davidsb

04/21/2014: Detroit Tigers (Sanchez) vs Chicago White Sox (Danks) 7:08

Cabrera hit two long fly ball outs that covered about 800 feet and hit a hard ground ball up the middle that the Sox had played perfectly. He hit one lazy fly ball. I thought he looked better tonight. He'll start hitting eventually, although it is possible that it is partially injury related and that's causing the delay in him breaking out of it. Based on what what would be his expected performance to this point, it's probably cost our offense about 8 or 9 runs so far.

Tyler Collins says hi. He's 6 for 12 with 2 HR's and 6 RBI. He, Carrera and JD could probably take turns raking in Toledo and struggling with the Tigers. But it's nice to see him getting playing time and producing.

I think he's hitting the ball hard in relation the most players, but I think he's not hitting the ball as hard as he normally does.

Could be, but that still equates to him being unlucky.

Then could someone explain why the tigs lost this game?

Why bother to analyze anything. It's easier to just ramble a bunch of incoherent nonsense like "sanchez is a prick and in consistent", which I think actually means he's consistent but it's just easier to ignore grammar as well.

They also showed during the game that since last season Sanchez leads the league with something like 22 starts where he's held opponents to 2 runs or less. More inconsistency from that jerk.

They also showed during the game that since last season Sanchez leads the league with something like 22 starts where he's held opponents to 2 runs or less. More inconsistency from that jerk.

False. He's a prick.

Could be, but that still equates to him being unlucky.

He appears to be hitting more ground balls than before and grounding out at a significantly higher rate that before. Not sure how much luck is involved in that. Granted he would be hitting better if he were getting luckier, but there's no telling what his baseline is to tell how lucky/unlucky he is this season.

He's always been a somewhat undisciplined hitter who can crush any pitch. (Undisciplined doesn't feel like the right word, but I can't think of anything more appropriate. There have been several articles dedicated to his ability to hit pitches in his own batters box out if the park.) If he's missing that little bit extra then maybe that is the cause, not luck.

Of course, he was unlucky to get injured in the first place, so there is that.

Edited by sagnam

I don't think Cabrera is getting unlucky. His BA by trajectory is pretty close to normal...maybe he'd have an extra couple of hits with completely normal luck but the major difference is that he's hitting more groundballs and fewer flyballs, and fewer HRs per flyball at this moment. Instead of 1 HR for 12 flyballs he'd have 5 HRs for 18 flyballs. That difference doesn't seem like bad luck but a failure to elevate/power the ball.

I'm not worried yet but this doesn't seem like bad luck.

I don't think Cabrera is getting unlucky. His BA by trajectory is pretty close to normal...maybe he'd have an extra couple of hits with completely normal luck but the major difference is that he's hitting more groundballs and fewer flyballs, and fewer HRs per flyball at this moment. Instead of 1 HR for 12 flyballs he'd have 5 HRs for 18 flyballs. That difference doesn't seem like bad luck but a failure to elevate/power the ball.

I'm not worried yet but this doesn't seem like bad luck.

I'm really not trying to be nitpicky here. I really don't think you can get anything from HR/FB right now. He has 1 HR on 12 FB's. If just two of those fly balls were hit to the right part of the park and over the wall, it would bring his HR/FB up from 8.3% to 25%, right where he was the last two seasons (not to mention the ball doesn't carry well in April). And he'd still have a BABIP 50 points lower than the last few seasons. That seems like luck could be playing a pretty big part, IMO.

Then could someone explain why the tigs lost this game?

Without reading through the thread, I am going to go ahead and guess that someone suggested the loss is squarely on Sanchez' shoulders because he should'of thrown a shutout.

Also Ausmus probably gets consideration because he should'of pulled Sanchez before the 7th.

And Nabozny, too, because she should'of drawn a more fortuitous foul line in right field.

I'm really not trying to be nitpicky here. I really don't think you can get anything from HR/FB right now. He has 1 HR on 12 FB's. If just two of those fly balls were hit to the right part of the park and over the wall, it would bring his HR/FB up from 8.3% to 25%, right where he was the last two seasons (not to mention the ball doesn't carry well in April). And he'd still have a BABIP 50 points lower than the last few seasons. That seems like luck could be playing a pretty big part, IMO.

I appreciate what you're saying but it's not just the HR% it's the number of flyballs too. I realize we're only talking about a handful of flyballs and HRs in the grand scheme of things, but if my above hypothetical had been the case there would be little cause for discussion.

That having been said I have complete confidence that he'll pull out of it soon and be back to normal...but I don't think his hitting inputs have been normal to-date.

With Cabrera I have noticed a lot of hard hit fly balls to CF and right CF. By a lot I mean like 3 at fridays game and this game.

I don't think Cabrera's at bats have been that great. His last at bat was just a flyball the other way. If any other hitter did that, it wouldn't be hard hit. The 3-0 pitch he swung at was a ball. Granted he hit it deep, but he had a walk if he would've taken it.

I anoint you:

n4f4fbb7660c1f-png.5074

When Miguel scuffles, I think this is often the heart of it.

What's weird is, his pitches per PA this year are among the highest of his career. It just doesn't like he is seeing a lot of pitches. He's always been one to swing at pitches out of the zone.

What's weird is, his pitches per PA this year are among the highest of his career. It just doesn't like he is seeing a lot of pitches. He's always been one to swing at pitches out of the zone.

I don't think high PPAB is contradictory. They are throwing him fewer strikes, that increases pitch counts, and if he is less willing to take that 4th ball and walk so you get an OOZ swing. No necessary contradiction in higher pitch counts and more OOZ swings.

Anibal had a one-hitter through six innings then allowed some runs. He's not the problem. Sox hurler threw a good game for a change after having a 9.00 ERA against the Tigers for many previous outings. It happens.