Motor City Sonics

The Suh Resolution

What will be the Suh Resolution?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the Suh Resolution?

• He plays this season and then leaves for Free Agency
    • He will sign a long term extension.
    • He will be traded before or during the NFL Draft

Echo, you have a weird habit of attributing the valuing of "talent" over winning to all non super negative Lions fans. Its kind of getting bizarre. Talent is a good way to predict what will happen in the future, but I assure you nobody on this board cares what the talent level is if we aren't winning. You aren't alone in this idea.

I didn't think I was attributing anything...you and T&P have both told me that judging a general manager based on wins was ineffective and Mayhew has succeed in acquiring talent (but not winning). If you don't care about the talent level if we aren't winning, then why are you content with the current executives (who haven't won)? I have been saying over and over that I am not happy with the current regime because we aren't winning and you and T&P have suggested that I am overly critical of a staff that, while lacking wins, is a successful regime. And to be completely honest, I dislike the term "talented" a lot due to its subjectivity. You can't quantify talent or how superior athletic ability will translate to success on the field. I also think that some fans can overvalue their players value or "talent" as is observed in the Tigers thread around the trade deadline year in and year out.

The Saints had to cut half their team and were still only like 3 mil under the cap when they signed Byrd.

edit - actually looks like the boys will be 13-20 mil under the cap pretty easily.

The team with $24 million in dead money on the cap and a QB who just had back surgery with a contract that they can't cut? And committed big money to a linebacker who just tore his ACL again who they can't cut? And they just committed $12 million a year to their left tackle until he's 35?

The Lions will have a lot more money to spend than the Cowboys next year. We'll see.

The team with $24 million in dead money on the cap and a QB who just had back surgery with a contract that they can't cut? And committed big money to a linebacker who just tore his ACL again who they can't cut? And they just committed $12 million a year to their left tackle until he's 35?

The Lions will have a lot more money to spend than the Cowboys next year. We'll see.

I'm not predicting them to sign Suh. Just saying crazier things have happened.

I can see still see them trading Fairley after the season for a draft pick & using the extra cash to re-sign Suh before he's officially a free-agent. I guess a lot of that depends on how the season turns out - & how both perform.

I'm not predicting them to sign Suh. Just saying crazier things have happened.

true.

I can see still see them trading Fairley after the season for a draft pick & using the extra cash to re-sign Suh before he's officially a free-agent. I guess a lot of that depends on how the season turns out - & how both perform.

They didnt make fairley a qualifying offer so he will be a free agent after the season. They cant trade him.

They didnt make fairley a qualifying offer so he will be a free agent after the season. They cant trade him.

Oh. Never mind.

Emily-Litella.jpg.be4ddd4b490e14b21ec6b6

Emily-Litella.jpg.be4ddd4b490e14b21ec6b6

I still wonder if the Lions defensive braintrust is planning on converting over to a 3-4, which would mean they would need a nose tackle.

I just want to say one more thing in regards to Mayhew, outside of the 2013 draft(which many people think Xanders had a big influence in) and Stafford has he ever made the "right" pick? I love Suh but even as good as he is according to many metrics like PFF McCoy is better than he is without the head ache. He passed on the best young pass rusher in football in Quinn for Fairley.(And in that draft Fairley remains the only non QB in the first 15 picks not to make a pro bowl). And of course we all know about his 2nd round and late 1st round history. IMO Mayhew has been complete garbage, we had 1 good year and that was because Stafford played out of his mind. Other than that we have been a 6 or less win team, must like we were under Millen.(with the exception of the outlier 08 season) He has had 6 years to improve us and he really hasn't. Like I said before if Millen had a prime Calvin Johnson and a QB as talented as Stafford I guarantee you his teams would've had atleast 1 10 win season like Mayhew. He has been garbage otherwise.

Come on, there are enough threads with Mayhew hate, not that's all we want to talk about in the Suh thread?

I just want to say one more thing in regards to Mayhew, outside of the 2013 draft(which many people think Xanders had a big influence in) and Stafford has he ever made the "right" pick? I love Suh but even as good as he is according to many metrics like PFF McCoy is better than he is without the head ache. He passed on the best young pass rusher in football in Quinn for Fairley.(And in that draft Fairley remains the only non QB in the first 15 picks not to make a pro bowl). And of course we all know about his 2nd round and late 1st round history. IMO Mayhew has been complete garbage, we had 1 good year and that was because Stafford played out of his mind. Other than that we have been a 6 or less win team, must like we were under Millen.(with the exception of the outlier 08 season) He has had 6 years to improve us and he really hasn't. Like I said before if Millen had a prime Calvin Johnson and a QB as talented as Stafford I guarantee you his teams would've had atleast 1 10 win season like Mayhew. He has been garbage otherwise.

I can agree that Mayhew hasn't really made the "right" pick as you are seemingly defining it but I don't necessarily blame him for many of the picks he made. Suh was going #2 regardless of who picked there, IMO, and I can't really blame him for not knowing that McCoy would end up being the superior DT.

Fairley was a pick I didn't love. If I remember correctly, he was projected top 5 and fell to #13...I don't love going DT in the first round in back-to-back drafts but I understand trying to get the value when it was there. The whole idea of "BPA" is one that I never really agreed with, but I understand the rationale. We were so void of "talent" that Mayhew just needed to pick up talented guys and figure it out later. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked yet and I have to imagine that going BPA in football works less times than it fails but I don't have any stats or figures to support or deny that assertion. Having a guy like Quinn would have definitely increased our pass rushing ability which I think would have made our secondary look better also, it would have been a nice acquisition. I also agree that if Millen was GM for the last 5 years he would have also had at least one 10 win season like Mayhew did.

Mccoy is not superior to Suh IMO. I would not trade for him. That has nothing to do with defending Mayhew either. Mccoy is plenty good and woudln't have been a bad pick if made.

His overall draft record, as I've stated, deserves criticism. He's been, IMO, a plus on FAs and trades though.

I don't think there is anything all that surprising about this story.

A team is making contingency plans for players about to hit free agency? Big deal.

A player's agent is floating stories that he would like to play - and get endorsements in - a big market like NY? It's called driving up the market.

Suh wants to have the biggest contract of any DT, and possibly of any defensive player. I personally doubt he will get J.J. Watt money, but if the Lions offer him the best deal, I expect him to stay. If not, I would not be surprised to see him go.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

The #Bucs and star DT Gerald McCoy have agreed to a 7-year extension, as @JayGlazer said. Source says it’s worth $98M with $51.5M guaranteed

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

The #Bucs and star DT Gerald McCoy have agreed to a 7-year extension, as @JayGlazer said. Source says it’s worth $98M with $51.5M guaranteed

I predict that Suh will get somewhere around a 7 year/$105 million deal.

Yesterday's game is a reminder that we need to pay the man.

Can the Lions pull some strings and have Ford Motors offer Suh a huge endorsement deal to help him be the "star" that he wants to be.

I wonder if his Chrylser contract has any strings attached as far as future endorsements in the field?

#1 rated DT according to PFF. I don't need any outside source to tell me that though.

I can't believe the Dolphins single covered him on their first possession.

#1 rated DT according to PFF. I don't need any outside source to tell me that though.

I can't believe the Dolphins single covered him on their first possession.

I bet he was surprised as well. Eyes as big as pie tins, I tells ya'!

Yesterday's game is a reminder that we need to pay the man.

Can the Lions pull some strings and have Ford Motors offer Suh a huge endorsement deal to help him be the "star" that he wants to be.

I wonder if his Chrylser contract has any strings attached as far as future endorsements in the field?

"Built Suh Tough"