Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

I was really excited around this time last year to see what we could do. This year, we still have Monroe, Smith, and Jennings so...meh. Kind of a let down from the high hopes I had for this offseason.

Q&A with SVG One thing I like about SVG is I think he's definitely a straight shooter.

That interview alone just about sells me on VanGundy. Very good answers to all those questions. Not a lot of fluff in there and he handled the Monroe/Smith questions very well.

Q&A with SVG One thing I like about SVG is I think he's definitely a straight shooter.

Oh he is great. He is a regular guest with Dan lebatard, they really don't even talk basketball. Mostly just rap about current events.

Oh he is great. He is a regular guest with Dan lebatard, they really don't even talk basketball. Mostly just rap about current events.

The funny thing about the Van Gundys is that as much as I enjoy listening to Stan speak, I generally don't care to listen to Jeff.

I don't care for either of them to be honest. That "straight shooter" reputation is probably why both of his coaching stints have been cut short, despite his success.

I did laugh pretty hard the other day when someone asked Jeff if his brother would make the playoffs. He couldn't say no fast enough.

I think Jeff Van Gundy is good to listen to as well. I don't like Mark Jackson being back though, never found him all that TV friendly.

I don't get the Jackson love either.

NBATV has a media day show on today at 3PM. It just says coverage of teams media day. No clue if they will report on anything from the Pistons or not.

That "straight shooter" reputation is probably why both of his coaching stints have been cut short, despite his success.

I find the straight shooter thing refreshing insofar as I rarely hear a coach do that in interviews / press conferences unless they are at wits end, and I think being honest is the best policy in general.

That written, I reserve the right not to like it when he loses his players in 3 to 4 years. :cheeky:

I find the straight shooter thing refreshing insofar as I rarely hear a coach do that in interviews / press conferences unless they are at wits end, and I think being honest is the best policy in general.

That written, I reserve the right not to like it when he loses his players in 3 to 4 years. :cheeky:

Well, thats the real trick. I think players are fine with a straight shooter behind closed doors. When it happens in the press I think they are less receptive.

People always talk about how SVG turned D12 into a great player. He also ran him out of town.

maybe, but had the Magic stuck with SVG instead of Howard, they'd probably have been in better shape then they are now. They could have traded Dwight when they had leverage, gotten a better package back in return, and had a good coach to boot.

Orlando hitched their wagon to the wrong horse in that case.

Well, thats the real trick. I think players are fine with a straight shooter behind closed doors. When it happens in the press I think they are less receptive.

People always talk about how SVG turned D12 into a great player. He also ran him out of town.

Living ~90 minutes from Amway arena, I heard plenty about Howard his last few years in Orlando. Some good, some not so good--really not so different from most alpha-male superstar athlete types. Not all superstars have the personality, temperament or maturity to lead when they are in their 20s (Sprewell is a good example) and Howard didn't want to really be lead, either.

Drummond is more of a low-key dude than Howard was back then, so we can only hope that SVG's leadership will have more staying power in Detroit than it did in Orlando. Larry Brown was rough on point guards for years (while improving them) before he found one that could take his guff and turn it into a trophy. We can only hope . . .

My thoughts as well. There is a difference between being a strait shooter and being overbearing. SVG may be both. In this interview, I think he was just being honest.

Is there any IR or disabled list we can place Gray on and be able to keep Thabeet?

No, they don't do an IR list in the NBA. Roster is 15 (20 in the summer) man with or without injuries. 13 of those players can be active and dressed with 2 not dressing.

No, they don't do an IR list in the NBA. Roster is 15 (20 in the summer) man with or without injuries. 13 of those players can be active and dressed with 2 not dressing.

Thanks.

So assuming they drop Mitchell, they'll be at 15. If Gray can't go, they really need another big. Thabeet can fill that role, but they would need space for him. Do they eat Bynum's deal or ship him off? Datome? Both are expirings and buried on the depth chart really.

Thanks.

So assuming they drop Mitchell, they'll be at 15. If Gray can't go, they really need another big. Thabeet can fill that role, but they would need space for him. Do they eat Bynum's deal or ship him off? Datome? Both are expirings and buried on the depth chart really.

If Gray can't go they probably drop him. I guess it would depend on how long he is expected to be out.

Thabeet is garbage...personally I'd wait til I hear at least one ridiculous post from Langolis about how he finally seems to have discovered his change-up before I start trying to find a way to fit him onto the team

Thabeet is garbage...personally I'd wait til I hear at least one ridiculous post from Langolis about how he finally seems to have discovered his change-up before I start trying to find a way to fit him onto the team

Even if they don't keep Thabeet, someone with a guaranteed deal is getting cut. So it is worth the discussion.

Less than a week until the first preseason game. Oct 7th against Chicago. The first and only televised preseason game is on Oct 12th against Washington.