Deleterious

Everything Monroe

Do you hate basketball? Do you hate being adored by men and women alike? Do you hate special treatment? Because I don't know why you would retire from a professional basketball career at 28 when someone would be willing to pay you millions of dollars a year to do it. Not exactly the grind of a 9-5

Often worse than a 9-5 grind. Those people who adore you? Just as many hate you. The special treatment? You also get stalkers and hangers-on who bug you for money and hook-ups and proposals for businesses. You make millions, but family and friends will be after you for millions. You don't work 9-5, but you travels for months away from your family and friends, and put your body through hell.

Often worse than a 9-5 grind. Those people who adore you? Just as many hate you. The special treatment? You also get stalkers and hangers-on who bug you for money and hook-ups and proposals for businesses. You make millions, but family and friends will be after you for millions. You don't work 9-5, but you travels for months away from your family and friends, and put your body through hell.

Making millions of dollars playing a game is worse than sitting at a desk making just enough to get by? What world do you live in?

Must be why so many retire early, they cant stand the pressure of all those groupies.

Making millions of dollars playing a game is worse than sitting at a desk making just enough to get by? What world do you live in?

Must be why so many retire early, they cant stand the pressure of all those groupies.

Not everyone makes millions. And they aren't just playing a game, they work extremely hard and have a lot of pressure on them. Their careers are also very short.

No one mentioned "just getting by". You brought that in out of nowhere. Of course I would rather be a millionaire than be broke. Just saying the life of a professional ball player is not easy, and it too can be a "grind".

Money isn't everything to everybody, Buddha. It isn't always criminal when guys stay in college an extra year or--gasp--get their degrees. There are plenty of great athletes out there who just aren't wired the way you need to be to be an effective pro athlete. Just like there are plenty of lawyers out there--who are very talented--who aren't wired to be effective in that realm . . . and so on, and so on. I see this in the poker world plenty--guys who can outplay just about anybody over a stretch of time but can't hack the everyday grind (or their personal demons).

Life happens and all these athletes aren't blessed with being able to operate at near max capacity for 10-15 years, 80 games per year. We shouldn't necessarily feel sorry for the ones who can't put together a Duncan-like career with the tools to do it, but it helps to understand that the NBA isn't a video game, either.

Not everyone makes millions. And they aren't just playing a game, they work extremely hard and have a lot of pressure on them. Their careers are also very short.

No one mentioned "just getting by". You brought that in out of nowhere. Of course I would rather be a millionaire than be broke. Just saying the life of a professional ball player is not easy, and it too can be a "grind".

everyone's life is a grind in many ways and 99% of them will never make what even the lowest paid nba player will make to play a game.

And almost everyone is just getting by. I didnt say broke, you brought that into the conversation.

nba players lead fairytale lives. Do they work hard? Most do. Do they have stress? Most do.

But so do you and I and we dont get paid nearly as much as the benchwarmer like tony mitchell.

give me a break with the sympathy bs.

.......Just saying the life of a professional ball player is not easy, and it too can be a "grind".

Please tell us you are joking.

everyone's life is a grind in many ways and 99% of them will never make what even the lowest paid nba player will make to play a game.

And almost everyone is just getting by. I didnt say broke, you brought that into the conversation.

nba players lead fairytale lives. Do they work hard? Most do. Do they have stress? Most do.

But so do you and I and we dont get paid nearly as much as the benchwarmer like tony mitchell.

Do you know any professional athletes? Most don't live fairytale lives. I know a couple guys that played in the NBA for a few years then bounced around internationally. They are now in their late 20s, with no future basketball opportunities. They suffered some injuries and didn't get those big NBA contracts. Now what do they have on their resume? If they are lucky a college degree in communications and years of bouncing around playing basketball. Along with it they have people who think they should be living the dream life because they played ball.

Then think about a guy like Lebron. He has 0 privacy. He has millions of people analyzing his every move. He has people who rely on his income to survive. Sure, he has millions and does what he loves for a living. But it is certainly not easy.

Do you know any professional athletes? Most don't live fairytale lives. I know a couple guys that played in the NBA for a few years then bounced around internationally. They are now in their late 20s, with no future basketball opportunities. They suffered some injuries and didn't get those big NBA contracts. Now what do they have on their resume? If they are lucky a college degree in communications and years of bouncing around playing basketball. Along with it they have people who think they should be living the dream life because they played ball.

Then think about a guy like Lebron. He has 0 privacy. He has millions of people analyzing his every move. He has people who rely on his income to survive. Sure, he has millions and does what he loves for a living. But it is certainly not easy.

Please. I know people who bounce around too without ever having a sniff of a free education let alone a year or two of NBA minimum salaries. And James? Maybe he should have thought twice about that Samsung app...just for starters.

Edited by Truth

Maybe, but the stress to money ratio is incredibly low.

Other than President, I can't think of a job where people feel so comfortable totally running you into the ground on a daily basis whle shitting on your name.

Please. I know people who bounce around too without ever having a sniff of a free education let alone a year or two of NBA minimum salaries. And James? Maybe he should have thought twice about that app or any number of the other endorsements.

Please. I know people who bounce around too without ever having a sniff of a free education let alone a year or two of NBA minimum salaries. And James? Maybe he should have thought twice about that Samsung app...just for starters.

The ole "you make lots of money for being one of the top 500 in your profession in the entire world so me and 1,000's of others can criticize your every move every day" argument. Dude, it is way more stressful than almost every other job on the planet.

You're really stretching it with Lebron. I guarantee you he'll never leave his job due to unhappiness, which is at least some possibility for about 90+% of the population at any given time.

as for your friends, they should have made a pretty decent amount of money in a short time. Go back to school, start a business, take the time to work yourself up somewhere. Don't tell me they have no options. Some cash in your pocket and a degree, even in communications, puts you ahead of a large chunk of the field.

This is truly one of the most insane arguments I've ever seen. Being a professional athlete is an amazing job that is preferable to almost any other. There are ways to live your life that can limit the negative impact of fame if you choose it. Do you think that tayshaun prince has any of the problems you're referring to? 75% or more of the league lives a charmed life, with a few like LeBron having some more stressful issues that are MORE THAN made up for by all the huge benefits that come with being the best player in the world.

Wait. You think that the life of a professional athlete is fairytale and is all sunshine and lollipops?

You know, just because somebody makes absurd amounts of money to play a game, that doesn't mean that their life is a joyride.

Sure, there are perks with being adored by millions of fans, being rich, living a glamourous lifestyle and having tons of women throwing themselves at you but there are also tons of predators looking to scam you out of money (financial advisors, women, even family members and friends), fans who give you a hard time (yes, athletes have feelings too), you have little privacy with the media, paparazzi etc. always hounding you and your family when you do actually have time for them and you also spend much of the year away from your loved ones.

Of course it depends on the type of life that the athlete chooses to live but you can't honestly believe that they lead these near perfect lives with minimal stress.

To be honest, i'd rather make an average living to the point of being financial secure enough to not have to live paycheck to paycheck and be just an average Joe than deal with all the stress that fame would bring. Then again, i'm not materialistic and couldn't care less about being rich and having all the luxuries that it would bring. I'm quite fine living my fairly average life and working my 9-5 office job in which i make a pretty decent living but to each their own.

However, i do agree that athletes don't deserve sympathy. They choose to live this life and it could certainly be a helluva lot worse but it's not an easy life to live.

Edited by NYLion

Wait. You think that the life of a professional athlete is fairytale and is all sunshine and lollipops?

You know, just because somebody makes absurd amounts of money to play a game, that doesn't mean that their life is a joyride.

Sure, there are perks with being adored by millions of fans, being rich, living a glamourous lifestyle and having tons of women throwing themselves at you but there are also tons of predators looking to scam you out of money (financial advisors, women, even family members and friends), fans who give you a hard time (yes, athletes have feelings too), you have little privacy with the media, paparazzi etc. always hounding you and your family when you do actually have time for them and you also spend much of the year away from your loved ones.

Of course it depends on the type of life that the athlete chooses to live but you can't honestly believe that they lead these near perfect lives with minimal stress.

To be honest, i'd rather make an average living to the point of being financial secure enough to not have to live paycheck to paycheck and be just an average Joe than deal with all the stress that fame would bring. Then again, i'm not materialistic and couldn't care less about being rich and having all the luxuries that it would bring. I'm quite fine living my fairly average life and working my 9-5 office job in which i make a pretty decent living but to each their own.

However, i do agree that athletes don't deserve sympathy. They choose to live this life and it could certainly be a helluva lot worse but it's not an easy life to live.

This. These guys work their butts off year 'round, spend their lives dedicating themselves to the very slight chance they make it pro, then fight like hell to keep their jobs. It isn't a fairytale. I am not saying their lives suck, but it is not easy thing.

I ran into Rip Hamilton at a restaurant years ago. He was with his wife and son. No less than a dozen people interrupted his dinner with his family to take pictures and interrupt his family time. Sure, that isn't the end of the world. But it is annoying as hell when you can't even eat dinner without people taking pictures of you and annoying your family.

I'm not an NBA player and guess what...I have people trying to scam me out of money, people who give me a hard time, and as far as the "paparazzi" only abour 5% of NBA players have to worry about being followed by the media. No one is following KCP around. No one is hounding Josh Harrelson's family. Everybody who has a job works their butts off year round. NBA players do it by PLAYING A GAME. Their version of working their butts off is doing what you and I do in our very limited leisure time. Just to give you an example of how different that is from what you and I do for a living, they will use their leisure time to go play a pick-up game with their friends just for fun. Do you do your job during your leisure time?

I'm not an NBA player and guess what...I have people trying to scam me out of money, people who give me a hard time, and as far as the "paparazzi" only abour 5% of NBA players have to worry about being followed by the media. No one is following KCP around. No one is hounding Josh Harrelson's family. Everybody who has a job works their butts off year round. NBA players do it by PLAYING A GAME. Their version of working their butts off is doing what you and I do in our very limited leisure time. Just to give you an example of how different that is from what you and I do for a living, they will use their leisure time to go play a pick-up game with their friends just for fun. Do you do your job during your leisure time?

this. Enough with the sob stories about pro athletes. Everyone has troubles in life.

the average yearly salary in america is how much? And what is the rookie minimum in the nba? Yeah. Thought so.

this. Enough with the sob stories about pro athletes. Everyone has troubles in life.

the average yearly salary in america is how much? And what is the rookie minimum in the nba? Yeah. Thought so.

You seem to think that more money=happiness but i can't say that i'm surprised that you think this based on the Marcus Smart discussion.

I think the whole point is that everybody has troubles in life including millionaire athletes.

There are varying levels of "troubles" but make no mistake, not everything is smooth sailing for these guys. It's a good life to have (better than most) but there are certainly plenty of stresses that come along with it.

However and I'll say it again. I don't feel any sympathy for them whatsoever.

Speaking from experience, having women constantly throwing themselves at you isn't all it's cracked up to be.

You seem to think that more money=happiness but i can't say that i'm surprised that you think this based on the Marcus Smart discussion.

I think the whole point is that everybody has troubles in life including millionaire athletes.

There are varying levels of "troubles" but make no mistake, not everything is smooth sailing for these guys. It's a good life to have (better than most) but there are certainly plenty of stresses that come along with it.

However and I'll say it again. I don't feel any sympathy for them whatsoever.

more money = the ability to do many many more things with your life. Happiness comes from within, but more money makes it easier to be happy because it relieves the stress of worrying about your financial future.

many of these guys arent too bright and end up throwing their money away, bit having it gives you a chance that 99.8% of the planet never had.

I have two friends who are retired professional athletes, and based on my conversations with them, neither viewed playing professional games to be particularly fun, though they both loved their sport. They both really enjoyed their teammates and have some funny stories about playing, so it wasn't working in a salt mine either.

Neither made the highest level of their sport - perhaps it is fun to dominate the game in a way that LeBron does, but for them their career largely consisted of hanging on for their professional lives and were merely trying to improve enough just to get the cup of coffee to justify the investment of time that was their career up until that point in time.

In any event, I don't know if playing a pick up game bears a close relationship to playing the same game in a professional setting for a typical professional athlete. Maybe it does, but I don't think it is a given.