Motor City Sonics

The Suh Resolution

What will be the Suh Resolution?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the Suh Resolution?

• He plays this season and then leaves for Free Agency
    • He will sign a long term extension.
    • He will be traded before or during the NFL Draft

I assume he means something like he could have pulled a John Elway - I won't play for such & such team. Or had false information leaked that could have brought up question marks. I really think we're reaching the point now where it's utterly ridiculous the scrutiny that's being placed on Suh.

I assume he means something like he could have pulled a John Elway - I won't play for such & such team. Or had false information leaked that could have brought up question marks. I really think we're reaching the point now where it's utterly ridiculous the scrutiny that's being placed on Suh.

I don't understand this part of your post. Suh made a really strange comment.

I don't think it's strange at all. IMO, he's saying he could've pulled drat day shenanigans to ensure he didn't end up in Detroit, but he didn't because he wanted to be here.

It might be incredibly misguided, but I don't think it's strange.

A player drafted that high can make it clear that they don't want to be somewhere, and I would think it happens more often than they we find out.

I'm sure suh was advised by some people to try to avoid being drafted by detroit (or make it clear such that he would be traded to another team).

I understand why he said that. He's been getting a lot of questions about his commitment to the lions, so he probably thought an anecdote about how he could have avoided being here in the first place would carry some weight.

I thought the comment made good sense. Could have worded it differently, but really nothing to see here.

People will put Suh on BBQ for just about anything.

I thought the comment made good sense. Could have worded it differently, but really nothing to see here.

People will put Suh on BBQ for just about anything.

I think I just realized that just about everyone is going to hate on SOMEONE. I could put a haters gonna hate pic in the Joe D thread for you...and here you are defending Suh who half the board is railing. I was gonna put a haters gonna hate pic up on here and realized I was going to do the exact same thing in the Joe D thread for you.

lol

FTR: I put ZERO thought into Suh going to voluntary stuff. It is ALL about on the field for me. I think Suh says what he does and does what he does because he knows people will talk it to death....and it literally means NOTHING. He HAS to sit back and lol about it sometimes.....I would.

I don't think it's strange at all. IMO, he's saying he could've pulled drat day shenanigans to ensure he didn't end up in Detroit, but he didn't because he wanted to be here.

It might be incredibly misguided, but I don't think it's strange.

But doesn't everyone know that already, given that it has actually happened recently with Eli? I guess I just didn't get why he said it. Is he trying to make a case for being a good guy because he didn't do that? Is that his way of saying he doesn't hate Detroit? Maybe I'm just dense. Who knows?

Not sure if it was mentioned, but didn't Barry Sanders skip all the voluntary crap?

yup.

Then again, what did they win with Barry? :dead:

But doesn't everyone know that already, given that it has actually happened recently with Eli? I guess I just didn't get why he said it. Is he trying to make a case for being a good guy because he didn't do that? Is that his way of saying he doesn't hate Detroit? Maybe I'm just dense. Who knows?

And moreover, if his point was to show how much he loved being in Detroit and how he wanted to be here since day one why wouldn't he stay and just clarify or finish answering questions. What he said doesn't even seem like the strangest part, it's the fact that he then just walked off the podium and left everyone wondering what he actually meant. It seems like it would have only taken a few sentences which would result in what...an additional 20 seconds?

"I could have decided not to play for Detroit like Eli did with SD, I didn't. I love the franchise, I love the city, I want to retire a Lion." Probably more like 5 seconds than 20. The fact that he doesn't say something along those lines and is constantly inhibiting the process of signing a long term deal (no agent, not showing up to VOLUNTARY workouts, saying odd things like this) just doesn't show me that he wants to be here long term. If he wants to be here long term, then why not just help out the process and allow the Lions to give him one of the richest defensive contracts in the history of the NFL (which the Lions seem to be willing to do)?

And moreover, if his point was to show how much he loved being in Detroit and how he wanted to be here since day one why wouldn't he stay and just clarify or finish answering questions. What he said doesn't even seem like the strangest part, it's the fact that he then just walked off the podium and left everyone wondering what he actually meant. It seems like it would have only taken a few sentences which would result in what...an additional 20 seconds?

"I could have decided not to play for Detroit like Eli did with SD, I didn't. I love the franchise, I love the city, I want to retire a Lion." Probably more like 5 seconds than 20. The fact that he doesn't say something along those lines and is constantly inhibiting the process of signing a long term deal (no agent, not showing up to VOLUNTARY workouts, saying odd things like this) just doesn't show me that he wants to be here long term. If he wants to be here long term, then why not just help out the process and allow the Lions to give him one of the richest defensive contracts in the history of the NFL (which the Lions seem to be willing to do)?

Because he is trolling you and he enjoys it.

Because he is trolling you and he enjoys it.

Which begs the question: is it a good idea to give one of the richest defensive contracts in the history of the game to a troll? Haynesworth trolled the Redskins HARD by signing a huge deal and then bragging about how he was never going to try and actively wanted to get released and just live off his signing bonus. Not sure if trolls are who should break the bank for.

Which begs the question: is it a good idea to give one of the richest defensive contracts in the history of the game to a troll? Haynesworth trolled the Redskins HARD by signing a huge deal and then bragging about how he was never going to try and actively wanted to get released and just live off his signing bonus. Not sure if trolls are who should break the bank for.

Suh does try though, and he is the best at this position. What he said today means absolutely nothing.

Probably not. No argument from me. Suh is a damn good player and I would like to keep him, but I do not want to break the bank on a DT. I just do not give a rats butt what he does in his own time or if he shows up for voluntary anything. Earn your money on the field.

Suh does try though, and he is the best at this position. What he said today means absolutely nothing.

Haynesworth tried hard before his monster contract and was the best at his position (which Suh is not). And fine, what he said today means absolutely nothing...but is it what you want to hear from a guy who is slotted to be the cornerstone of your franchise and one of the highest paid defensive players to ever play the game? If Suh wanted to be here...why didn't he have an agent prior to FA? Why didn't he strive to get a deal done to lower his cap (and make him the highest paid defensive player in the game) and help the Lions better compete this year? Why after making this odd statement did he just leave the podium and not explain what the hell he was talking about? If he wants to be here why doesn't he come out and say, "I want to get a deal done ASAP, help my team in every single way possible, and have my number retired and my plaque in the HoF as a Detroit Lion?"

People/fans keep saying how these things Suh is doing, "don't mean anything." But are you HAPPY with what he is saying and doing? Are you glad that he made ZERO attempt to sign a contract extension and lower the Lions cap? If he REALLY, REALLY wanted to be a Lion long-term and if he REALLY wanted the Lions to win...why isn't he doing these things? It's not like these are off-the-wall crazy requests...Cutler restructured his contract twice this offseason to help the Bears sign other players, Tom Brady has done it multiple times...it happens every offseason, why doesn't Suh?

Probably not. No argument from me. Suh is a damn good player and I would like to keep him, but I do not want to break the bank on a DT. I just do not give a rats butt what he does in his own time or if he shows up for voluntary anything. Earn your money on the field.

I understand this sentiment, I do. But there are other things players can do that will help the team win. Signing a contract extension to lower his monster cap number is one of those things. And yeah, he doesn't NEED to show up for anything voluntary...but the great leaders do. If you are going to pay Suh to be one of the highest paid defensive players in the history of the NFL he should be doing more than just showing up every Sunday. He needs to be a leader, to be a "team-player", to put the team first and himself second. Would Nick Lidstrom or Steve Yzerman do any of the things Suh has been doing this offseason? How about Joe Dumars? Or Verlander? Those guys are leaders, for the most part you could tell that they wanted to be in Detroit and there were no excuses. With Suh it just seems like excuse after excuse...

What Suh said has absolutely nothing to do with whether he'll re-sign in Detroit or how he will perform on the field. I really don't know what else the guy can do to prove himself. Every time he farts it's a national emergency. Pundits go off on what a trouble maker he is. I think we've come to expect way too much from people.

Haynesworth tried hard before his monster contract and was the best at his position (which Suh is not). And fine, what he said today means absolutely nothing...but is it what you want to hear from a guy who is slotted to be the cornerstone of your franchise and one of the highest paid defensive players to ever play the game? If Suh wanted to be here...why didn't he have an agent prior to FA? Why didn't he strive to get a deal done to lower his cap (and make him the highest paid defensive player in the game) and help the Lions better compete this year? Why after making this odd statement did he just leave the podium and not explain what the hell he was talking about? If he wants to be here why doesn't he come out and say, "I want to get a deal done ASAP, help my team in every single way possible, and have my number retired and my plaque in the HoF as a Detroit Lion?"

People/fans keep saying how these things Suh is doing, "don't mean anything." But are you HAPPY with what he is saying and doing? Are you glad that he made ZERO attempt to sign a contract extension and lower the Lions cap? If he REALLY, REALLY wanted to be a Lion long-term and if he REALLY wanted the Lions to win...why isn't he doing these things? It's not like these are off-the-wall crazy requests...Cutler restructured his contract twice this offseason to help the Bears sign other players, Tom Brady has done it multiple times...it happens every offseason, why doesn't Suh?

I am happy with Suh, I have absolutely no issue with anything he is doing. I don't care about his agent stuff, or what he said, or skipping workouts. He commands a triple team nearly every play and doesn't take plays off. The rest is peanut gallery.

And stop comparing him to haynseworth. It seems you are only making that comparison because they both play DT. Let Suh play this year and see what happens. Wouldn't bother me too much if he signed elsewhere because it gives us cap space, but I am not sweating it either way. He is going to have a monster season.

What Suh said has absolutely nothing to do with whether he'll re-sign in Detroit or how he will perform on the field. I really don't know what else the guy can do to prove himself. Every time he farts it's a national emergency. Pundits go off on what a trouble maker he is. I think we've come to expect way too much from people.

Holy non sequitur. Where did I mention re-signing or performance on the field?

Edited by sagnam

Suh takes the field every Sunday and demolishes the opposition. He's almost certainly the best DL in the NFL since he was drafted. And people (especially the press) are nickel-and-diming him to death.

Really what this comes down to, in my view, is that the press dislikes him because he engages with the media on his terms, not theirs. The press loved mediocre players like Nate Burleson and Brandon Inge because they always gave a good quote. So the press paid them back by pushing this ridiculous crap about them being "leaders". I didn't see the teammates they "led" shedding lots of tears when they got cut.

Suh makes his statements on his terms, the media hates it, and it turns into a ridiculous sideshow story that has nothing to do with the team's performance.

Suh takes the field every Sunday and demolishes the opposition. He's almost certainly the best DL in the NFL since he was drafted. And people (especially the press) are nickel-and-diming him to death.

Really what this comes down to, in my view, is that the press dislikes him because he engages with the media on his terms, not theirs. The press loved mediocre players like Nate Burleson and Brandon Inge because they always gave a good quote. So the press paid them back by pushing this ridiculous crap about them being "leaders". I didn't see the teammates they "led" shedding lots of tears when they got cut.

Suh makes his statements on his terms, the media hates it, and it turns into a ridiculous sideshow story that has nothing to do with the team's performance.

+1, you nailed it.

Suh is all about Suh. And there's nothing wrong with that.

It seems to me that he's concerned with making money and keeping his name in the news. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's performed as well on the field as anyone in the NFL.

But I have a feeling he's going to want the publicity that will come with a free agent pursuit of the best DT in the NFL. Unless the Lions start winning this year, I think he's going to test the market. It will be the best way to keep him in the news.

Suh is all about Suh. And there's nothing wrong with that.

It seems to me that he's concerned with making money and keeping his name in the news. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's performed as well on the field as anyone in the NFL.

But I have a feeling he's going to want the publicity that will come with a free agent pursuit of the best DT in the NFL. Unless the Lions start winning this year, I think he's going to test the market. It will be the best way to keep him in the news.

I largely agree with this - especially Suh being about Suh, and about him exploring free agency - but I do find it hard to believe that Suh has a well thought out publicity strategy. He just seems to me to be surly by nature.

Holy non sequitur. Where did I mention re-signing or performance on the field?

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you. I didn't mean it to sound that way. I know you just posted the link `cuz you thought what he said was interesting/strange. I have just grown weary of listening of the attacks on him. His contract is a topic of discussion, but I should have made sure I was directing my comments in general, & not to you specifically.