Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

For all the talk of Van Gundy making changes, a key to this offseason is Monroe taking his game to another level. We need him to be a 20 ppg scorer with a TS% in the upper 50's.

........He said he will fit his offense to match the talent on the team and he said that is Drummond and Monroe right now.

I wish/hope/dream that SVG meant that he will be dumping/trading everyone else.

For all the talk of Van Gundy making changes, a key to this offseason is Monroe taking his game to another level. We need him to be a 20 ppg scorer with a TS% in the upper 50's.

That would be nice. Monroe averaging 20 points and 12 rebounds and Drummond averaging around 17 points and 14 rebounds or something along those lines.

Edited by nd1377

I hate to be the one to look back and rip Dumars, but I noticed SVG and Gores both mentioned structure and having front office and the court being on the same page. That seemed to be Dumars downfall. Everything the last several years seemed to be by the seat of his pants (lazy?), and he was just waiting for a few moves to work out as well as they did for the '04 team. Not to say that he doesn't deserve credit for that team, and it was all just luck, but there hasn't appeared to be a structured plan in place for some time.

Josh Smith for Kendrick Perkins and Jeremy Lamb.

If they need it sweetened I would swap our 8th pick for their 21st pick.

What do they do with Smith?

I'd do that Smith for Perkins + Lamb trade every day of the week. Gotta cut bait on that one. And I was a Josh Smith fan heading into the season too.

The trade makes sense. So does a trade for KG. So does a trade to LA since they need to build now before Kobe's body disintegrates. Let's see how persuasive SVG can be around the league. If he manages to move Smith and/or Jennings I'm going to be very, very impressed.

Former Pistons say coach Stan Van Gundy will have respect of players, instill accountability | MLive.com

I linked this for the two videos, not so much for the article. One is SVG talking about Smith, the other is SVG talking about Jennings. The second one is a bit more interesting because he talks about potential player movement near the end of it (doesn't rule it out) but also says he needs to see guys in his system before he jumps to any conclusions.

The trade makes sense. So does a trade for KG. So does a trade to LA since they need to build now before Kobe's body disintegrates. Let's see how persuasive SVG can be around the league. If he manages to move Smith and/or Jennings I'm going to be very, very impressed.

Gasol and Smith could be an interesting frontcourt. Then they draft Exum or Smart to play the point, pairing them with Nash. Keep Wes Johnson and add another 3 and D wing type or something.

ESPN TV is reporting that Derek Fisher has become the leading candidate for the Knicks head coaching job. Jackson must think any of his former players would make a great NBA head coach.

I don't have a hard time believing Fisher could be a very good coach and someone else wanted Kerr. They're saying Mark Jackson is on the tenative list now too.

He seems like the type of PG Stan would love to have. Solid build, not a risk taker, shoots the three well, can run the half court pick and roll well. Think the Nets want Smith and Jennings for Williams and some scrubs? I've already stated why I think Smith would really help them. Not sure if they'd want Jennings, but he could certainly present some problems for the opposition when you've already got Johnson and Lopez out there.

Williams, Stauskas, Deng/Ariza, Monroe, and Drummond - would be interesting.

I just saw Williams has a 15% trade kicker. So add uhhh another $9M to his already huge contract. You can spread that out over the 3 years of his contract but man, thats a ton of money.

Yeesh, that makes it rough. I don't mind taking on his 60 mil since we'd be sending out 57 or so, but 9 more makes it a much tougher sell. Wonder if he'd waive it, since they are saying he doesn't like the GM.

Yeesh, that makes it rough. I don't mind taking on his 60 mil since we'd be sending out 57 or so, but 9 more makes it a much tougher sell. Wonder if he'd waive it, since they are saying he doesn't like the GM.

I think I might be wrong. Not on his kicker, he has that at least according to Sham Sports. But your bonus can't put you over the leagues maximum salary. Max salary for someone with his amount of years in the league is $16.4M this year. He made $18.4M this year, putting him over the max salary (Max only applies to the first year of a contract). So I think maybe possibly you don't have to pay him the trade kicker. Here is an article about Gasol and his kicker that made me think that.

Pau Gasol's bonus if he's traded is smaller than it appears - Los Angeles Times

The straight math suggests that Gasol, who is under contract through 2013-14 for $38.3 million, would get a bonus of 15% of that amount, or $5.7 million, but the complicated rules of the league's collective bargaining agreement say otherwise.

If a player's trade kicker would put him over the maximum salary, a different formula comes into play. In Gasol's case, his $19 million for the current season is just $136,000 short of the league maximum for a player with at least 10 years of experience, triggering the alternative computation.

But a provision in the collective bargaining agreement complicates matters even further.

The maximum for Gasol is actually 105% of his 2011-12 salary, which was $18.7 million. According to salary cap expert Larry Coon, the most Gasol can receive in bonus, per year, is the difference between what he currently makes, $19 million, and 105% of last year's $18.7 million, or $19.6 million, even though that exceeds the 10-year maximum.

All that makes Gasol's available bonus about $650,000. Since Gasol has two years in total left on his contract, his total potential bonus would be double that figure, or $1.3 million.

So instead of the 15% bonus written in his contract, Gasol is eligible for a bonus of only 3.4% should the Lakers trade him by the deadline.

Interesting, there is always another loophole with the cap lol. I would definitely give this a shot if I was the Pistons. Not sure if it gets it done, but I feel like Brooklyn would have to at least think about it.

For us, I feel like we'd be in great shape. Draft a shooter and you have an interesting looking team. Look for some frontcourt depth and an Ariza type in FA.