Deleterious

Everything Monroe

If Monroe has value, then I guess a sign and trade might not be that out of the question. Someone will try to sign him to an offer sheet.

I like Monroe. In a vacuum, I keep him and pay the 12-14 mil per year. We aren't living in a vacuum though. We have Josh Smith on this roster for 3 more years at 14M+ per year along with another guy who can't shoot outside of 5 feet in Andre Drummond. I just don't see it making sense unless you're telling me that the next coach thinks Josh Smith can become 6 man of the year without imploding the team in the process or the new GM has a deal up his sleeve to move him.

I hate that Joe has put me in the position of wanting to get rid of a player I like because of the Smith contract, but that's what has happened.

Also, is it killing anyone else that Teague is going off and we didn't even try to sign him to an offer sheet when he stayed with ATL for roughly what we paid Jennings?

Also, is it killing anyone else that Teague is going off and we didn't even try to sign him to an offer sheet when he stayed with ATL for roughly what we paid Jennings?

Yes.

I figured you'd be the other person on this board stewing about that. You and I were both all over the Teague idea in the off-season.

If Monroe has value, then I guess a sign and trade might not be that out of the question. Someone will try to sign him to an offer sheet.

I like Monroe. In a vacuum, I keep him and pay the 12-14 mil per year. We aren't living in a vacuum though. We have Josh Smith on this roster for 3 more years at 14M+ per year along with another guy who can't shoot outside of 5 feet in Andre Drummond. I just don't see it making sense unless you're telling me that the next coach thinks Josh Smith can become 6 man of the year without imploding the team in the process or the new GM has a deal up his sleeve to move him.

I hate that Joe has put me in the position of wanting to get rid of a player I like because of the Smith contract, but that's what has happened.

Him having or not having value isn't what determines the ease of a S&T.

I would say teams with cap space to sign him to an offer sheet are the worst possibility for a S&T. They have the cap space to sign him, so why do a S&T? If they want to, its probably to try and dump some crap on you. They probably aren't giving up valuable players since they have no need to.

Best bet for one is a team with no cap space. Without the space to sign him they would be motivated to put together a better package. And obviously a S&T is the only way to get him if they want him since they don't have the cap space.

I figured you'd be the other person on this board stewing about that. You and I were both all over the Teague idea in the off-season.

Me too. Both guys Atlanta signed, Teague and Milsap, were my biggest targets last offseason along with Martell Webster. I also admit that I wanted Jennings and at the least rationalized Smith though.

Monroe for Kevin Love! I'll throw in Jerebko and Bynum

Only in my dreams could we pair Love and Drummond on the Pistons.

Interesting thoughts: Biggest Needs for Detroit Pistons During 2014 Offseason | Bleacher Report

If Indy truly can't afford to keep Stephenson and they continue to have issues in the playoffs, I'd love to see us swoop in and make him a solid offer. Sounds like the general feeling is that he'll command 4/40. I'm ok with that. We also need to add some role players with defensive, "go after it" mindsets. I like the Sefolosha idea. I also like Hinrich. We've got to change the locker room mindset on this team with some key role players. Then you add Hollins to coach and you have an opportunity to change the identity of this franchise.

To bring it back around to the Monroe question, if it was possible to move Monroe in a deal that brings back Stephenson + Sefolosha I would do it in a second since we're stuck with Smith. I think that "psuedo-trade" immediately makes us a better team. That tells me that I'd be ok with us letting Monroe walk and using that money elsewhere rather than stacking up on big men that don't play well together or play the same position.

I understand that based upon cap projections we can probably do both of these things, but I feel that there are other players that fit better with Smith/Drummond than Monroe does. Can you imagine adding Deng and Stephenson to Smith and Drummond, with Sefolosha and Hinrich coming off your bench? You might actually have a team that can still play great defense despite Brandon Jennings (that is, if you don't manage to make a move at PG as well...that would be icing on the cake). Obviosly, I haven't evaluated all of the options available this offseason so there may be better ideas out there, but I think you get the point of my argument here.

Again, if we find some magical GM that can trade Smith, then that would certainly alter my strategy. I just don't think it'll happen. I think it'll be easier to change the team around Smith/Drummond this off-season. If you bring back all three of them next season then you've handcuffed yourself for the next 3 years to an idea that failed miserably this year.

Hire a GM who uses analytic's and then a coach who doesn't? Not sure that is a good idea.

Not a fan of their draft strategy either. Almost always go BPA in the draft.

I'm off the Stephenson bandwagon. He is a grade A knucklehead and we are all full up on knuckleheads here.

Honestly, if a new GM can't ship Smith out, we need a new GM.

Hire a GM who uses analytic's and then a coach who doesn't? Not sure that is a good idea.

I'm off the Stephenson bandwagon. He is a grade A knucklehead and we are all full up on knuckleheads here.

Agreed. He is certainly talented but also seems like a headcase so i would steer clear of him. I also have a feeling that his play will trail off away from the cozy confines of a really good supporting cast.

I'd like the Pistons to make a run at Chandler Parsons. Seems like a good team guy, can shoot the heck out of the ball and he can also drive to the hoop and get the ball over big defenders due to his size and athleticism. Not a great defender though.

No Lance Stephenson. We have too many selfish one on one players on this team already. And he is a meltdown waiting to happen.

I am not a huge fan of the Drummond-Monroe combo but I also do not how we can afford to to let a solid 23 year old post player walk unless another team drastically overpays for him. We just have to hope he signs a reasonable contract offer with another team that we match. Maybe we can work it out to trade him at some point. But on a team starving for young assets and down a draft pick in one of the next two drafts, we need to bring him back.

I'm torn on Stephenson--love the talent, hate the attitude. Can't see him coexisting with Jennings/Smith, but do we even want him if we ship those two out? Would it, in a way, be self-defeating to bring in another diva?

The new GM needs to make a plan and stick with it. Joe's plan was to bring in a bunch of good character guys for a few years, only to give way to desperation and sign two headcases in his last year.

I'm with NYLion on Parsons--get him on our roster, priority 1. With Houstons cap issues, they may decide Parsons will be too expensive.

Parsons will make less than a million next year. Why would houston trade that? Much more likely that if they miss out on carmelo and are looking to make a move for a pf that they trade asik.

Parsons will make less than a million next year. Why would houston trade that? Much more likely that if they miss out on carmelo and are looking to make a move for a pf that they trade asik.

They would be trading him now and getting value for him instead of being forced to match a big offer the year after that.

Asik is only on the books for next year. So Parsons could slip into his salary spot. Lynn is only on the books for next year too and I think keeping Parsons is a better idea than keeping Lynn. Harden has the ball in his hands a lot anyway.

Might hurt for next year from a salary standpoint. But after that they should be fine.

I would say teams with cap space to sign him to an offer sheet are the worst possibility for a S&T. They have the cap space to sign him, so why do a S&T? If they want to, its probably to try and dump some crap on you. They probably aren't giving up valuable players since they have no need to.

Best bet for one is a team with no cap space. Without the space to sign him they would be motivated to put together a better package. And obviously a S&T is the only way to get him if they want him since they don't have the cap space.

Not always about a team clearing cap space in a S&T. The Pistons leverage it by saying, "either work out a S&T with us or we'll just match the offer sheet." Other team then has to choose if they want to offer enough of value to persuade the Pistons to not match the offer.

Not always about a team clearing cap space in a S&T. The Pistons leverage it by saying, "either work out a S&T with us or we'll just match the offer sheet." Other team then has to choose if they want to offer enough of value to persuade the Pistons to not match the offer.

If a team came to me saying this, I would be extremely comfortable with my position. 3 days isn't long to act and now you just ate up more of your salary cap than you wanted on a player you didn't really want. And now you can't trade him for one year without his consent.

Anytime you go into restricted free agency you have to imagine the other team will match. Unless you are willing to grossly overpay for a player.

Not only that, but one would think any team with both open cap space and wants Monroe enough to do a S&T involving quality players back to the Pistons would have just made an agreeable trade proposal at the trade deadline a few months ago rather than risk that they lose out bidding on Monroe's services.

Not only that, but one would think any team with both open cap space and wants Monroe enough to do a S&T involving quality players back to the Pistons would have just made an agreeable trade proposal at the trade deadline a few months ago rather than risk that they lose out bidding on Monroe's services.

That too. A trade puts that team in control and able to match any offer he would receive. So they are guaranteed to have him next year.

Asik is only on the books for next year. So Parsons could slip into his salary spot. Lynn is only on the books for next year too and I think keeping Parsons is a better idea than keeping Lynn. Harden has the ball in his hands a lot anyway.

Might hurt for next year from a salary standpoint. But after that they should be fine.

I would definitely figure out a way keep Parsons if I were the Rockets/Morley, but you never know with them. Lin doesn't seen to fit in well in Houston, heard a lot of talk about the Lakers going after him if Dantoni has his way.

Harden is definitely ball-dominant and he's capable in that role, but his perimeter defense has slid into Jennings territory.

Asik is a beast on the boards, he definitely rebounded nice from that prolonged rest.

Trade the 8 pick for Parsons. Houston might like the idea of someone on a cheap contract for the next 4 years.

I would definitely figure out a way keep Parsons if I were the Rockets/Morley, but you never know with them. Lin doesn't seen to fit in well in Houston, heard a lot of talk about the Lakers going after him if Dantoni has his way.

Harden is definitely ball-dominant and he's capable in that role, but his perimeter defense has slid into Jennings territory.

Asik is a beast on the boards, he definitely rebounded nice from that prolonged rest.

Is Parsons Parsons without being Houston? I honestly don't know. Is he Parsons in a ****** offensive scheme that Gores is no doubt knee deep in establishing as we speak? I honestly don't know, I know Houston makes some players look better than they are much like Beilien does in Ann Arbor.

And the fact that Houston does it with different coaches shows how effective at establishing a culture Morey and the Owner are. Gores is going to bumble and stumble into some faded name guy he thinks will bring some heat and pub to his team.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

No question they keep Parsons over Lin.