Deleterious

Everything Monroe

Figured this will be a hot topic this summer. So here is all the info you need to know about his free agency.

Free agent type: Restricted.

What that means: Teams can sign Monroe to an offer sheet. The Pistons will have 3 days to match the offer. They are able to go over the cap to match it.

When can he negotiate/sign: He can start talking to other teams at 12:01 AM on July 1st. He can sign an offer sheet starting July 10th. He is free to negotiate with Detroit now if he wants. But he can't sign any type of extension until July 10th.

Sign and Trade?: He is eligible for a sign and trade. Like Larry Coon says in his CBA FAQ, there isn't much reason for players to do this anymore. In the past you did it for the extra year and bigger annual raises. But you can't do that anymore. To be eligible for a S&T you have to take the 4 years and 4.5% raises instead of the 5 years and 7.5% raises that Detroit can give him. Good candidates for a S&T are teams who are over the cap or don't have enough cap space to sign Monroe outright. In a S&T Monroe is the only player the Pistons can trade in the deal. The other team can package multiple players though.

Miscellaneous: If another team signs Monroe to an offer sheet and the Pistons match, Monroe is given a one year trade veto. So if you think sign him and let the new GM trade him this year, it will be pretty hard with that veto. The veto is only good for one year though.

What does a max contract look like?: Using the projected salary cap number of $62M. There are two types of max deals Monroe can get.

From Detroit, his first year salary can be 25% of the salary cap. The Length can be 5 years. Raises are 7.5% per year. Here is how that looks (In millions):

gWyDNjt.png

From a different team, his first year salary can be 25% of the cap. Length can be 4 years. Raises are 4.5% per year. Here is how that looks (In millions):

Ic3cAsx.png

Who has the cap space to sign Monroe?: This site doesn't list cap space. But it does list each teams committed salary for this summer. So if the cap is $62M, any team with less than $46.5M will have the space to sign him.

Projected 2014/15 Cap Space For Each Team | Hoops Rumors

The nuclear option: If Monroe can't agree to terms with another team and/or the Pistons, he will sign his qualifying offer from the Pistons and play on that next season. After next season he would then be an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with any team and the Pistons will not have the right to match any offer.

I think that is it. Feel free to add things I left out.

Best case scenario: Someone signs him to a reasonable offer sheet and we match.

Worst case scenario: 1) he takes the nuclear option and then leaves after next year and we get nothing; or 2) they sign him to a max 5 year deal.

Likely option: he gets 4 years at close to the max and stays in Detroit. Smith is moved for next to nothing.

I'm hoping he's back in Detroit for a deal very similar to Smith's, with Smith being shipped out. Monroe's offensive game is a little overrated, and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. If forced to choose between him and Al Jefferson today for equal money, I take Jefferson all day. Big Al is on a 3y, $39M deal, but with Monroe being younger, he should get an extra year and maybe a little more money. I'd say 4y, $54M for Moose is fair. Trade Smith carefully, he should have value to a team who wants to play him at PF. One year of SF didn't make him forget how to play PF, where he was really valuable in Atlanta.

I wouldn't want to do anything more than 4 and $60. I really like Monroe; reliable offensive option most nights and he plays hard, plus he seems like a good guy off the court. On the other hand, he can't defend anybody, stretch fours or back-to-the-basket guys, and his scoring arsenal is pretty shallow. Only way I see him justifying anywhere near a max deal is if he somehow develops range out to about 18 feet. Don't see it happening though.

I think giving him a max deal that starts at 15M and goes up to 20M over the next 5 years is probably the worst case scenario. I'd pretty much rather see any one of the other options happen. He's a solid player but he's not a 5 year max player in my opinion.

I could handle Monroe at 4/$54 probably.

That's a good ballpark range.

Six months ago, I didn't think this would be an option to still have him here in Detroit. I really thought a trade was "inevitable."

That's a good ballpark range.

Six months ago, I didn't think this would be an option to still have him here in Detroit. I really thought a trade was "inevitable."

I really still think it is. I have not seen any end-of-year metrics, but it sure doesn't seem like he improved in the areas that he needed to at this point last year.

Sure, he was playing with two ball-dominating chuckers--so he didn't have much of a shot of showcasing any improvements in his outside shot. But it also isn't like he improved his rebounding, overall defense or became a better shot blocker either. No foul shooting improvements, FG% a shade under 50% which is normal for him.

Unless all interest on the market dries up on him, I don't get paying anything north of $10m for Monroe.

There's no way that Monroe gets the max. I think the Josh Smith contract is the most that he would command.

Pekovic is a good comparable (5 yrs $60 mil) and i actually think that Pekovic might be a little better especially defensively. If Pistons management is smart, they will point to that contract as a comparable and negotiate off of those numbers.

Move Smith to another team, Move Monroe to Center, move Drummond to PF, get a scoring SF, team improves.

Monroe gets 4/52 and that is 13 mil a year. Monroe gets 4/60 and that is 15 mil a year, the difference between 15 mil and 13 mil is 2 mil, which is basically Will Bynum or Chauncey instead of a 2nd round rook on a min. deal.. So if you are OK with Greg at 4/52, you should be willing to pay 4/60 too. That 2 mil a year is valuable, but not as valuable as losing Greg, that is if you feel Greg is worth keeping as a starter to begin with.

Which I do now, wasn't so sure I cared when it wasn't real, but now that it is real, we need to keep Greg unless there is a S and T that blows us a away.

I could handle Monroe at 4/$54 probably.

This kind of deal seems more realistic to me these days. Maybe even less. I'm not really sold that there's a better offer out there for him. Philly maybe?

Washington. They have a good $20M in cap space this summer.

Probably not enough room to retain Gortat and sign Monroe. It seems they like Gortat quite a bit in Washington and there has been talk of extending him.

Cap number came up higher then expected.

Pistons need to keep Monroe, he is good, Smith/Jennings really hurt him more then any other player on the team. Jennings is not good at setting up bigs and shoots too much from the point, and Smith just shoots too much.

I'm not really seeing it here, but I am other places around the web. So just to be clear.

I keep seeing people say if Monroe gets a max offer, they need to go find a sign and trade for him. Assuming he signs an offer sheet, that team is the only team you can sign and trade him to. You can't go find a sign and trade deal at that point. Once he signs the offer you have 3 days to match, work out a sign and trade with that team, or let him walk for nothing.

Yah, a sign and trade is unlikely. It'd have to be worked out pre-offer sheet most likely. You could probably get something like Porter, Nene and a future 1st from Washington. Porter was so horrible this year though that I'm not sure what kind of interest there would be in him. He was a top 5 pick just a year ago though. He might still bounce back.

Monroe for cousins and sacramento's #1 pick!

Add Cousins to Smith & Jennings. There's the new big three!

Not one championship. Not two. Not three. Not four.....

there are three definite tiers on that list.

Without a doubt. But that doesn't change the fact the Pistons have something not many others have.

If you drop it to 13 and 9 there are 4 players in the league who qualify. The Pistons have two of them.

Without a doubt. But that doesn't change the fact the Pistons have something not many others have.

If you drop it to 13 and 9 there are 4 players in the league who qualify. The Pistons have two of them.

monroe has value. Which is why he is not going anywhere.

there are three definite tiers on that list.

Greg Monroe is definitely the caboose of that train.

Well, the Pistons are bad enough that you can point at any position and see deficiency, but I'd have to agree you will be a lot further ahead a lot faster finding a new 1-3 to play with Dummond and Monroe than finding a new 4/5 to play with Jennings, Stuckey and Smith (it hurts just to think about those last three names together again).