Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, etc. are supposed to be good players, but they don't seem to be getting a chance anytime soon.

Well the Wings defense has been atrocious for two years now and if anyone was going to help who is currently in the system, I figure they would have been up. There's no reason for a guy like Quincey (especially) or Lashoff to be on the roster at this point. And Kindl/Smith are not at the level which the Red Wings need to compete for a title. They need heavy improvement there more than anywhere else. I realize Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, etc. are supposed to be good players, but they don't seem to be getting a chance anytime soon.

So you think someone taken this year would get a chance sooner?

So you think someone taken this year would get a chance sooner?

Possibly - it seems pretty clear that the organization doesn't believe the current crop of defensive prospects are progressing well/fast enough to contribute any time soon to the Wings, or else they would have seen playing time outside of injuries over the last two years considering the Wings' D has been pretty atrocious since the departure of Lidstrom. I'm sure they could have taken a d-man this year in the 2nd or 3rd that could at least challenge Sproul/Ouellet for the top defensive prospect spot in the organization and maybe progress faster to a point of contributing to the big team by 2015-16. I am assuming we'll have to power through another less-than-stellar defensive group this upcoming year, regardless.

I'm pretty bullish on our defensive prospects, but that's just my opinion.

Rumor is that Wings are going to offer 2 years, $11 million to Boyle. FML.

The Red Wings have possibly the deepest and best defensive prospect pool in the NHL.

And this draft was VERY average. No defenseman selected anywhere outside the top 10 was going to jump in next season and contribute.

Will a 38-year Boyle even be much better next year than Quincey? 3 years ago, sure.

We need Ehroff. I'd be fine with overpaying and taking a chance that Niskanen lives up to it, but I'd say our chances of getting Niskanen are no better than 10%.

Wings are reportedly already out of the running for Ehrhoff. Ansar Khan says they only want to give him a 3 year deal and Ehrhoff is looking for 5 years. That doesn't make me happy. They are on the short list for Niskanen (fingers crossed).

Red Wings aggressively pursuing Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle in free agency; out on Christian Ehrhoff | MLive.com

Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 1m

According to the late-night stories from the diggers, the Red Wings don't want to pay Ehrhoff until he's almost as old as Dan Boyle is now.

That sums it up nicely.

Edited by hail2mich

Ehrhoff is a good player, but not on a 5 year deal.

They need to go hard after Niskanen, which is what I've been hoping for since about February.

Assuming this is correct: Detroit Red Wings Free Agents - 2014-2015

Let go of Bertuzzi, Cleary, Emmerton (I think he has to be on a one-way contract now?), Quincey, Samuelsson, Tootoo, bring back the rest if possible. Although I'm assuming Legwand will have suitors (thought I doubt he leaves this late in his career, probably wants to be close to home). I'm sure they'll give offers to all the RFA's.

Bertuzzi - already said they weren't bringing him back

Cleary - Scary article saying they were negotiating, hopefully it was wrong

Emmerton - they didn't tender him a qualifying offer, and he signed in the KHL. so wings won't even have his rights if he wants to come back. (The fans where he signed in Russia are mad about his signing, I can't believe the Wings gave him a role)

Quincey - It seems like the Wings don't want him back. I bet he gets a nice contract somewhere else. He was horrid during the first half of his last tenure in Detroit. I think he settled in to a good penalty killer that made REALLY big mistakes here and there. But I think the good outweighed the bad. He's not bad to have on your third pair.

Samuelsson - no way he comes back

Tootoo - compliance buyout, can't come back

Legwand supposedly has 10 teams interested. I'm fine with him leaving despite what it took to get him.

Wings made qualifying offers to Danny DeKeyser, Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, Adam Almquist, Landon Ferraro, Mitch Callahan and A. Nestrasil Almquist is going to the KHL. Ferraro and Callahan have to clear waivers.

For some reason Niskanen at 7 years scares me. The chance for it to go really bad scares me. He was very good this last season, but otherwise he wasn't a 7 year sort of player.

I wish Ehrhoff would take 3-4 years in Detroit. But too many teams need top defensemen so you have to decide who you want to overpay/give too many years to.