Motor City Sonics

The 2014-15 Offseason

Just a place to speculate, vent, dream, pretend............

Johan Franzen is not going anywhere. The Red Wings still consider him a 20 goal guy. That's what Babcock and Holland are saying....but I think it's really about the fact that to buy him out now would be extremely expensive with 6 (yes, 6) more years left on his deal.

On 105.1 today Ken Holland kind of hinted at Jordin Tootoo being the guy they amnesty this offseason.

Won't save them much money, but it'll help.

I guess the shopping list includes

1 - Defensman with right-handed shot (Dan Boyle or Derek Morris?)

2 - Defensman with right-handed shot

3 - Scoring winger

4 - Backup Goalie (Mrazek won't be the backup next year, Monster may go where he could start).

Just a place to speculate, vent, dream, pretend............

Johan Franzen is not going anywhere. The Red Wings still consider him a 20 goal guy. That's what Babcock and Holland are saying....but I think it's really about the fact that to buy him out now would be extremely expensive with 6 (yes, 6) more years left on his deal.

On 105.1 today Ken Holland kind of hinted at Jordin Tootoo being the guy they amnesty this offseason.

Won't save them much money, but it'll help.

I guess the shopping list includes

1 - Defensman with right-handed shot (Dan Boyle or Derek Morris?)

2 - Defensman with right-handed shot

3 - Scoring winger

4 - Backup Goalie (Mrazek won't be the backup next year, Monster may go where he could start).

Holland on Tootoo seemed like more that a hint. I like that he said he was a boring GM

Signing Franzen to an 11 year extension was pretty stupid and even though, at the time, I thought it was more important to sign him than Hossa (because of age and potential), 11 years is too long to sign anyone.

I guess guys that score 15-20 goals a season are now making 4 million a year so it is not outrageous for the production the Wings get out of him, but if anyone expects him to be the same player he was, they're crazy. Never been the same since the concussion, he never will be and he's probably one more concussion away from his career being over....and that's probably why he doesn't play physical anymore.

Yeah, the Tootoo thing was more than a hint.........sounds like they already talked about it.

I'd like to see them get Thomas Vanek. I don't know about Derek Morris......he's missed a lot of games the last 3-4 years.

The contract was 11 years because they wanted to spread the cap hit over a long period of time, not because they thought he would be effective for 11 years.

I'd guess they expected him to be at the 30 - 40 goal range for 3 or 4 years and then begin to fall off.

Shouldn't this thread be titled "The 2014 Offseason"?

I don't believe this offseason will stretch into 2015.

And a thing about Franzen is that his regular season production really hasn't fallen off. While he's inconsistent and streaky within a season, he's pretty consistent season to season.

At the start of his career, he wasn't projected to be a top 6 forward anyways. As a goal-scorer, he really came out of nowhere in the 2007-2008 season.

And look at these stats:

2006-2007 Games 69 10G 20A 30PTS

2007-2008 Games 72 27-11-38

2008-2009 Games 72 34-25-59

2009-2010 Games 27 10-11-21

2010-2011 Games 76 28-27-55

2011-2012 Games 77 29-27-56

2012-2013 Games 41 14-17-31

2013-2014 Games 54 16-25-41

His 82-game pace in 2012-2013 was 28-34-62 and his 82-game pace in 2013-2014 was 24-37-61.

He just happened to have a couple of insanely good playoff stretches that suggested he had higher upside potential.

I guess you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. Perform better in the playoffs than the regular season and they think you're a floater, but perform worse in the playoffs than the regular season and they think you're a choker.

Shouldn't this thread be titled "The 2014 Offseason"?

I don't believe this offseason will stretch into 2015.

It's the NHL, we could have another lockout.

If Niskanen isn't signed by the Penguins, at least a dozen teams will bid for him. The Wings wouldn't be the only ones willing to "overpay". So not sure why Niskanen would choose the Wings. Missing out on Suter was a turning point for this franchise. With each year that goes by, the perception of the Wings being elite fades and our chance at free agents only declines.

I'd personally love it if we traded both Hank and Kronwall for a batch of prospects. But I recognize that we have a GM who has made ZERO bold moves in the past 4 years, so that ain't happening.

Sharks and Wings. Different conferences. Both have talent, both need to shake things up. Start thinking ...

I'd personally love it if we traded both Hank and Kronwall for a batch of prospects. But I recognize that we have a GM who has made ZERO bold moves in the past 4 years, so that ain't happening.

They already have a top 10 system. They need more NHL players, not less.

They could use a few 29 year olds. They have some good players 33 years old or older who are still strong but who are leaving their prime. We also have some good players who are 25 or younger who are not quite there yet. We could trade from either or both of these groups to get players in the heart of their prime.

They could use a few 29 year olds. They have some good players 33 years old or older who are still strong but who are leaving their prime. We also have some good players who are 25 or younger who are not quite there yet. We could trade from either or both of these groups to get players in the heart of their prime.

This.

And sign Matt Niskanen. Give him 5 Little Caesars franchises for all I care. Just do it.

Sharks and Wings. Different conferences. Both have talent, both need to shake things up. Start thinking ...

Henrik Zetterberg and 2014 3rd round pick to San Jose for Tomas Hertl/C and a 2014 1st and 2nd round pick

Niklas Kronwall to Montreal for Nathan Beaulieu/D and a 2014 3rd round pick

Erik Karlsson from Ottawa for Gus and Mrazek. Pipedream I know....

I don't think Ottawa would make that trade. I would for the Wings though.

I don't think San Jose would make the Zetterberg trade either.

But these are the deals I like thinking about.

Primeau and Coffey for Shanahan wasn't a bums for bum trade.

In San Jose's case my justification is that they are one player away from finally making the step from playoff choke to legit Cup contender. Who better to acquire than a guy like Hank Zetterberg; someone who has been both a leader and a point producing beast.

That's crazy talk, folks. Not saying it isn't an interesting idea, but the way he came back, still hurting, to play against Boston, taking extra abuse in that first game and then scoring in the second - he gained legendary captain status now. He's the heart - they won't cut out their heart.

I think we are going to take Dan Boyle from them if we can (if he wants to play here). I am sure after the latest meltdown he'll want to get out of San Jose. But the new arena hasn't even broken ground yet, so Detroit is still not a popular destination.

That's crazy talk, folks. Not saying it isn't an interesting idea, but the way he came back, still hurting, to play against Boston, taking extra abuse in that first game and then scoring in the second - he gained legendary captain status now. He's the heart - they won't cut out their heart.

I think we are going to take Dan Boyle from them if we can (if he wants to play here). I am sure after the latest meltdown he'll want to get out of San Jose. But the new arena hasn't even broken ground yet, so Detroit is still not a popular destination.

Sharks fans - not that you can always trust message boards - have been pretty down on Boyle as being in full decline. I don't have a problem with a 37 year or old for a year or two but I could see Boyle getting 3 or 4 years.

If Niskanen isn't signed by the Penguins, at least a dozen teams will bid for him. The Wings wouldn't be the only ones willing to "overpay". So not sure why Niskanen would choose the Wings. Missing out on Suter was a turning point for this franchise. With each year that goes by, the perception of the Wings being elite fades and our chance at free agents only declines.

I think this is more myth than reality. The available pool of attractive free agents continues to get smaller. The Wings signed Stephen Weiss and Daniel Alfredsson, who were both considered two of the more attractive free agents of the 2013 class. But the biggest signing was probably in the Spring, when Dan DeKeyser chose the Wings over every other franchise. And lets not forget Danny Cleary chose the Wings over Philly ;) The other two "big fish" in the free agent market last year were Nathan Horton, who went to Columbus from Boston, and David Clarkson, who went from New Jersey to Toronto. I think there are very few Jarome Iginlas who can pick and choose where they go and are still productive enough that they are attractive to contending teams.

With the cap, too, players have fewer options where they can sign. So I think it probably comes down to who shows them the money more so than signing with an elite team. The Wings/Ilitch family reputation as owners and the Wings consistency year to year will attract most players. But you will always have players like Suter and Parise who sign with a team for family reasons. No team will get every free agent, but I'm confident that the Wings are still an attractive destination to the majority of NHL players.

A new arena helps make the Wings more attractive, and being a younger team helps, but Detroit is just another team now. It's been 6 years since they won a Cup and they haven't come close the last 4 years. It's different now.

A new arena helps make the Wings more attractive, and being a younger team helps, but Detroit is just another team now. It's been 6 years since they won a Cup and they haven't come close the last 4 years. It's different now.

I guess I didn't explain myself very well:ermm::ermm: I don't think we lost out on Parise or Suter because our arena was older or because we hadn't won the Cup in a few years. They signed with Minnesota, not Boston, Chicago or LA. Even with them, I don't think most consider the Wild a team that has any immediate hopes of winning the Cup or that has a plethora of young and exciting players or is any kind of trendy Metropolitan area. It would seem that family proximity and or money had the biggest influence on the decision.

After those two, what big free agents has Ken Holland pursued that have turned us down to sign with a "better" team? Possibly Iginla, but then again, he spurned the Penguins, too, after being traded there. I don't that they would be considered a team or a city on the decline.

Detroit has seemingly signed every major free agent that they have gone after since Parise and Suter. (DeKeyser, Weiss, Alfredsson) It was a kick in the gut to most fans that any player would shun Detroit, but based on what they said, it didn't seem to have anything to do with our status as not being "elite" any more. I just don't know where the impression that free agents don't want to come to Detroit comes from.

Detroit also used to be a much more attractive destination because we (Mr. Ilitch) could (or would) pay more than anyone else. The salary cap has leveled the playing field and now we don't have the advantage of offering more than other teams. Thanks, Bettman.

Step 1 - Put Anthony Mantha on Wings

Step 2 - Play him in top six forwards

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit.