Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

This year? Next year? In two years?

What is it worth to not play Monroe and Smith out of position again this season, and at times concurrently?

I'm not saying we should just dump Monroe for just any pick or player, but if we get an asset that fits SVG's needs then pull the trigger for sure.

I am speaking only to this season.

Monroe is an effective player on a cheap deal. He has definite value. But teams know the Pistons are motivated to move him to prevent the possibility of him walking at season's end for nothing. Teams also know the Pistons are not going to seriously compete for a title this year and it isn't even clear if they will even make the play-offs.

So the Pistons are not dealing from a position of strength and are going to get low balled in any deal involving Monroe.

The only way they will get near true value for Greg in trade is if the trading partner is also dealing from a similar position of weakness or multiple teams become interested in Greg and drive the price up.

It looks like Dinwiddie has been cleared to play in the next game. Let the disappointment begin.

People are talking about this guy starting by the All Star break. What a joke.

I'm a bit confused by your post.

Are you saying that he will be a disappointment?

Why is it a joke that he might start by the All Star Break?

I haven't kept up with the Pistons offseason chatter so am i missing something here?

I'm a bit confused by your post.

Are you saying that he will be a disappointment?

Why is it a joke that he might start by the All Star Break?

I haven't kept up with the Pistons offseason chatter so am i missing something here?

He is a second round pick who has never played a single second in the NBA. He is coming off of an injury where he hasn't played any basketball in a year. I saw/heard a few people saying he will be starting by the all star break. I think if you think that about him then you will be disappointed.

I'm not saying he will be a disappointment, I just think people are expecting too much too soon. DJ Augustin is a very solid backup PG and a borderline starter and I don't think he can beat Jennings out as a starter. Expecting this kid to come in and do it is a pipe dream IMO.

This is what I expect/want for Dinwiddie. Bring him along slow and groom him to either take over for Jennings when he walks and/or is traded in two years. Or if we are lucky and Jennings turns things around and signs another deal, Dinwiddie backs up Jennings and maybe gets some backup minutes at SG if KCP and/or Meeks don't work out.

He is a second round pick who has never played a single second in the NBA. He is coming off of an injury where he hasn't played any basketball in a year. I saw/heard a few people saying he will be starting by the all star break. I think if you think that about him then you will be disappointed.

I'm not saying he will be a disappointment, I just think people are expecting too much too soon. DJ Augustin is a very solid backup PG and a borderline starter and I don't think he can beat Jennings out as a starter. Expecting this kid to come in and do it is a pipe dream IMO.

This is what I expect/want for Dinwiddie. Bring him along slow and groom him to either take over for Jennings when he walks and/or is traded in two years. Or if we are lucky and Jennings turns things around and signs another deal, Dinwiddie backs up Jennings and maybe gets some backup minutes at SG if KCP and/or Meeks don't work out.

I really like Dinwiddie but agree with you completely. That injury takes more than a full year to come back from completely so i'd say there's zero chance that he's starting at all this season and in fact, i'd be surprised if he's even the backup PG at any point this season.

He's a longer term project for sure but he has all the physical tools to be solid starter in this league, likely in a couple of years. People who think he will start by the All Star break this season are in for a huge letdown.

He was much better on his second episode. He actually participated in the discussion.

So what lesson did you learn from this? :classic:

So what lesson did you learn from this? :classic:

Don't watch the episodes with Billups on it. He was better, still the worst on the set. Even terrible Shaq was better.

Don't watch the episodes with Billups on it. He was better, still the worst on the set. Even terrible Shaq was better.

how can you be worse than a guy who talks with marbles in his mouth?

I am speaking only to this season.

Monroe is an effective player on a cheap deal. He has definite value. But teams know the Pistons are motivated to move him to prevent the possibility of him walking at season's end for nothing. Teams also know the Pistons are not going to seriously compete for a title this year and it isn't even clear if they will even make the play-offs.

So the Pistons are not dealing from a position of strength and are going to get low balled in any deal involving Monroe.

The only way they will get near true value for Greg in trade is if the trading partner is also dealing from a similar position of weakness or multiple teams become interested in Greg and drive the price up.

Monroe is on a cheap deal, yes. Could that make him attractive to a team making a run at the playoffs? For sure, and it would definitely take the right trading partner for us to extract proper value. Those teams are out there. Veteran Bigs get hurt in the NBA, and sometimes younger bigs fall out of favor with coaches--the landscape will certainly look different than it did this summer.

And effective is a relative term. Is he more effective playing center than power forward as a two-way player? Is he more effective coming off the bench, or starting? Would he benefit from playing next to another big who can stretch the floor?

Imagine how he would fit somewhere like San Antonio, to be specific. OKC could certainly use some firepower now with Durant out. The Knicks could use some punch down low. Same with the Lakers.

There will be a market for Monroe and I hope SVG looks like a genius for being patient and waiting for it.

Detroit Pistons notes: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope's absence threatens early-season rotation plans | MLive.com

I'm going to go ahead and be the one to read too much into SVG's statement, "We're playing with a guard, a small forward, a power forward and two centers, so that's not the ideal lineup..."

I'm glad to hear that he understands Monroe's natural position is Center, not Power Forward. It doesn't look like Monroe wants to be here anyway, but in the end I don't think a Monroe/Drummond frontcourt makes sense to pursue long term and Stan calling him a Center makes me hope he understands that as well. Please don't take this as a Josh Smith endorsement, because it's not. If we're going to build a contender, then I don't think the Pistons PF is on this roster right now.

Monroe is on a cheap deal, yes. Could that make him attractive to a team making a run at the playoffs? For sure, and it would definitely take the right trading partner for us to extract proper value. Those teams are out there. Veteran Bigs get hurt in the NBA, and sometimes younger bigs fall out of favor with coaches--the landscape will certainly look different than it did this summer.

And effective is a relative term. Is he more effective playing center than power forward as a two-way player? Is he more effective coming off the bench, or starting? Would he benefit from playing next to another big who can stretch the floor?

Imagine how he would fit somewhere like San Antonio, to be specific. OKC could certainly use some firepower now with Durant out. The Knicks could use some punch down low. Same with the Lakers.

There will be a market for Monroe and I hope SVG looks like a genius for being patient and waiting for it.

There is no market for him.

how can you be worse than a guy who talks with marbles in his mouth?

Billups sounds fine, he just says nothing and doesn't answer the questions that people ask him.

Hashtag Basketball

This is a pretty nice website. It has a page for every team in the league and it shows all of their Twitter activity in one spot. Left column is for tweets from players on the team. Middle column is for official team tweets. Right column is for tweets from beat writers and bloggers. Here is the Pistons page.

Detroit Pistons Team Tweets | Hashtag Basketball

There is no market for him.

This type of stuff is your niche, so I'm not challenging your opinion, but why is this?

Is it because he has to approve a deal? Isn't it possible for a couple teams to be interested in him?

Even with a right to belt a trade, a guy on a cheap one year deal that is actually good has to have some value, no?

This type of stuff is your niche, so I'm not challenging your opinion, but why is this?

Is it because he has to approve a deal? Isn't it possible for a couple teams to be interested in him?

Even with a right to belt a trade, a guy on a cheap one year deal that is actually good has to have some value, no?

The veto is problematic but you can probably find a team he would approve of.

Teams will want him but they wont want to give up anything for him. Usually when you are traded your Bird rights go with you. But not when you sign a qualifying offer. So any team trading for Monroe will need actual cap space to sign him next summer. If they had his Bird rights they could just go over the salary cap to sign him and teams would be willing to give up a lot more to get him.

The veto is problematic but you can probably find a team he would approve of.

Teams will want him but they wont want to give up anything for him. Usually when you are traded your Bird rights go with you. But not when you sign a qualifying offer. So any team trading for Monroe will need actual cap space to sign him next summer. If they had his Bird rights they could just go over the salary cap to sign him and teams would be willing to give up a lot more to get him.

The Spurs seem like a pretty obvious fit to me for Monroe, as well as the Lakers based on the above qualifiers.

We may not get equal value, but we could get something useful going forward.

The Spurs seem like a pretty obvious fit to me for Monroe, as well as the Lakers based on the above qualifiers.

We may not get equal value, but we could get something useful going forward.

The only useful things the Lakers have are Randle and draft picks and they are not giving up either of those assets to land Monroe. The only incentive for a team to trade for Monroe this year is if they are competing for a title. Since the Lakers wont be they will just wait till summer and try to sign Monroe then. Without his Bird rights and without competing for a title, the Lakers have zero reasons to trade for him.

The Spurs will probably be in the hunt for a title, so they do have some incentive to make a trade. But what do they have that we would want? Austin Daye? They could give up a 1st round pick but that would be in the late 20's. And If Duncan comes back next year the Spurs wont have the cap space to sign Monroe. If I'm Detroit and my choices are a late 1st or rolling the dice on signing Monroe next summer, I probably keep him and try to sign him.

And we haven't even discussed the possibility of Detroit being in a playoff race. What if we hit Valentines day and the Pistons are sitting in the 6-8th seed? Can you really trade Monroe at that point? This organization needs to make the playoffs in a bad way. So I don't think you can move him if they are in a playoff race.

Kind of an odd situation. I think a lot of teams would love to trade for Monroe. But his contract situation makes it pretty hard for any of them to do so. Unless Detroit is willing to take pennies on the dollar for him.

The only useful things the Lakers have are Randle and draft picks and they are not giving up either of those assets to land Monroe. The only incentive for a team to trade for Monroe this year is if they are competing for a title. Since the Lakers wont be they will just wait till summer and try to sign Monroe then. Without his Bird rights and without competing for a title, the Lakers have zero reasons to trade for him.

The Spurs will probably be in the hunt for a title, so they do have some incentive to make a trade. But what do they have that we would want? Austin Daye? They could give up a 1st round pick but that would be in the late 20's. And If Duncan comes back next year the Spurs wont have the cap space to sign Monroe. If I'm Detroit and my choices are a late 1st or rolling the dice on signing Monroe next summer, I probably keep him and try to sign him.

And we haven't even discussed the possibility of Detroit being in a playoff race. What if we hit Valentines day and the Pistons are sitting in the 6-8th seed? Can you really trade Monroe at that point? This organization needs to make the playoffs in a bad way. So I don't think you can move him if they are in a playoff race.

Kind of an odd situation. I think a lot of teams would love to trade for Monroe. But his contract situation makes it pretty hard for any of them to do so. Unless Detroit is willing to take pennies on the dollar for him.

With Steve Nash out for the season, won't Lakers management feel some urgency to put another scorer into the lineup with Kobe? They have a ton of money tied up in him still. If you were SVG, would you consider a Monroe for Kelly and Boozer swap if you were serious about making the playoffs this season? Given the system, it sure would give us some useful parts. It also gives the Lakers a player who stays healthy and one who could be a great 3rd option on offense for a long time given Monroe likes LA.

SA is a fantastic situation, especially given Duncan's age. It gives them a pivot that can score and rebound next to Duncan, who is very close to retirement. SA has a ton of cap space going into 2015--as will the Lakers--and the Spurs are definitely a team that will look to get younger sooner than later. If you are Pop, and you are confident in your organization's ability to retain talent, Monroe is a pretty great option that will be available for far less than his actual worth this season. After years of losing, how attractive would a great team like the Spurs look to Monroe?

With Steve Nash out for the season, won't Lakers management feel some urgency to put another scorer into the lineup with Kobe? They have a ton of money tied up in him still. If you were SVG, would you consider a Monroe for Kelly and Boozer swap if you were serious about making the playoffs this season? Given the system, it sure would give us some useful parts. It also gives the Lakers a player who stays healthy and one who could be a great 3rd option on offense for a long time given Monroe likes LA.

SA is a fantastic situation, especially given Duncan's age. It gives them a pivot that can score and rebound next to Duncan, who is very close to retirement. SA has a ton of cap space going into 2015--as will the Lakers--and the Spurs are definitely a team that will look to get younger sooner than later. If you are Pop, and you are confident in your organization's ability to retain talent, Monroe is a pretty great option that will be available for far less than his actual worth this season. After years of losing, how attractive would a great team like the Spurs look to Monroe?

If you believe Kelly will amount to anything, why would the Lakers trade him? They can just go get Monroe next summer and not lose Kelly. It might make a little sense if the Lakers received Monroe's Bird rights, but they wont. So next year they could give Monroe the same amount of years/money and not lose Kelly. The Lakers don't care about surrounding Kobe with anything. If they cared about that they would have spent more this summer. The word was they are waiting until next year.

SA is always a good destination as long as Pop coaches. But like I said, they have no cap space next year. I know you said they did, but you are not taking into account their cap holds on Parker/Ginobli/Duncan. Those alone equal about $40M. Add that to the $21M they have committed next year and you're already at $61M. I dont think Monroe will sign for $2M. Maybe if Duncan gives them a heads up that he is going to retire this summer, they might have some cap space. I would have to look it up though. But again, they can wait until next summer and try to land him and not lose any assets. Trading for him doesn't give them a leg up like it normally would.

Like I said. A lot of teams will want Monroe and you're making a good argument for that. Me saying there isn't a market for him has nothing to do with his talent level or teams not wanting him. It basically has everything to do with the business side of things, not the basketball side.

Yeah it seemed like he was going to make it. He can still be useful off the bench to jack up 3's. He might be ok on a good team in the right role.

They cut Gray. I believe he had two years guaranteed so don't feel too bad for him.

It does bring up a question. Why wasn't his medical condition detected before he signed?