Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

Based on what?

My understanding is he has quite an entourage.

Nothing blows through money than an entourage.

ETA: It also isn't uncommon for professional athletes to declare bankruptcy 5 years after retiring.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

ESPN is reporting that the Warriors head coach, Mark Jackson, has been fired.

I think he would be a good candidate for the Pistons.

Jackson getting fired is bad news for the Pistons. That opens another job that is more desirable than Detroit.

Do not want.

Why not? He seemed to do pretty well with the Warrriors. They will regret firing him.

Why not? He seemed to do pretty well with the Warrriors. They will regret firing him.

I agree with you that he did a pretty good job. But he fired 2 assistants in April. Well, one was reassigned withing the organization the other was fired. The one who was fired was recording all conversations and meetings. Something weird is going on there. Totally just a gut feeling on my part though.

I agree with you that he did a pretty good job. But he fired 2 assistants in April. Well, one was reassigned withing the organization the other was fired. The one who was fired was recording all conversations and meetings. Something weird is going on there. Totally just a gut feeling on my part though.

Yeah, something doesn't add up with him.

Just curious, would anyone do a sign and trade of Monroe for Hibbert?

No.

He is due $30M over the next 2 years. I can't risk that kind of money on someone performing like he has the past month or two.

And that doesn't even begin to address how bad him and Drummond would fit together.

Everyone always name drops Tom Izzo when there is a Pistons coaching vacancy. With that, I have a serious question. What about John Beilein? Could he be a successful coach in the NBA, if given a team worth a half a damn? Would he potentially be any better or worse than Tom Izzo?

I'd never heard these parts to the Jackson story....

Mike Malone was able to escape Jackson’s ire with a head-coaching gig in Sacramento, but others were not so lucky. Jackson and Jackson’s loyalists (Pete Meyers and Lindsey Hunter) clashed with Brian Scalabrine, which resulted in Scalabrine’s D-League exile. Then Jackson’s group clashed with Darren Erman, leading to Erman secretly recording what became his own pink slip.

The September introduction of Hunter, a friend of Jackson’s, was regarded as a destabilizing force according to multiple sources. This marks the third consecutive time his hiring has coincided with a head coach getting fired within a year. Hunter had a reputation as an underminer from his days in Chicago and Phoenix. While he did not sabotage Jackson specifically, he made life difficult for others on staff.
It’s quite possible Jackson couldn’t have survived even with a cohesive coaching staff. It all started off on the wrong foot, with Jackson deciding to coach the Warriors while living in Los Angeles and presiding over his church as pastor. Management found this arrangement less than ideal, but Jackson flat out refused to reconsider.

Being a pastor meant a lot to him and he wasn’t giving it up for anything. Though he claimed an Oakland apartment, his family lived in Los Angeles and he spent a majority of the offseason there. It was the first of many instances where ownership perspective was met with a firm rebuke.

Mark Jackson's way and the highway - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Everyone always name drops Tom Izzo when there is a Pistons coaching vacancy. With that, I have a serious question. What about John Beilein? Could he be a successful coach in the NBA, if given a team worth a half a damn? Would he potentially be any better or worse than Tom Izzo?

You would hear the same concerns that people have with Izzo, or most college coaches. Lack of any NBA experience is a huge problem with a guy like Beilein. It isn't an X's and O's thing, its a cultural thing. That is why guys like Hoiberg and Ollie keep getting mentioned. Both played 10+ years in the league and have a good understand of how the league works.

I didn't know he was still living in LA. I knew he was pretty involved in his church. I just assumed it was in Oakland.

So his best fit would be with the Lakers? He could be a pastor and head coach in the same city?

If you listen to Bill Simmons' podcast with Rich Bucher, they paint the picture of the Warriors' owner being an extreme micro-manager. Apparently, he wants to be heavily involved in all decisions and sees himself as a "basketball expert", even though doesn't have such a resume. This lead to the problems within the Warriors' locker-room.

Jackson ending up in LA or Indiana (if Vogel is fired) seems to make sense. New York may even be a possibility.

If you listen to Bill Simmons' podcast with Rich Bucher, they paint the picture of the Warriors' owner being an extreme micro-manager. Apparently, he wants to be heavily involved in all decisions and sees himself as a "basketball expert", even though doesn't have such a resume. This lead to the problems within the Warriors' locker-room.

Jackson ending up in LA or Indiana (if Vogel is fired) seems to make sense. New York may even be a possibility.

So mark jackson talked to rick bucher...

multiple assistant coaches leaving/fired would be a red flag for me. I wouldnt want mark jackson.

That doesn't shock me. A week or two ago I posted an article that said that is the new trend in the NBA. It was also linked in the article TigerSlappy posted yesterday.

The next wave of head-coaching prospects - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

League execs insist there is no consideration more important in hiring a head coach than whether he conforms to the sensibility of ownership -- not personal background, whiteboard skills, media relations, city or even pedigree. “If you’re asking me to put together a list [of head-coach candidates], first you have to tell me what the owner’s business philosophy is," a longtime NBA executive says. General managers have come to realize that the only thing worse than not getting their preferred choice installed as head coach is spending the season apologizing to their owner for that choice.

Compared to what we had in Detroit the last few years Mark Jackson is freaking Red Auerbach. I'd take him in a second. We're not in a position to be too picky.

The Jackson story reminds me of when we fired Carlisle. I'd happily be his Dallas.

Give me Mark Jackson, Marcus Smart and Lance Stephenson. I think Jackson could work wonders with a tough backcourt like that.

The Jackson story reminds me of when we fired Carlisle. I'd happily be his Dallas.

Give me Mark Jackson, Marcus Smart and Lance Stephenson. I think Jackson could work wonders with a tough backcourt like that.

Unfortunately, you would end up being his Indiana.

If you want to see Rick with a full head of hair, check out BR profile. His player one.

Unfortunately, you would end up being his Indiana.

If you want to see Rick with a full head of hair, check out BR profile. His player one.

To each their own. I'd be all in for Jackson though. When I look for a coach, two things I look for most are the ability to coach PG play and the ability to coach defense. Jackson is wonderful at both. His players love playing for him and he gets results.

edit - Jackson won 61 games in his first year in Indiana btw and probably wins a title without the Malice.