Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

the team LB inherited was going no where until the Sheed trade. Carlisle has won as many championships as Detroit has since he was fired.

Did/Do you like Carlisle more than Brown?

I thought Brown was a huge reason the Pistons beat a heavily favored Lakers team in the Finals and then he was a huge distraction(Talking to the Knicks) against the Spurs in the Finals the following season.

If Vogel becomes available you absolutely have to interview him for the job. I like Hollins as well, but the article that said he hates statistics put him down a couple of notches in my book. I've had enough of the, "don't bother me with your silly facts, logic, and evidence" attitude with Cheeks. That mindset of coaching with blinders on scares me when we have guys like Smith and Jennings on the team.

Yah, if he came for Smith or otherwise cheap, I'd be interested. He's a SF who an hit 3s at a decent clip. His defense fluctuates, but he shows potential on that end. Solid but not special player. Definitely overpaid.

If Vogel becomes available you absolutely have to interview him for the job. I like Hollins as well, but the article that said he hates statistics put him down a couple of notches in my book. I've had enough of the, "don't bother me with your silly facts, logic, and evidence" attitude with Cheeks. That mindset of coaching with blinders on scares me when we have guys like Smith and Jennings on the team.

I agree, that kind of attitude bothers me as well. I might hire Hollins anyway, as he has been successful, but its something we'd have to discuss heavily in the interview process at the least.

Did/Do you like Carlisle more than Brown?

I thought Brown was a huge reason the Pistons beat a heavily favored Lakers team in the Finals and then he was a huge distraction(Talking to the Knicks) against the Spurs in the Finals the following season.

I did and I do. That Lakers team was completely unprepared to face the Pistons and that Pistons team after getting Sheed was a better team then the Lakers. By the time the finals came around Malone and Payton were shells and looked really really old. Tayshaun just doing a decent job on Kobe was all the difference. I not only think we win with Carlisle but needless to say we have coaching stability for the next 10 years as opposed to what happened. I know everyone blames Davidson for his firing, but Joe should really have stood his ground. Wanna talk about teams over achieving, those Piston teams under Carlisle played way over their heads. Sheed was the missing piece. The only question I would have had was if Sheed plays for Carlisle the way he did for Brown or if that whole UNC thing really did make all the difference (at least for half a season).

And let's not forget that for all the talk about what a great coach LB was, he has been a failure in the NBA since leaving Detroit.

Edited by DaBishop

If Vogel becomes available, Gores needs to get on a jet with his celebrity buds (ICarly) and buy Vogel a steak dinner then offer him more money than anyone else.

"should definitely interview him" is an understatement.

The comments section is ....looking for the right word...embarrassing? Sickening? There really are some true monsters out there. More than we are willing to believe I bet.

I do not read comments sections at all...almost ever, but for some reason decided to look..smh

I had to watch the video a second time to figure out that the dude they are with was Gores.

And if Andre was a better kisser, she would not have turned down the GM job that Gores offered. On to plan B. the girl from Clarissa explains it all, then maybe Kelly Kapowski.

It looks like Gores is pretty good friends with Drummond, which could be good news if they plan on building around him.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch is looking good in a recent weight watchers commercial. Can he ask her to help us bring in a good veteran next off season?

Edited by Fennis The Menace

I did and I do. That Lakers team was completely unprepared to face the Pistons and that Pistons team after getting Sheed was a better team then the Lakers. By the time the finals came around Malone and Payton were shells and looked really really old. Tayshaun just doing a decent job on Kobe was all the difference. I not only think we win with Carlisle but needless to say we have coaching stability for the next 10 years as opposed to what happened. I know everyone blames Davidson for his firing, but Joe should really have stood his ground. Wanna talk about teams over achieving, those Piston teams under Carlisle played way over their heads. Sheed was the missing piece. The only question I would have had was if Sheed plays for Carlisle the way he did for Brown or if that whole UNC thing really did make all the difference (at least for half a season).

And let's not forget that for all the talk about what a great coach LB was, he has been a failure in the NBA since leaving Detroit.

Is there a coach alive who could have done anything with the 2005-2006 NYK, a team filled with shoot-first 1's, broken-down 2's and has-been/injured bigs? That was one of the most awful rosters ever.

And he took a middling and shallow Charlotte team to the playoffs and lost to the Magic--who made it to the ECF two years in a row during that stretch with Howard--so I'm still looking at what made him a failure there. Sandwiched between the playoff appearance was a Charlotte team that used *24* players on its roster one year and 19 another. When you are set up to fail with a bad roster, chances are you aren't bringing home much in the way of hardware.

Calling Larry Brown a failure in the NBA since leaving Detroit is akin to calling Lance Blanks a World Champion. Yes he was there, but how much did he contribute to the lopsided result per his role?

Carlisle did a nice job for the Pistons but something was missing. Whatever happened in Detroit made Rick a better coach, I think, and he learned from it. Similarly, maybe whatever happened when Larry Brown came to Detroit made Chauncey a more efficient player.

While I am sure that waiting until the playoffs to finally unshackle Prince as a rookie didn't get Carlisle fired, I'm also not sure how much it helped him keep his job either.

The comments section is ....looking for the right word...embarrassing? Sickening? There really are some true monsters out there. More than we are willing to believe I bet.

I do not read comments sections at all...almost ever, but for some reason decided to look..smh

The internet reveals how many people are truly obsessed with race/hold bigoted feelings. Show me a video of black people, the comments are often disgusting.

How did Drummond rank against other leading rebounders?

Percentage of rebounds per chance (Rebounds compared to chances): He ranked #8 at 70.3%. Durant was #1 at 74.9%. Not a shock since he is going against guys who are so much shorter than him.

Rebound chances per game (Player is within the vicinity (3.5 feet) of the rebound): #3 at 18.8. Jordan was #1 at 19.

Contested Rebound (Rebounds gathered when an opponent was within 3.5 feet): #1 at 6.1 per game.

Uncontested (Nobody within 3.5 feet): #7 at 7.2 per game. Jordan was #1 at 8.1.

I made some predictions before the season started. Lets see how I did:

Wasn't bad on total minutes played. I had Smith, Jennings, and Monroe pretty much pegged. Drummond I was short about 250 minutes. I was way short on Singler, by about 1000 minutes. Off on Billups. Off on almost all of the end of the bench guys.

I did OK on rebounding I think, if you use the per36 predictions. Short on Drummond by quite a bit. Close on Monroe. Smith was even worse than I predicted.

Here are the posts where I pasted the predictions.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-pistons/100515-2013-pistons-offseason-47.html#post2969129

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-pistons/100515-2013-pistons-offseason-48.html#post2969514

Q4yz1DE.png

x77zG6t.png

o48bgj6.png

Another fine performance from Teague to lead his team past Indy last night. Really wish I could stop being sad about us not even making an offer to try to get him last year, but I can't get over it. Just another thing that continues to fuel my burning hatred for the terrible job Joe did as GM. And then they show the Brandon Jennings commercial where he's getting his shot blocked by Boozer, just to rub salt in the wound.