Deleterious

Everything Monroe

Producing at a high efficiency when given a chance at more volume is not a strike against you IMO. Also one was a first option, the other was a 4th. I doubt Meeks or Matthews' production changes a bit if they swap teams last year.

I mean, I'm ok with giving him a little credit for being part of a winning team, but twice the money seems like quite a bit, especially when some bitched that Meeks was overpaid at 6.

How did Meeks do in the playoffs last year?

Huh? Did I fail to admit that he was on a losing team or something? I don't understand your point. How many more open shots did Matthews see due to LA and Lillard? Its not like Meeks was MCW, putting up stats at a terrible efficiency rate.

You have introduced a very bizarre system for deciding player value here. That's all I"m saying. Teams who overpay for role players off good teams usually end up regretting it. Again, I understand a bonus in pay for having played on a winning team,but is it really 100%? Does this apply to other player groupings or only Meeks and Matthews?

Matthew's production was basically the exact same when they won 33 games the year before fwiw.

Huh? Did I fail to admit that he was on a losing team or something? I don't understand your point. How many more open shots did Matthews see due to LA and Lillard? Its not like Meeks was MCW, putting up stats at a terrible efficiency rate.

You have introduced a very bizarre system for deciding player value here. That's all I"m saying. Teams who overpay for role players off good teams usually end up regretting it. Again, I understand a bonus in pay for having played on a winning team,but is it really 100%? Does this apply to other player groupings or only Meeks and Matthews?

Matthew's production was basically the exact same when they won 33 games the year before fwiw.

Wait what? Wanting a player to have actually done something is an odd system to evaluate them?

Oh no, here is where you fall in love with Matthews. Double the win shares and almost double the ws/48 for last year over Meeks.

Wait what? Wanting a player to have actually done something is an odd system to evaluate them?

That's what you got out of that? Ok, I give up. Matthews is God, I only care about WS and all players on teams with sub .500 records suck horribly.

I can't wait til the season starts so we have something better to argue about than if Matthews is worth 2xUSD over Meeks.

Better yet, I hope KCP does his best Eddie Jones impersonation and sends Meeks to the bench as 3rd guard--so we can say Del is right (sorry Nastradamus) about Meeks and T&P_Fan was wrong about KCP being a terrible shooting SG who can't get his own shot (with all apologies to T&P).

I keep on telling myself we won't suck this year, but I think I may be lying.

Because I'm petty, I need the record to show me saying there is zero chance Matthews gets 10-12 mil per. Ariza money is likely his ceiling.

I can't wait til the season starts so we have something better to argue about than if Matthews is worth 2xUSD over Meeks.

Better yet, I hope KCP does his best Eddie Jones impersonation and sends Meeks to the bench as 3rd guard--so we can say Del is right (sorry Nastradamus) about Meeks and T&P_Fan was wrong about KCP being a terrible shooting SG who can't get his own shot (with all apologies to T&P).

I keep on telling myself we won't suck this year, but I think I may be lying.

If we are putting things on the record, make it be known that I have very high hopes for KCP this year after he completely dominated summer league.

Are you saying it isn't the most intriguing NBA topic you can think of? ;)

It is absolutely a worthy topic.

I think I just get a little cranky after each blown Joe Nathan save, sorry.

If we are putting things on the record, make it be known that I have very high hopes for KCP this year after he completely dominated summer league.

I too welcome an extended encore performance by KCP, a two-way perimeter player it can lean on for extended periods of time would be huge.

countdown to someone accusing you of racism in 3....2...1...

It is totally racist that Del is suggesting that Serbs can't kickbox ?

Greg Monroe points to Pistons' instability as reason for signing 1-year qualifying offer

It's no disrespect to the people working here but it was just tough for me to agree to another four years with new people. Honestly, if you were to ask the average person would they do that in the arena they're in, they'd say no.

I can't speak for everybody but in my case, when talking about leaving Detroit, it was the team specifically. I have no problem with the city, or the fans or the people. I don't have a problem with anyone here. I've been received with open arms. People have always shown me love. Fans, they've stuck with us through tough times.

More at the link

The NBA will announce their new TV deal with ESPN and TNT later today. That probably means Monroe will make up any money he lost this year by signing the QO, and probably actually come out ahead.

He is making $5.5M this year. If he had signed for 20% of the cap ($63M) this year that would have been $12.6M. So he is losing $7.1M by signing the QO.

If as expected they inject half of the new TV deal money into the cap next summer, it is expected to rise by about $10M. So if Monroe signs for 20% of the cap on a $73M cap he would be making $14.6M. So he should have made his money back in year 4.

Totally made sense for Monroe to sign the QO.

I assume he will be the guy coming off the bench though.

The QO made zero sense. Unless he takes a huge jump in production he is essentially going to make the same amount of money. This might land him an extra $2-$4M more over the lifetime of his contract. But it comes with massive amounts of risk. Massive amounts of risk should only be taken on if their is a massive payday at the end, and there simply isn't here.

It sounds like Monroe let emotions come into a business decision. That is never a good thing. Of course we are talking about someone who urinated on himself during the booking process. So maybe good decisions aren't his forte.

The QO made zero sense. Unless he takes a huge jump in production he is essentially going to make the same amount of money. This might land him an extra $2-$4M more over the lifetime of his contract. But it comes with massive amounts of risk. Massive amounts of risk should only be taken on if their is a massive payday at the end, and there simply isn't here.

It made all the sense in the world. Like you have done since the beginning, you continue to underestimate how important it is to control where and how you go.

He is going to get paid no matter what, he did what I would have done, the difference in a couple of million isn't worth not being able to choose where you go.

Edited by T&P_Fan

/QUOTE]

It made all the sense in the world. Like you have done since the beginning, you continue to underestimate how important it is to control where and how you go.

He is going to get paid no matter what, he did what I would have done, the difference in a couple of million isn't worth not being able to choose where you go.

Yeah, that is stupid.

If you want control, sign a 3 year deal and leave like Love did. You are only here an extra 2 years and you risked nothing.

And you are still viewing this completely wrong. He isn't risking a few million, he is risking $60 million, or whatever the Pistons offered. What if he pulls a Jay Williams and has a career ending injury off the court? No money. What if come April he pulls a Paul George? Nobody signs him next summer and he loses $12-$14M next year.

I wont even get into the new coaching staff, the possibility he only plays 25-28 mins a game, etc.

I wont get into the fact that next summer has the possibility to be pretty loaded for FA bigs. Bigs who are better than Monroe and will lower his value.

I don't want to see a guy get hurt or regress. But I'm gonna laugh if he does get hurt and doesn't get paid. Or if he regresses and has to sign some 5/$40M type deal.

I have to imagine he has an insurance policy for injuries and the like. That isn't an issue.

I think Monroe is bearing a substantial risk, insurance policy or not.

Which tells me he values getting off of the Pistons long-term more than the risk downside.

Probably wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm not in his shoes either.