Deleterious

Everything Monroe

Nobody is arguing the Pistons shouldn't explore trade options.

All that is being pointed out is that the current restricted free agency system really doesn't encourage sign and trades.

and I'm not arguing any of that.

I know Houston makes some players look better than they are much like Beilien does in Ann Arbor.

I don't know about this. I think Tim Hardaway Jr. actually showed more this season than he did when he was in Ann Arbor.

Yah, a max offer is basically the worst thing that can happen unless you have already decided you are moving on.

Yah, a max offer is basically the worst thing that can happen unless you have already decided you are moving on.

Well, not in this case, if the Pistons could have signed Monroe for the Max last year they could have saved 5 million dollars, 4 years Max on him last year was like 14.5 million/yr. Now he can get more with the cap raise.

Well, not in this case, if the Pistons could have signed Monroe for the Max last year they could have saved 5 million dollars, 4 years Max on him last year was like 14.5 million/yr. Now he can get more with the cap raise.

I'm not sure what point you are making here. Yes, it would have been better to sign him last year if you wanted to give him the max. What I'm saying is, you'd like to sign him for less, so ideally he signs a more reasonable offer sheet.

Pistons signing Monroe for a max contract and locking us into this crew for at least 3 more years is the worst of all outcomes in my opinion. I realize that not many share this opinion, but if a team offers him the max, then I give him a pat on the butt and wish him a good career. I'll take my 15M and spend it elsewhere, or use part of it to help absorb whatever junk contracts we wind up with to move Jennings and/or Smith. This team needs a new look from the ground up. If we wind up starting next season with only Drummond, Singler, and KCP returning from last year, I'll be ok with that.

It wouldn't have been better to sign him last year since extensions for his class don't start until next year. Max contracts are a percentage of the cap for the year they start. So no matter when he signed the dollar amount will be the same.

I know players like Cousins, Wall, and George had dollar amounts mentioned when they signed. But those were just estimates based on speculation of where the cap would be next year. No matter what, all of these guys will receive 25% (Possibly 30% for George) of next years salary cap.

At the end of the day, letting Monroe sign a max offer sheet is cheaper than the Pistons giving him the max.

A max deal from Detroit is 7.5% raises each year. A max from another team is only 4.5% raises each year.

That only comes out to about $460,000 a year. But over 4 years that is a difference of $1.84M.

Pistons signing Monroe for a max contract and locking us into this crew for at least 3 more years is the worst of all outcomes in my opinion. I realize that not many share this opinion, but if a team offers him the max, then I give him a pat on the butt and wish him a good career. I'll take my 15M and spend it elsewhere, or use part of it to help absorb whatever junk contracts we wind up with to move Jennings and/or Smith. This team needs a new look from the ground up. If we wind up starting next season with only Drummond, Singler, and KCP returning from last year, I'll be ok with that.

I just don't think we're in position to let talent walk, especially in a league where talent with size is so desirable and valuable. Figure the fit out

Its pretty rare that mid market teams "spend their 15 mil elsewhere", as there aren't a lot of options on the FA market and if they do, its guys like Smith and Jennings.

Trade the 8 pick for Parsons. Houston might like the idea of someone on a cheap contract for the next 4 years.

That's a great idea that I hadn't seen mentioned yet, but I don't think the Pistons are allowed to trade this year's pick. Can't go two years in a row without a first round pick, so they would have to pick one up for this year's draft or next year's draft somewhere.

That's a great idea that I hadn't seen mentioned yet, but I don't think the Pistons are allowed to trade this year's pick. Can't go two years in a row without a first round pick, so they would have to pick one up for this year's draft or next year's draft somewhere.

You're right, but there is a way around that.

Let Houston tell us who to pick and then make the trade after the draft. The rule is you can't trade the actual draft pick. Once you make the pick you are free to trade the player.

I think Parsons is a pipe dream, but I'd be all over it if offered.

It mostly hinges on if they land Carmelo or not. If they do then I think they move Parsons. Maybe not this summer since he is so cheap next year. But at the trade deadline since he will be looking at a pretty expensive extension. One they probably can't afford if they add Melo.

I wouldn't bet on Houston landing Melo, but who knows.

It wouldn't have been better to sign him last year since extensions for his class don't start until next year. Max contracts are a percentage of the cap for the year they start. So no matter when he signed the dollar amount will be the same.
It would have been better because had we signed him to a Max deal there's no way we sign Smith. I think the idea behind Smith was that worst case scenario was it didn't work having all 3 and we let Monroe go happy to have Smith. Unfortunately Smith is such a disaster that if this team moves forward with Smith rather than Monroe then this team is doomed.

It would have been better because had we signed him to a Max deal there's no way we sign Smith. I think the idea behind Smith was that worst case scenario was it didn't work having all 3 and we let Monroe go happy to have Smith. Unfortunately Smith is such a disaster that if this team moves forward with Smith rather than Monroe then this team is doomed.

I think they still sign Smith. It wasn't the first time Joe gave someone a huge contract without a place to really play him (BG).

It mostly hinges on if they land Carmelo or not. If they do then I think they move Parsons. Maybe not this summer since he is so cheap next year. But at the trade deadline since he will be looking at a pretty expensive extension. One they probably can't afford if they add Melo.

I wouldn't bet on Houston landing Melo, but who knows.

Yah, that would change things. He could also end up in a sign and trade for Melo though.

Yah, that would change things. He could also end up in a sign and trade for Melo though.

Doubtful. Parsons would be the only player on the Rockets that the Knicks would want probably. Asik and Lynn are both owed a ton of money next year, around $16M each, even though their cap # is $8M. I can't see the Knicks taking on that salary, but maybe.

This is basically why I don't think they can land Melo. Moving Asik and Lynn will be extremely hard since you have to find an owner that doesn't mind paying them each $16M next year.

Doubtful. Parsons would be the only player on the Rockets that the Knicks would want probably. Asik and Lynn are both owed a ton of money next year, around $16M each, even though their cap # is $8M. I can't see the Knicks taking on that salary, but maybe.

This is basically why I don't think they can land Melo. Moving Asik and Lynn will be extremely hard since you have to find an owner that doesn't mind paying them each $16M next year.

You really have to start spelling Lin right ;)

NY is the type of team I could see shelling out some extra money. Lin and Asik have only one year left, so it doesn't ruin their 2015 cap situation and landing Parsons might make it worth it. Especially if you can get a 1st and Montejiunas thrown in, or something like that. Plus then you can attempt to trade Chandler for value if you so choose. IMO you just look at it as spending 10-12 mil on Parsons and 4-6 mil on Asik instead of 1 mil for Parsons and 16 for Asik. You can probably get 3 mil out of them too.

You really have to start spelling Lin right ;)

NY is the type of team I could see shelling out some extra money. Lin and Asik have only one year left, so it doesn't ruin their 2015 cap situation and landing Parsons might make it worth it. Especially if you can get a 1st and Montejiunas thrown in, or something like that. Plus then you can attempt to trade Chandler for value if you so choose. IMO you just look at it as spending 10-12 mil on Parsons and 4-6 mil on Asik instead of 1 mil for Parsons and 16 for Asik. You can probably get 3 mil out of them too.

Those numbers are disgusting and you still haven't counted the $16M owed Lin.

Melo is going to Chicago over Houston, I mean have you seen Chicago's North Side? Houston can't compare.

Well the south side of Chicago

Is the baddest part of town

And if you go down there

You better just beware