Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

Another fine performance from Teague to lead his team past Indy last night. Really wish I could stop being sad about us not even making an offer to try to get him last year, but I can't get over it. Just another thing that continues to fuel my burning hatred for the terrible job Joe did as GM. And then they show the Brandon Jennings commercial where he's getting his shot blocked by Boozer, just to rub salt in the wound.

I have been telling myself the Hawks would have matched any offer Detroit made. Not sure it is easing the pain though.

I have been telling myself the Hawks would have matched any offer Detroit made. Not sure it is easing the pain though.

They might have, but they waited a bit to even match the offer he got, which was pretty low. I remember suggesting 4/50ish. I wonder if they would have matched. I wonder if we would have been happy with that deal right now too. Hmmm

They might have, but they waited a bit to even match the offer he got, which was pretty low. I remember suggesting 4/50ish. I wonder if they would have matched. I wonder if we would have been happy with that deal right now too. Hmmm

Teams often wait if they want to land another FA. Use your cap space to sign the FA then go over the cap to keep your player (Teague).

Teams often wait if they want to land another FA. Use your cap space to sign the FA then go over the cap to keep your player (Teague).

I don't think they signed anyone during the waiting period after Teague signed with Milwaukee, but I could be wrong. Its only like 3 or 5 days.

Main point being, he got a much smaller offer than I expected. It would have been interesting to at least see what they would have matched. Worst case you make a team in your conference spend more of their cap space.

This isn't Pistons specific. But a nice list of assistant coaches who might be ready for their first head coaching job.

The next wave of head-coaching prospects - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

I have to admit that the write up on Snyder made me very intrigued. Messina intrigues me as well for that matter. Ollie is probably my favorite candidate.

I don't think they signed anyone during the waiting period after Teague signed with Milwaukee, but I could be wrong. Its only like 3 or 5 days.

Main point being, he got a much smaller offer than I expected. It would have been interesting to at least see what they would have matched. Worst case you make a team in your conference spend more of their cap space.

Because they didn't sign anyone doesn't mean they weren't trying.

Because they didn't sign anyone doesn't mean they weren't trying.

I suppose. The Hawks are run by a former Spurs GM and Spurs assistant coach. I feel like that's not really their MO

I suppose. The Hawks are run by a former Spurs GM and Spurs assistant coach. I feel like that's not really their MO

A smart move to get the most out of your cap space? Feels exactly like the Spurs MO to me.

On the Sports Reporters Lupicka's final word was about the Sterling fiasco, he pointed out Tom Gores as an example of a bad owner as he rambled on about be careful what you wish for.

Just heard Mark Jackson's job is in jeopardy too...Not a bad potential crop of coaches to pick from in Jackson, Hollins, and Vogel

edit: oh, and Doc Rivers too.

Edited by DaBishop

Let Gores buy the Clippers from Sterling and put the Pistons up for sale.

That would be perfect.

Report: Bulls will try to trade Carlos Boozer before considering amnesty | ProBasketballTalk

The Pistons could probably take Boozer without sending Chicago anything back. If they want to go after Melo that is probably what they are looking for. Chicago has the 16th (From Charlotte ironically) and the 19th pick this year. Would you take Boozer and those two draft picks? Booze only has 1 year left.

Report: Bulls will try to trade Carlos Boozer before considering amnesty | ProBasketballTalk

The Pistons could probably take Boozer without sending Chicago anything back. If they want to go after Melo that is probably what they are looking for. Chicago has the 16th (From Charlotte ironically) and the 19th pick this year. Would you take Boozer and those two draft picks? Booze only has 1 year left.

It all depends if they intend to re-sign Monroe, otherwise I probably would. I would prefer to try and and find third team to ship Smoove to and send one of those picks to the other team. This way they could still retain Monroe and use Boozer as 6th man. This will never happen though because Gores will never spend extra money like that for a few picks.

Is Melo a Sign and Trade option? He is an UFA, but he can sign a deal in NY for another year and like 30 more million right? Or are the rumbles that no one views him as a 2nd max contract guy true?

If he does a S&T, I would think Chicago would need to send Boozer's expiring and both of their picks to NY, but I don't know Melo's value anymore.

Is Melo a Sign and Trade option? He is an UFA, but he can sign a deal in NY for another year and like 30 more million right? Or are the rumbles that no one views him as a 2nd max contract guy true?

If he does a S&T, I would think Chicago would need to send Boozer's expiring and both of their picks to NY, but I don't know Melo's value anymore.

If he signs a max deal with the Knicks, his fifth year would be over $30M, yes.

There is no incentive for Melo to do a sign and trade with Chicago. That is assuming Chicago can clear the space to sign him. You can no longer get that extra year and money in a sign and trade like you used to do.

if we did that I think we could trade Smith and one of them (or our 8th potentially) for a shooter

It all depends if they intend to re-sign Monroe, otherwise I probably would. I would prefer to try and and find third team to ship Smoove to and send one of those picks to the other team. This way they could still retain Monroe and use Boozer as 6th man. This will never happen though because Gores will never spend extra money like that for a few picks.

I was thinking use the picks. But your idea makes a lot more sense.

The Boozer deal would be quite interesting. You're basically sticking with Smith as your 4 and Boozer as some sort of 6th man for a year at that point. I suppose you could waive him or buy him out too.

I know Gores wouldn't do it, but what would be really interesting would be to see if we could make that deal and then use the stretch provision on Boozer while re-signing Monroe.