Motor City Sonics

The Suh Resolution

What will be the Suh Resolution?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the Suh Resolution?

• He plays this season and then leaves for Free Agency
    • He will sign a long term extension.
    • He will be traded before or during the NFL Draft

What's going to happen with Suh? I mean, sure it's "voluntary" but everyone else made it. He's supposed to be a leader. Leaders show up. When a new coaching staff and new wrinkles are introduced, it was a chance to get off to a good start. I am certain he is sending another clear message that he does not want to be here. First he doesn't hire an agent so he wouldn't have to negotiate, now he's doing this. Could it be any clearer? But some still think he's going to sign here.

I'm not so sure he's going to show up for the mandatory on time either.

I don't think there is any way they trade him due to the huge cap hit they would still be on the hook for. Suh has never come off as selfish "I want to get paid" athlete with all of the money he has donated over the years. You also do everything you can to not let one of the best players at his position in the league to walk away. I frankly don't care if he shows up for these workouts. Barry didn't show up to them all the time so who cares. Half the team isn't doing anything at them either but stand around and watch. I still think they get a deal done right around the draft to free up some space with his cap hit.

I don't think there is any way they trade him due to the huge cap hit they would still be on the hook for. Suh has never come off as selfish "I want to get paid" athlete with all of the money he has donated over the years. You also do everything you can to not let one of the best players at his position in the league to walk away. I frankly don't care if he shows up for these workouts. Barry didn't show up to them all the time so who cares. Half the team isn't doing anything at them either but stand around and watch. I still think they get a deal done right around the draft to free up some space with his cap hit.

Trade him and take the cap hit this year, get an extra draft pick (or two) and then have a lot more space for free agency next year. I don't think the team is going to do much this year anyway. Hard to tell until we see the draft.

Trade him and take the cap hit this year, get an extra draft pick (or two) and then have a lot more space for free agency next year. I don't think the team is going to do much this year anyway. Hard to tell until we see the draft.

The problem with that line of thinking is that Caldwell came out of the gate saying he expects the team to win THIS YEAR. And if they don't Mayhew's job is in jeopardy, so he's going to do everything he can to avoid having a hole in the D line AND a $19+ cap hit going to that void.

People need to quit with the witch hunt against Suh. In September when he is commanding triple teams no one will even remember he missed these workouts.

Suh is fine.

I want a deal to get done and am curious to see how it plays out.

I could give two ***** about the minicamps though.

Owners are paying players BIG money now a days and I think they want more 'ownership' of the players....I think Suh will sign a deal with us and then go on to talk about how a 'voluntary mini camp' is just that and he IS a team player. It will turn into a media back and forth over 'ownership' and the money these guys are making now a days and blah blah blah. I really think there is going to come a time when the owners of the teams will almost literally own the player until the contract is up. No more winters off boys! You will be in training/study mode all year eventually.

This whole thing is nothing more than self promotion IMO and Suh is probably sitting back and laughing at everyone getting their panties in a bunch over something that is supposed to be voluntary. It is fairly hilarious.

THAT would draw the biggest 'news' audience and Suh loves him some self promotion.

I want a deal to get done and am curious to see how it plays out.

I could give two ***** about the minicamps though.

Does anyone know what Caldwell thinks about Suh missing the voluntary camps? He probably wanted to at least meet the leaders of the team.

I could care less as long as he shows up and performs on game days.

People need to quit with the witch hunt against Suh. In September when he is commanding triple teams no one will even remember he missed these workouts.

Suh is fine.

I agree... mostly... but I also think that if he was really interested in staying in Detroit he would be at these camps. He would be making an effort to learn the new coaching staff and scheme and he would be making an effort to be a leader.

I'm not overly worried about him, but I am a little disappointed that he didn't show up, just from a leadership perspective.

I picked the option that he'd leave in free agency, but what I really think is that he's going to see how this year goes. If he doesn't like the coach or the direction the team is taking he'll bolt in free agency. If he's happy with where things are headed he'll stay.

On a side note: There is zero chance the Lions trade him. No team is going to trade for him for anything more than a 3rd without a long term contract in place, and I'm not sure any team wants to give up a first or second for a player they can get for "free" a year later.

I remember a certain rb 20 years ago that didn't really do voluntary camps every year. It's not really necessary. We don't have games for another 4+ months.

If anything, the Lions need more depth at dt, he doesn't need the reps like the others. He'll get his when it's needed.

Suh is fine.

This.

I remember a certain rb 20 years ago that didn't really do voluntary camps every year. It's not really necessary. We don't have games for another 4+ months.

If anything, the Lions need more depth at dt, he doesn't need the reps like the others. He'll get his when it's needed.

But did Barry really want to BE here? I understand Sanders was one great talent (as is Suh) but the main issue is whether or not Suh wants to be here and is going to sign long term. Sanders clearly did NOT want to be in Detroit considering he retired a few years early because the Lions wouldn't trade him and while his relations with the city/state have improved considerably since he retired, if I recall correctly people were not happy with him very abruptly retiring and leaving the Lions in a tough spot. Suh seems to be doing many of the same things, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't have had an agent during the beginning parts of free agency. It can be assumed that the Lions WANT/WANTED to give him one of the richest defensive contracts in the history of the NFL...if Suh wanted to be here why wouldn't he have an agent in place knowing that the Lions want to resign him and get it done pre-free agency when it would have been mutually beneficial to the team and Suh as opposed to just Suh?

To the Suh apologists, what has he done that makes you so sure he wants to be here and sign long term? From my scorecard I have his sister/handler slamming the city, off-the-field issues within the city, playing games with his agent when we needed him to restructure to benefit the team, not being at voluntary work outs, etc. What is on the "Suh wants to be here" side of the card?

Who cares if Suh wants to be here or not. I don't want to be at work, but I do a good job because I get paid for it.

You are making many assumptions. The only information we can use to determine Suhs level of interest is how he plays when the games mean something. And since he was drafted that dude has shown up and played hard when the whistle blows and the huddles commence.

I haven't seen one Suh apologists on this site, but there are definitely some strong haters who will find any small nugget to try and smear Suh. It's not even May.

You are making many assumptions. The only information we can use to determine Suhs level of interest is how he plays when the games mean something. And since he was drafted that dude has shown up and played hard when the whistle blows and the huddles commence.

For me it comes down to Kevin Garnett syndrome. No matter how good Suh is and assuming he sucks it up and plays for pride even if he hates the team, the fans, the city, the whole ball of wax, none of that balances that team is handcuffing itself paying too much at a position that is not capable of returning the value on the field. In that sense it's still 'same old Lions'. The trademark of the Lions all through the WCF ownership was a fixation on single stars to the detriment of ever building a strong, balanced, winning, football team. The drama with Suh is just more of the same in that regard. In FB, QB is the only position on the field were I would ever want to see my team pay for the top guy at his position in the league.

Barry Sanders claimed he left early because he had no confidence in the Lions ability to compete for a championship (one can infer he had no confidence in the front office as well), and he didn't desire to play professional football anymore.

Can't say as that I can fault him for his thinking if that was the rationale.

I thought and think the outcry against his retirement was overstated at a minimum and ridiculous in some instances.

This isn't to say he oughtn't have handled it better. But I am the sort that believes even had he handled it better, the end result would have been exactly the same, so it boiled down to fans / press having hurt feelings.

For me it comes down to Kevin Garnett syndrome. No matter how good Suh is and assuming he sucks it up and plays for pride even if he hates the team, the fans, the city, the whole ball of wax, none of that balances that team is handcuffing itself paying too much at a position that is not capable of returning the value on the field. In that sense it's still 'same old Lions'. The trademark of the Lions all through the WCF ownership was a fixation on single stars to the detriment of ever building a strong, balanced, winning, football team. The drama with Suh is just more of the same in that regard. In FB, QB is the only position on the field were I would ever want to see my team pay for the top guy at his position in the league.

That's a rational position to take. After this year Suh can go get what he wants wherever, if that's the case, fine. But the problem is people are villifying him for such things as not hiring an agent, not coming to voluntary workouts and for the tornadoes in the midwest. Can't trade him because of the cap hit. I find it easy to pay no never mind to this scenario because most likely Suh will sign somewhere else. And if he is going to do so, and wanting to get the most money, I think he will be show casing himself this season.

His motivational level to compete should never come into question. But I tend to agree with you, after this season, I don't want to pay him what he will get either. Only because he is a DT.

...For me it comes down to Kevin Garnett syndrome...

Interesting comparison, as the TWolves have never been as good as when Garnett was there and Garnett immediately won an NBA title after leaving Minnesota.

Barry Sanders claimed he left early because he had no confidence in the Lions ability to compete for a championship (one can infer he had no confidence in the front office as well), and he didn't desire to play professional football anymore.

Can't say as that I can fault him for his thinking if that was the rationale.

I thought and think the outcry against his retirement was overstated at a minimum and ridiculous in some instances.

This isn't to say he oughtn't have handled it better. But I am the sort that believes even had he handled it better, the end result would have been exactly the same, so it boiled down to fans / press having hurt feelings.

And there are many cases of players, especially RBs retiring early. Curtis Martins speech for his HOF induction indicated just how little he cared to actually play football.

Who cares if Suh wants to be here or not. I don't want to be at work, but I do a good job because I get paid for it.

I haven't seen one Suh apologists on this site, but there are definitely some strong haters who will find any small nugget to try and smear Suh. It's not even May.

I could not possibly disagree more with everything you said here.

1) Your and I's job is NOTHING, and let me repeat for emphasis, NOTHING like a super star NFL player so comparing the two is beyond useless. Let me ask you this, in roughly a year and a half are you going to have corporations flying you around the U.S. trying to convince you that you should sign with th for $12M+ a year and not with some other organization for the same amount (or more)? If Suh isn't happy here he can sign with someone else and leave us high and dry with nothing more than (possibly) a third round comp pick.

2) His play on the field has absolutely, positively nothing to do with how he feels about the organization. Suh and all football players are looking out for themselves and their families. If Suh doesn't produce on the field because he is upset with the organization he hurts himself as much if not more than the organization. If he starts tanking and taking plays off how is that going to look during free agency? Suh knows he has other tes scouting him each an every sunday, you think he is goin to stop producing if he doesn't want to be here? That is nonsensical.

If Suh wanted to be here, I think he would be here. It doesn't se that complicated to me, and I dont feel I am making assumptions. He would be here with the team, he would be in constant contact with coaching and other team leaders and he would be trying to help the team in any way which would include him having an agents to sign here long term and try and make the team better in the process. He has done none of those things. So far the argument for him wanting to be here is "he will produce" and "Barry (who didnt want to be here) didnt show up to voluntary work outs either" those arent convincing in my opinion.

I could not possibly disagree more with everything you said here.

1) Your and I's job is NOTHING, and let me repeat for emphasis, NOTHING like a super star NFL player so comparing the two is beyond useless. Let me ask you this, in roughly a year and a half are you going to have corporations flying you around the U.S. trying to convince you that you should sign with th for $12M+ a year and not with some other organization for the same amount (or more)? If Suh isn't happy here he can sign with someone else and leave us high and dry with nothing more than (possibly) a third round comp pick.

And within the CBA Suh is well within his rights to leave us high and dry. What does he owe the Lions? Suh is competing for his next contract, it means a lot how he performs, just like you or I.

2) His play on the field has absolutely, positively nothing to do with how he feels about the organization. Suh and all football players are looking out for themselves and their families. If Suh doesn't produce on the field because he is upset with the organization he hurts himself as much if not more than the organization. If he starts tanking and taking plays off how is that going to look during free agency? Suh knows he has other tes scouting him each an every sunday, you think he is goin to stop producing if he doesn't want to be here? That is nonsensical.

So you do agree with, these are my thoughts....

If Suh wanted to be here, I think he would be here. It doesn't se that complicated to me, and I dont feel I am making assumptions. He would be here with the team, he would be in constant contact with coaching and other team leaders and he would be trying to help the team in any way which would include him having an agents to sign here long term and try and make the team better in the process. He has done none of those things. So far the argument for him wanting to be here is "he will produce" and "Barry (who didnt want to be here) didnt show up to voluntary work outs either" those arent convincing in my opinion.

When did I ever say Suh wants to be here? I also never spoke about Barry, you're confusing your arguments. Suh wants to dominate on the football field, he doesn't take plays off. That's all I care about. I don't care if he wants to be a Detroit Lion or a Harlem Globetrotter, as long as he plays hard. If he leaves next year and Lions get nothing, fine, I got no beef with that.

You seem to think Suh owes the Lions something, he doesn't.

My job is nothing like a professional athlete's, but I don't think a professional athlete necessarily owes more loyalty to his employer because he was drafted by them or is paid more than you or I owe our respective employers.

There is an option not available....he plays this season and IF they do really well he signs an extension....IF we blow balls again he plays the season and leaves.

I vote for that one.

Well... normally I'd say yes. But there are extenuating circumstances here.

First, this is a new coaching staff. In that sense it would be a good thing for him to be there.

Second, Suh has said he wants to be a leader. A leader shows up for these things.

Random, but I think it adds to the conversation.

Only 6 players in all of football rated higher than Suh last year on PFF