Deleterious

Everything Monroe

Before or after LeBron signs with us?

I'm thinking its a 3 way sign and trade. Miami takes Bynum and Jerebko off our hands to make the salary work a little better.

In all seriousness, the only trade we could probably get done would be something like Monroe,Jerebeko and Bynum for Anderson and Gordon. Not sure what I'd say to that offer, or what they'd say. We aren't a great match for a trade. Even with Anderson, who I like, its a weird fit since it means you're likely keeping Smith. Can you play Smith/Anderson up front for 15-20 minutes a night?

I'm the wrong person to ask since I don't like Anderson that much.

Any particular reason? You don't like stretch 4s in general right? He was a pretty good defender under SVG, but not so much in NO. Probably in part because they start 2 PFs there.

Any particular reason? You don't like stretch 4s in general right? He was a pretty good defender under SVG, but not so much in NO. Probably in part because they start 2 PFs there.

Yeah, nothing against him or anything like that. I just prefer bigs that don't play so far from the basket. Just a style of play thing for me.

It all depends how SVG wants to play IMO. If he plans on playing Drummond like Howard, with 1 in and 4 out, Anderson makes a lot of sense.

It all depends how SVG wants to play IMO. If he plans on playing Drummond like Howard, with 1 in and 4 out, Anderson makes a lot of sense.

I agree. I am just not convinced he will go 1/4 like he did in Orlando. All those guys were on the roster already when SVG signed with Orlando. Well, Lewis signed a few weeks after SVG but I think the point still stands. He didn't necessarily go out of his way to implement that offense. He did it because it fit his personnel.

I agree. I am just not convinced he will go 1/4 like he did in Orlando. All those guys were on the roster already when SVG signed with Orlando. Well, Lewis signed a few weeks after SVG but I think the point still stands. He didn't necessarily go out of his way to implement that offense. He did it because it fit his personnel.

Completely on the same page here.

I'm a little torn on Ryan Anderson, as I think there are a lot of similar players out there who can be added to our roster cheaper (specifically, I suppose, Ryan Kelly). As Del said, SVG may not even want to replicate the old Magic roster but it is nice to know there are interested teams out there. If NO were to throw in Gordon and take Jennings could SVG really say no to that? Perhaps we throw in Jerebko to balance the books?

Then again, do we want to replace an injury-free 15/9 big with two guys who with two guys who combined to play 88 games last season?

I fully expect Smith to be moved, but then again I full expected Dumars to move Stuckey last season (as unfair as it is to project that onto SVG).

Can SVG make the team competitive this season while unloading 60% of the starting lineup, with no lottery pick on the way? If he does, it will certainly be impressive. We aren't used to impressive around here anymore, but then again, we did give SVG total power in hopes he would be the catalyst for such a turnaround.

While it's true that Anderson could help create a 1/4 scheme, he could also be useful in a 2 in 3 out scheme where we add a penetrating SG or SF alongside Drummond on the inside and then surround them with guys that can space the floor. I prefer that to a 1/4 scheme. Of course, right now we're a 5 in 0 out team :)

I don't mind Anderson, but would he come off the bench for Smith? As you said, it's a tough fit to make a trade with NO work for us. I would rather see us turn Monroe into a dynamic wing player or package him with Jennings to bring back a PG. Bringing back another PF doesn't really address the core issue of having 3 good big men and garbage surrounding them.

While it's true that Anderson could help create a 1/4 scheme, he could also be useful in a 2 in 3 out scheme where we add a penetrating SG or SF alongside Drummond on the inside and then surround them with guys that can space the floor. I prefer that to a 1/4 scheme. Of course, right now we're a 5 in 0 out team :)

I don't mind Anderson, but would he come off the bench for Smith? As you said, it's a tough fit to make a trade with NO work for us. I would rather see us turn Monroe into a dynamic wing player or package him with Jennings to bring back a PG. Bringing back another PF doesn't really address the core issue of having 3 good big men and garbage surrounding them.

Yup, good points all around.

I'm a little torn on Ryan Anderson, as I think there are a lot of similar players out there who can be added to our roster cheaper (specifically, I suppose, Ryan Kelly). As Del said, SVG may not even want to replicate the old Magic roster but it is nice to know there are interested teams out there. If NO were to throw in Gordon and take Jennings could SVG really say no to that? Perhaps we throw in Jerebko to balance the books?

Then again, do we want to replace an injury-free 15/9 big with two guys who with two guys who combined to play 88 games last season?

I fully expect Smith to be moved, but then again I full expected Dumars to move Stuckey last season (as unfair as it is to project that onto SVG).

Can SVG make the team competitive this season while unloading 60% of the starting lineup, with no lottery pick on the way? If he does, it will certainly be impressive. We aren't used to impressive around here anymore, but then again, we did give SVG total power in hopes he would be the catalyst for such a turnaround.

I think you're understating Anderson's talent considerably. Ryan Kelly?

Monroe per 36 - 16 and 10

Anderson per 36 - 18 and 8

Anderson also gives you 40% 3 point shooting from the PF spot. That's pretty rare. We have enough trouble finding a G who can hit 3s at that rate.

Anderson also gives you 40% 3 point shooting from the PF spot. That's pretty rare. We have enough trouble finding a G who can hit 3s at that rate.

Just for the sake of argument, Daye has shot over 40% from three twice and Harrelson shot 38.7% from three last season--finding shooting isn't that hard if you really put a premium on it. There are usually a few guys coming into the league with length and a good stroke, and off the top of my head Payne fits that bill nicely. There are others, no doubt, as that is just one example. It is clear that the Pistons did not put shooting at a premium under Dumars, as "versatility" was more important for whatever reason.

Living 90 minutes from Orlando, I've seen quite a bit of Anderson and I have always thought Kelly was a very similar talent. Both are stretch power forwards who can really, really shoot from downtown and both can rebound just enough to play man the position. Anderson won an MIP award, Kelly could do the same in the right system.

So please, don't say that I underestimate Anderson's talent--please say that I think Kelly's ceiling is too high. I love the guy's stroke, even if he does have a long shooting mechanism. His release point is high and repeatable--his three-point shooting will do nothing but get better as he adjusts to the speed of the pro game similar to KCP IMO.

Anderson missed time with a herniated disk last year. That kills any interest I had in him, which was very small to begin with.

You're also not losing much (if anything) defensively, because Monroe has been pretty poor defensively at PF.

But...

Anderson missed time with a herniated disk last year. That kills any interest I had in him, which was very small to begin with.

This scares the heck out of me. A big man with a bad back is a ticking time bomb. I didn't realize this was the issue and it really kills my interest in him as well.

Just for the sake of argument, Daye has shot over 40% from three twice and Harrelson shot 38.7% from three last season--finding shooting isn't that hard if you really put a premium on it. There are usually a few guys coming into the league with length and a good stroke, and off the top of my head Payne fits that bill nicely. There are others, no doubt, as that is just one example. It is clear that the Pistons did not put shooting at a premium under Dumars, as "versatility" was more important for whatever reason.

Living 90 minutes from Orlando, I've seen quite a bit of Anderson and I have always thought Kelly was a very similar talent. Both are stretch power forwards who can really, really shoot from downtown and both can rebound just enough to play man the position. Anderson won an MIP award, Kelly could do the same in the right system.

So please, don't say that I underestimate Anderson's talent--please say that I think Kelly's ceiling is too high. I love the guy's stroke, even if he does have a long shooting mechanism. His release point is high and repeatable--his three-point shooting will do nothing but get better as he adjusts to the speed of the pro game similar to KCP IMO.

Kelly might get there, that's not really what I have an issue with. I have an issue with you acting as if they are the same caliber of acquisition. One is a prospect with some upside, one is an established player with a 6 year track record.

and Anderson shoots a lot of 3s and scores a lot of points(20 ppg last year). I don't think you want to use terrible players like Daye and Harrelson as your examples here. Of course you can find other shooters, but that doesn't make Anderson a bad acquisition. We don't have a chance to get Payne, but if we got him, I'd be happy.

I don't have any issue initiating a trade with Monroe and Anderson as the starting point. They have to take Jennings though.

They have to take Jennings though.

I like how you think.

Moving Jennings is job #1 for this team.

Kelly might get there, that's not really what I have an issue with. I have an issue with you acting as if they are the same caliber of acquisition. One is a prospect with some upside, one is an established player with a 6 year track record.

and Anderson shoots a lot of 3s and scores a lot of points(20 ppg last year). I don't think you want to use terrible players like Daye and Harrelson as your examples here. Of course you can find other shooters, but that doesn't make Anderson a bad acquisition. We don't have a chance to get Payne, but if we got him, I'd be happy.

Sure Anderson scored just under 20 PTS last season, but he only played in 22 games and his bad back makes him more of a gamble than Kelly would be given Anderson makes considerably more money. It's a compelling argument: cheap player with upside v. more expensive established player coming off a bad injury.

Payne would be a nice get for sure, and anything could happen with all the potential trades SVG is (hopefully) working on.

I like how you think.

Moving Jennings is job #1 for this team.

Hard not to agree with this. Jennings needs the perfect environment/situation to reach his potential and he may have to hit rock-bottom before that happens.

I'd prefer a PG who plays better defense, but moving Jennings is not my first,second or third priority by any means this offseason.

I'd prefer a PG who plays better defense, but moving Jennings is not my first,second or third priority by any means this offseason.

I don't see how he couldn't even be a 3rd priority. Getting a PG that does anything a PG is supposed to do well is a rather top priority for the Pistons imo.

I don't see how he couldn't even be a 3rd priority. Getting a PG that does anything a PG is supposed to do well is a rather top priority for the Pistons imo.

I don't think Jennings is as bad there as others think. He has good handles, he gets penetration with ease and posted a 35% assist rate last year. I wouldn't say he does nothing a PG is supposed to do. He definitely has his flaws, which I'm not defending, but I feel we have bigger issues.

Top 3 priorities

1. Move Smith or get value for Monroe

2. Add impact FA starter, probably at SF. Hayward and Ariza are your main options there.

3. Add multiple role players who can shoot 3s at a high clip.

If we can manage to upgrade Jennings, I'd love it. Not seeing a lot of ways to do that though. Doubt you can get Lowry or Bledsoe. Not sure who else would be an upgrade out there.