Motor City Sonics

The 2014-15 Offseason

I don't need to support an opinion, which I stated it was.

You brought up possession. I showed that they were in the top half of the league in possession stats ( I was wrong, by the way, they are 10th...not 12th) to refute your point.

I offered the (again) opinion that if the Wings could get a couple of defensemen who are capable of moving the puck out of their own zone, that the Wings would be even better, IN POSSESSION STATS, and could work their way back up near the top. OF POSSESSION STATS.

I said absolutely nothing about "winning" or "perennial playoff favorites".

hmmm really? weren't they like 14th in goals scored? goals against were mediocre at best maybe 12th or so? Anyway, that's not good is it? especially if you think the Wings "may" only need a "tweaking" with a couple of D then they might be a playoff contender again?! I hope you're right lol

Edited by skyguy52

KleShreen could score 25 goals in the QMJHL

Mario Lemieux in the QMJHL - Regular Season

1981–82 Laval Voisins QMJHL 64 games played 30 goals 66 assists 96 points

1982–83 Laval Voisins QMJHL 66 games played 84 goals 100 assists 184 points

1983–84 Laval Voisins QMJHL 70 games played 133 goals 149 assists 282 points

Mario Lemieux in the QMJHL - Postseason

1981–82 Laval Voisins QMJHL No Playoffs

1982–83 Laval Voisins QMJHL 12 games played 14 goals 18 assists 32 points

1983–84 Laval Voisins QMJHL 14 games played 29 goals 23 assists 52 points

I can't believe they thought Lemieux would be a star in the NHL given that he averaged only around 4 points/game in 83-84 in the QMJHL.

Edited by nd1377

Most points, one season

1st - 282 - Mario Lemieux, Laval Voisins, 1983–84 (70 games)

2nd - 251 - Pierre Larouche, Sorel Éperviers, 1973–74 (67 games)

3rd - 234 - Pat LaFontaine, Verdun Juniors, 1982–83 (70 games)

4th - 227 - Michel Deziel, Sorel Éperviers, 1973–74 (69 games)

5th - 216 - Real Cloutier, Quebec Remparts, 1973–74 (69 games)

6th - 214 - Jacques Cossette, Sorel Éperviers, 1973–74 (68 games)

8th - 209 - Guy Lafleur, Quebec Remparts, 1970–71 (62 games)

9th - 206 - Jacques Locas, Quebec Remparts, 1973–74 (63 games)

10th - 201 - Marc Fortier, Chicoutimi Saguenéens, 1986–87 (65 games)

11th - 200 - Patrice Lefebvre, Shawinigan Cataractes, 1987–88 (70 games)

You mean a 1st overall pick turned into a star?

Whoda thunk it?

I was being sarcastic and I was pointing out that 282 points in 70 games is pretty impressive. I was really young then, but does anyone know when Mario was drafted was he spoken or touted as the next Gretzky or can't miss NHL superstar?

I was being sarcastic and I was pointing out that 282 points in 70 games is pretty impressive. I was really young then, but does anyone know when Mario was drafted was he spoken or touted as the next Gretzky or can't miss NHL superstar?

Yes he was, Lemieux was very highly touted, higher than the other post-Gretzky superhyped prospects - Lindros, Thornton, Crosby. But the knock against Lemieux was that he was sullen and not very passionate about the game or about getting better. It wasn't until the '87 Canada Cup that his image started to change, and then came the Cups and then his return from lymphoma elevated his profile through the roof.

Mantha was named the CHL Player of the Year. His Memorial Cup performance was so-so. 1 goal 3 assists in 4 games.

That would be the fail boat.

Nice boat. Looks like the S.S. Minnow. Sorry you couldn't keep it off the rocks. Must be depressing for you.

Mantha was named the CHL Player of the Year. His Memorial Cup performance was so-so. 1 goal 3 assists in 4 games.

It seemed like his team (along with Tyler Bertuzzi's Storm) were pretty tired.

Bertuzzi ended up with 5 goals in 4 games (most in the MC tournament).

The Malik Report - Kukla's Korner

don't know that much about him, but according to Hockej.cz's Ales Krecl and iSport, the Red Wings are close to signing a European free agent in Tomas Nosek, a 21-year-old forward who's played for HC Pardubice of the Czech Extraliga for the past three seasons.

Nosek, a left-winger who's listed at 6'2" and 201 pounds (per EliteProspects), posted some very solid numbers for Pardubice--19 goals, 25 assists and 44 points in 52 games during the 2013-2014 season--and while Nosek's agent, Ales Volek, is issuing a "no comment," Wings scout Vladimir Havluj spoke with Hockej.cz's Krecl about the probability of the team signing Nosek before June 15th, the last day that NHL teams can sign European-born players to overseas contracts without paying an extra "penalty."

Translation to an article at the link as well.

I don't think I'd even want him on a two way contract because I don't want him taking away ice time from prospects. #$*%ing hell.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m

Per #RedWings GM Ken Holland, "it appears we've agreed to a one-year deal" with G Jonas Gustavsson. Official announcement coming soon.

Looks like another year for Mrazek in Grand Rapids. I thought he has shown he could handle the backup spot, but I guess they want him to play more games than he would see up in Detroit . That being said, I don't mind having Gustavsson back though. He is good enough IF he stays healthy.

Tootoo cleared waivers.

I wanted Mrazek to backup just from the cap space angle, but Gus was a fairly strong backup last year based on my personal viewing of him so I'm not too upset. I doubt he could have gotten a starting gig somewhere due to his injury history.

Just saw on twitter than Alfredsson wants to return for another season. I would be totally alright with him on another 1 year deal

I would too as long as the money was cut in half.