Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

Winning a battle and losing the war for sure.

They couldn't win a title with a possible GOAT. But your idea is don't tank, gather up a bunch of D-League talent, maybe a few 4th or 5th year guys who teams have given up on and....BOOM, Larry O'Brien trophies start falling from the sky?

I will roll the dice with James.

They couldn't win a title with a possible GOAT. But your idea is don't tank, gather up a bunch of D-League talent, maybe a few 4th or 5th year guys who teams have given up on and....BOOM, Larry O'Brien trophies start falling from the sky?

I will roll the dice with James.

One GOAT plus a bunch or role players for several years definitely stacks the deck against you, sans the 94 Rockets. And James has leveled-up since he was a Cav, so let's be real about that.

D-league talent is a pretty loose definition. One year you could be "D-League talent", but two or three years you are Big Ben, Bledsoe, one of the Green cousins, Kendall Marshall, Curry. My point is there is useful talent out there to be had for cheap while teams are drafting Bennetts and Porters.

But hey, if you want to wait for the next LBJ to fall from Kentucky--errr, I mean the sky--then it is definitely a free country.

And keep those jump-to-context replies coming, they are lots of fun.

I really like the idea of bringing in Parsons. I hope we make a big push for him.

Tanking is the worst way to win a championship, it takes a lot of luck and time. The best way is too sign the best players in the game to max contracts. Tanking however, is pretty much the only way for 1/2 the League to have a chance. It is also why 1/2 the League is irrelevant for decades at a time. The NBA should fix the problem, but it seems to have no interest in doing so.

Cleveland tanked and got Lebron, SCORE! Cleveland then tanked multiple years and got Irving, Anthony Bennet and Tristan Thompson. MEH.

Tanking is the worst way to win a championship, it takes a lot of luck and time. The best way is too sign the best players in the game to max contracts. Tanking however, is pretty much the only way for 1/2 the League to have a chance. It is also why 1/2 the League is irrelevant for decades at a time. The NBA should fix the problem, but it seems to have no interest in doing so.

Cleveland tanked and got Lebron, SCORE! Cleveland then tanked multiple years and got Irving, Anthony Bennet and Tristan Thompson. MEH.

Not sure what the league can do to help matters. I guess a hard cap is one thing but that would only have a small effect. The best players want to go to one of about 5 markets and those teams will always have a major advantage because championships are won with the superstars. The Pistons and most of the rest of the league will have to follow the blueprint of the Spurs and Thunder, which is doable, but takes excellent leadership from the top on down and we are a long ways from that right now.

One GOAT plus a bunch or role players for several years definitely stacks the deck against you, sans the 94 Rockets.

So tanking is the reason the Cavs surrounded LeBron with role players?

Not sure what the league can do to help matters. I guess a hard cap is one thing but that would only have a small effect. The best players want to go to one of about 5 markets and those teams will always have a major advantage because championships are won with the superstars. The Pistons and most of the rest of the league will have to follow the blueprint of the Spurs and Thunder, which is doable, but takes excellent leadership from the top on down and we are a long ways from that right now.

I wonder what the League would look like today if they did away with Max contracts. I haven't thought about every angle, but I reckon Lebron wouldn't care so much about playing with DWade and Bosh if the Cavs or someone else dumped an 8 year 225 mil contract on his desk.

I am not against tanking, it just sucks that 1/2 League's only hope to win a title is too suck for 3 or 4 years, maybe more if everything doesn't line up. Whereas the Heat can bumble their way into Shaq (accepted trade) and Lebron (FA) because it's Miami. They made one great organic move in the last 13 years, drafting Dwayne Wade. Yeah, that's not fair.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

The Spurs blueprint of 1) Have your best player get injured and out for the season; 2) win the lottery in a year that has the best power forward of all time available?

Or the Thunder blueprint of having multiple top 5 draft picks turn into Durant, Harden, and Westbrook?

if only...

Doing away with a max contract is a bad idea. You would just have all the talent on a few teams.

What you do is up the amount a max contract can be. Instead of 25%-30% of the cap you make it 50%. It makes the stars spread out and not group up on a few teams.

Doing away with a max contract is a bad idea. You would just have all the talent on a few teams.

What you do is up the amount a max contract can be. Instead of 25%-30% of the cap you make it 50%. It makes the stars spread out and not group up on a few teams.

How does the former not do the same as the latter?

How does the former not do the same as the latter?

I assumed he was doing away with the cap as well. My bad.

I like Dels idea because it doesn't require you to extend the contract to 8 years. Longer contracts would be brutal in the world of guaranteed contracts. Teams would be terrible for a long, long time due to a single injury or bad signing.

FWIW, we already do have giant contracts in the game. Kobe will make $25M the last year of his deal. If Carmelo signs with the Knicks, he will make over $30M in the last year of his deal.

On a somewhat related note. LeBron took less money so he could go to Miami. Which means every year he plays in the league he is making less money than he could have. I think he will survive though.

So tanking is the reason the Cavs surrounded LeBron with role players?

Well next to the almighty king of everything LBJ, isn't everybody just a role player?

The Cavs are a crappy organization--how about that for a reason why the Cavs didn't win a title with LBJ? With the second reason being that LBJ wasn't in his prime yet, and was a lesser player back then. I'm elated they never won a title with him.

If only the Pistons would have tried to tank last year, no Smith/no Jennings a top flight pick, and they could get a PG like Lowry and KCP would be further ahead.

Head Coach: Rasheed Wallace (Screw it I want Sheed)

Starters: Lowry-KCP-Parsons-Smith-Drummond

6th- Jennings

7th- Singler

8th- Vonleh (draft)

9th- Harrelson

10th- Mitchell

11th- Jerebko

Not dressed- Siva-2nd rd pick- Datome

ALRIGHT SIGN ME UP.

I have to admit, I kinda checked out after this statement.

Starters: Lowry-KCP-Parsons-Smith-Drummond

6th- Jennings

7th- Singler

8th- Vonleh (draft)

9th- Harrelson

10th- Mitchell

11th- Jerebko

Not dressed- Siva-2nd rd pick- Datome

ALRIGHT SIGN ME UP.

Looks good to me. Vonleh is a nice talent, it will be interesting where he ends up going after workouts, interviews and measureabating.