Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

Seems more a moot point as I thought SVG has already said he doesn't see the three on the court together.....(?)

No. He hinted at it and has since backtracked a bit. SVG is smart, he knows its impossible to bring Smith off the bench right now. He isn't going to pop off at the mouth without giving much thought to things. He isn't going to just come out and say Smith is coming off the bench until he has a suitable replacement at the SF for him. Because trust me, if his options at SF are Singler/Jerebko/Smith, guess who is playing the majority of the minutes at SF?

but he did do the job more often than not in the past. That part isn't really up for debate.

He did the job more often than not this year too. Even you said he is a plus defender. So I'm not quite sure what your point is here.

I think that's a given. I don't get how its boring though. This is the core issue of how our team for next year will be assembled. Everything else will fall in place in accordance with what we decide to do with the big 3.

No. The falling in line begins and ends with who they acquire to play SF. Then the 3 fall in line, etc etc. Currently there isn't anyone viable to replace Smith at the SF position. When/if someone is on the roster who could, this debate will be a lot more interesting.

He did the job more often than not this year too. Even you said he is a plus defender. So I'm not quite sure what your point is here.

I don't feel he was a plus defender last year, as a SF. I did mention that he has the athletic ability to do it and SVG and co might be able to coach him up in that area.

I don't feel he was a plus defender last year, as a SF. I did mention that he has the athletic ability to do it and SVG and co might be able to coach him up in that area.

Probably the best hope if he is still around. The whole thing is way overblown anyway. Smith spent about 50% of his time at PF last year.

Smith played 2730 minutes last year.

1336 of them were with both Drummond and Monroe on the court.

So 1394 minutes were with just one or neither of the other two.

No. The falling in line begins and ends with who they acquire to play SF. Then the 3 fall in line, etc etc. Currently there isn't anyone viable to replace Smith at the SF position. When/if someone is on the roster who could, this debate will be a lot more interesting .

Well that's the thing, its kind of a chicken/egg situation. The decision you make about the big 3 affects whether or not SF is a priority to address this offseason or not.

IMO the first two things they have to do is set their ceiling on what they'll pay Monroe and fully explore the trade market for Smith. Then you move from there. Both should ideally be done before FA starts.

Probably the best hope if he is still around. The whole thing is way overblown anyway. Smith spent about 50% of his time at PF last year.

I admit I didn't think it was that high. That's still 50% of his mintutes at SF, with both Monroe and Drummond on the floor. I just hate the lack of spacing that lineup gives you.

Del, random question. I know you can't include other players in a sign and trade, but can you include draft picks? I can't seem to find the info

Del, random question. I know you can't include other players in a sign and trade, but can you include draft picks? I can't seem to find the info

About a week ago I spent a good 20 minutes looking for an answer on that and I couldn't find one either.

ha, glad its not just me.

I really want to ask Larry Coon on Twitter. But I don't want to ruin my perfect 3 years on Twitter with zero tweets.

Pistons' Stan Van Gundy: Unfair to pick Josh Smith as scapegoat for losing | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

We didn't pick Smith as the scapegoat. We picked him and Jennings! Toss in that idiot Stuckey as well. Joe and Gores. Pretty much anyone not named Drummond.

I hope Van Gundy secretly would love to get rid of Smith but is publicly saying the right things for the sake of the team.

If you watched the Pistons last year, you realize that Josh Smith will be as stupid and lazy at PF as he was at SF.

He's just not a smart basketball player. He shot a bunch of three pointers in Atlanta and missed them. And he did so playing power forward. He's not going to suddenly develop into a smart offensive basketball player because SVG returns him to playing PF. He's NEVER been a smart offensive player! He's always been selfish and stupid.

Old dogs don't learn new tricks.

If you want to run and gun, he can be a valuable athletic player at the 4. But he will never stop being stupid.

If you watched the Pistons last year, you realize that Josh Smith will be as stupid and lazy at PF as he was at SF.

He's just not a smart basketball player. He shot a bunch of three pointers in Atlanta and missed them. And he did so playing power forward. He's not going to suddenly develop into a smart offensive basketball player because SVG returns him to playing PF. He's NEVER been a smart offensive player! He's always been selfish and stupid.

Old dogs don't learn new tricks.

If you want to run and gun, he can be a valuable athletic player at the 4. But he will never stop being stupid.

I never meant to suggest he would. He's not a guy with good BB IQ, no question. He does have the capabilities to help you out in a lot of ways though. This year and last he really increased his 3s and that has killed his efficiency. If SVG can coach that out of him and also coach him on not leaving stretch 4s for open jumpers, he can be useful. Him and Drummond can be a very good rim protecting combination.

I never meant to suggest he would. He's not a guy with good BB IQ, no question. He does have the capabilities to help you out in a lot of ways though. This year and last he really increased his 3s and that has killed his efficiency. If SVG can coach that out of him and also coach him on not leaving stretch 4s for open jumpers, he can be useful. Him and Drummond can be a very good rim protecting combination.

To think SVG is going to magically transform Josh Smith into a high IQ basketball player is naïve. Our best chance with Josh Smith is to find a contender that can use his skill set off the bench and trade him hopefully for expiring contracts and draft choice(s). The culture change for the Pistons has to start with unloading Smith. In my opinion, it is more important to unload Smith than it is Jennings. I can see Jennings coming off the bench.

Worse case, SVG will resign Monroe and start Monroe and Drummond bringing Smith off the bench. Definitely, not ideal.

All of this positive talk SVG is giving Monroe is either sincere or an attempt to build value for a sign and trade. I'm interested to see which way this goes.

To think SVG is going to magically transform Josh Smith into a high IQ basketball player is naïve. Our best chance with Josh Smith is to find a contender that can use his skill set off the bench and trade him hopefully for expiring contracts and draft choice(s). The culture change for the Pistons has to start with unloading Smith. In my opinion, it is more important to unload Smith than it is Jennings. I can see Jennings coming off the bench.

Worse case, SVG will resign Monroe and start Monroe and Drummond bringing Smith off the bench. Definitely, not ideal.

All of this positive talk SVG is giving Monroe is either sincere or an attempt to build value for a sign and trade. I'm interested to see which way this goes.

Never said he'd do that, but I think limiting his 3s and getting him to guard the perimeter a little more are doable. The man made Rashard Lewis a good defensive 4.

A lot of the same things were said about Monta Ellis prior to last season, a good coach and some better players and poof he has value. That team was extremely toxic last year and Smith should have more value than he does.

I appreciate the patience and vision SVG seems to be showing. Let's give it some time either SVG figures a way to make Smith valuable to this team or another. Either way he'll be a year closer to the end of his contract and marginally easier to dump. Same goes for Jennings. Quick fixes are what got this franchise into the tailspin it's been on since they fired Saunders in 2008.

I agree, but I dont think anyone has ever been able to coach the stupid out of smith. I dont think svg will be able to either. But you never know.

I agree, but I dont think anyone has ever been able to coach the stupid out of smith. I dont think svg will be able to either. But you never know.

I mostly agree. I guess I'm just saying that there's more to be had out of Smith than we got last year.

The only transforming of Smith we need is into an expiring contract....Nash preferably...