davidsb

04/18/2014: Detroit Tigers (Smyly) vs Los Angeles Angels (Weaver) 7:08

Too much optimism about Smyly his whole career. He tailed off in effectiveness last year toward the end of the season despite only going 76 innings.

I agree with this. He may very well be a good starter, but his durability is very much unproven. He has not thrown a lot of innings at any level.

Is there any facet of the game that's not sponsored on the radio?

It's only a matter of time before Jim gives us "the DIA art of pitching".

That grantland article about dombrowski is false. I don't trust him. We have the worst bench in baseball. Horrible foresight.

Too much money paid to two players. Not enough left for the other 23 to field a competitive team.

Of course Smyly is unproven but I don't see where anyone is calling him a Cy young winner either. I don't think what optimism is there is midplaced or overblown.

Of course Smyly is unproven but I don't see where anyone is calling him a Cy young winner either. I don't think what optimism is there is midplaced or overblown.
I agree. It may have not have been midplaced.

Maybe it's just the same few posters over and over, but I've seen him referred to as a stud.

Too much money paid to two players. Not enough left for the other 23 to field a competitive team.

They still have over 100 million of payroll in addition to Cabrera and Verlander. Teams can be competitive with a 100 million payroll.

Maybe it's just the same few posters over and over, but I've seen him referred to as a stud.

Correct. And it's Dombrowski's "We had six starters so we traded one". We had a guy who started and won maybe four games a couple years ago.

Does Putkonen have options left? If so, he'll probably go down in a few days and they'll call up someone like Carerra.

Might as well have him throw as many innings as possible. Game is over anyway barring a miracle. Miller will pitch at some point too tonight.

They still have over 100 million of payroll in addition to Cabrera and Verlander. Teams can be competitive with a 100 million payroll.

You're right.

Nevermind, Putkonen can't get anyone else out. That's about as bad of an audition for a long man role as one can have.

so Fox+ ate my comcast cable box tonight. Hit 707, the screen goes black and the box stops responding to the remote completely. About 2 minutes later it my let you pick another station and it all comes back. But hit 707 and back into the black hole again.

Justin Miller for 5th starter. I'll say it now before he gives up 8 runs.

Does Putkonen have options left? If so, he'll probably go down in a few days and they'll call up someone like Carerra.

Might as well have him throw as many innings as possible. Game is over anyway barring a miracle. Miller will pitch at some point too tonight.

Good call. Carerra hitting .333 with 10 rbi and hit HR off former and future Indian Josh Tomlin tonight.

Is it mid or late October yet? It must be because the Tigers look dead.