Deleterious

Everything Monroe

Does anyone consider a trade of Greg Monroe for Ryan Anderson a good trade for the Pistons?

Not unless there are other pieces involved.

I understand the need to break up Drummond/Monroe/Smith. I would prefer to use Smith as trade bait and definitely do not want to see Drummond moved. But I understand Monroe probably has the better trade value of he and Smith. So while I would rather keep Monroe, I wouldn't think of him as untradeable.

Any fear of back problems in the future?

Modern day medicine, I don't have much concern. Plus we are only talking 3-4 years. Anderson fits this teams needs better than Monroe.

Modern day medicine, I don't have much concern. Plus we are only talking 3-4 years. Anderson fits this teams needs better than Monroe.

His outside shooting would fit the team, yes. I am not sure that the value is equal in that trade. Plus you still have 3 bigs for 2 spots unless you shoehorn Anderson or Smith back at SF. We saw how that worked last season. Maybe there is a way for Van Gundy to work that better, I don't know.

His outside shooting would fit the team, yes. I am not sure that the value is equal in that trade. Plus you still have 3 bigs for 2 spots unless you shoehorn Anderson or Smith back at SF. We saw how that worked last season. Maybe there is a way for Van Gundy to work that better, I don't know.

I can't imagine SVG rolls out 3 bigs just to get dominated on both sides of the ball like we watched all of last season. If he does...yikes. I can't anymore of what we watched last year, pick up hoops at best.

Not unless there are other pieces involved.

I understand the need to break up Drummond/Monroe/Smith. I would prefer to use Smith as trade bait and definitely do not want to see Drummond moved. But I understand Monroe probably has the better trade value of he and Smith. So while I would rather keep Monroe, I wouldn't think of him as untradeable.

Just IMO, I don't think we can look at the current roster without looking at Jennings, Monroe and Smith as anything but assets that will be used to obtain personnel congruent to SVG's Magic lineup. Monroe does not defend well enough to be our starting center, as to where Drummond is a better rebounder and has upside to be a top-3 defensive center. At this point, the staff has to bank on Drummond to keep developing because he is still so very young. To be fair, so is Monroe but his athletic ability limits his ceiling as to where we have seen moments of greatness--albeit brief ones--from Drummond defensively as a rim protector.

Smith appears to still have value around the league and SVG will probably get something useful for him, even if on the surface it may appear we don't get fair value.

I'd argue that Anderson fits alongside Drummond better than Monroe, especially if we add a penetrating, good pick n roll PG like Thomas (and trade Smith to do so). However, he doesn't have the value that Monroe has, so I would expect something more back. Maybe additional good player(s) or a pick.

THe problem is he best fits a team with Monroe on it.

I can't imagine SVG rolls out 3 bigs just to get dominated on both sides of the ball like we watched all of last season. If he does...yikes. I can't anymore of what we watched last year, pick up hoops at best.

I mean, this didn't happen much, people realize that right? Over half of Smith's minutes were played with only one of Monroe or Drummond on the floor. He sucked mostly at PF not SF last year.

Odd stuff. I don't see Monroe as a fit for them. Also, I'm not really interested in a 31 year old PF who's always hurt and doesn't have a last name.

Nene and Beal for Monroe sounds good to me!

Obvioulsy never going to happen. But, what about Nene + Otto Porter? Bullets re-sign Ariza for SF.

Obvioulsy never going to happen. But, what about Nene + Otto Porter? Bullets re-sign Ariza for SF.

I thought of that too,but I'd make them give me a future 1st in that deal. I know we aren't getting Beal, but I need more value than that. Its not like we particularly want or need Nene, so he's almost negative value in this scenario. Unless we flip him somewhere else.

ATL signs Thabo Sefolosia, takes 4 million off their capspace, out of a straight offer sheet attempt to Monroe.

Good for the Pistons, almost all of his potential suitors do not have the capspace and must do S&T.

So what do we do if no one is out there offering GM the max and he turns around and says give me the max or I sign the QO and leave as an UFA next year?

So what do we do if no one is out there offering GM the max and he turns around and says give me the max or I sign the QO and leave as an UFA next year?

If he really wants to be an UFA following next season, I assume he is free to reject all offers made, max or not? If he really wants out of Detroit, he would have to refuse any offer made as if he accepts a deal from another club and the Pistons match then it's at least 2 more yrs in Det. (depending on the offer)

If he signs the QO, you have a year to persuade him to sign a longer deal - or see how much better he gets?

If he really wants to be an UFA following next season, I assume he is free to reject all offers made, max or not? If he really wants out of Detroit, he would have to refuse any offer made as if he accepts a deal from another club and the Pistons match then it's at least 2 more yrs in Det. (depending on the offer)

If he signs the QO, you have a year to persuade him to sign a longer deal - or see how much better he gets?

You pretty much nailed it. The only other option I would add is they could try to trade him.

I mean, this didn't happen much, people realize that right? Over half of Smith's minutes were played with only one of Monroe or Drummond on the floor. He sucked mostly at PF not SF last year.

Basketball Ref had his splits at 57% SF 43% PF. Very dramatic splits compared to his previous two Hawks seasons which were 13SF/77PF/10C and 5/88/7.

Maybe Smith's best position is Center. Joking aside, it doesn't matter, Smith's athleticism has declined, which has caused his game to decline, and it will only decline more, and usually quickly with guys who can't shoot. You don't notice athletic decline as much with guys like David West.

Basketball Ref had his splits at 57% SF 43% PF. Very dramatic splits compared to his previous two Hawks seasons which were 13SF/77PF/10C and 5/88/7.

Maybe Smith's best position is Center. Joking aside, it doesn't matter, Smith's athleticism has declined, which has caused his game to decline, and it will only decline more, and usually quickly with guys who can't shoot. You don't notice athletic decline as much with guys like David West.

Help me out. Where do you find that info on Basketball Reference?

The weird thing with Smith is, and I was wrong assuming his at the rim FG% had declined, it hasn't. His last two seasons have been 77% (Atl) and this year 71%, both were higher than at any time in his career. No doubt aided by his % of shots taken at the rim being down the last 4 years. He also shot better from 10-22 feet (35%) than his career average (not Greg Monroe bad but not exactly a good %, the aforementioned West shot 52% from beyond 16 feet), what killed him was obviously the 44% of his shots coming from beyond 16 feet.

I happen to think that Smith's FG% at the rim will go down 10% if he took more shots there and less out from the perimeter, and taking more shots at the rim will also invite other bad stats, like a TO increase. It will also lead to more FT attempts, which I don't know if that is a good thing for Smith.

Anyways, the conclusion to be drawn is Smith is going to get worse. He took more jumpers last year in part because Cheeks wanted him to given his position and in part because he doesn't have the athleticism to shoot 55% of his total shots at the rim like he did in 2009-10.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Help me out. Where do you find that info on Basketball Reference?

It's under their new play by play section on each players page, right before you get to the playoff stats.

It's under their new play by play section on each players page, right before you get to the playoff stats.

Awesome, thanks.

G Monroe down at the summer league watching the Pistons rooks. Andre Drummond says Monroe loves Detroit and is doing his best recruiting pitch.

With this and a G Monroe tweet, I think something is already happened and he's going to be back with the Pistons, I think he has been assured Smith is a goner.

G Monroe down at the summer league watching the Pistons rooks. Andre Drummond says Monroe loves Detroit and is doing his best recruiting pitch.

With this and a G Monroe tweet, I think something is already happened and he's going to be back with the Pistons, I think he has been assured Smith is a goner.

Good to hear, now we just have to count the hours until it all leaks out.