Deleterious

2014 Off-Season

Important Dates

May 20th - Draft lottery

June 26th - Draft

July 1st to July 9th - Player movement frozen. You can negotiate but not sign free agents. Salary cap is set during this time.

July 10th - You can now sign free agents, make trades, etc.

I can't find a date for summer league. I do know the Pistons are playing in Orlando and last year it started on July 7th which was a Sunday. So maybe the 6th this year? Or close to it.

Roster

Unrestricted Free Agents

Rodney Stuckey. Charlie Villanueva.

Restricted Free Agents

Greg Monroe

Player Options

Jonas Jerebko

Team Options

Chauncey Billups

Salary Cap

ShamSports.com: Detroit Pistons salary information

Hard to say how much cap space they will have since we don't know the cap number yet. Larry Coon is saying $62M or around there and he is a great source. Using that number:

Worst Case - No space at all. They are way over the cap since they don't renounce Stuckey and CV. We then meet at in Palace parking lot on July 10th at 4PM. Pitchforks and torches are optional.

Best Case - Renounce Stuckey, CV, and Monroe. Cut all the non-guaranteed contracts. You could have $25M in cap space, roughly. $30M if Jerebko opts out.

Most realistic - Renounce Stuckey and CV. Have about $10M in cap space.

Most realistic part II - Renounce Stuckey and CV. Cut all non-guaranteed contracts (Billups, Siva, Mitchell, etc). Have about $15M in cap space. So you could have anywhere from $10-$15M depending on who cut. Add another $4.5M if Jerebko opts out.

That is quick and dirty offseason thread. If I missed something let me know.

Use this for quick little blurbs/questions/etc. Start new threads for more important stuff.

Great stuff you guys. Really appreciate you posting this.

Also, I have my pitchfork ready.

Chandler parsons?

Xavier henry?

Take a flyer on danny granger?

I think Granger is done.

I like the idea of Parsons. But you run into the RFA problem where Houston matches most offers.

I think Granger is done.

I like the idea of Parsons. But you run into the RFA problem where Houston matches most offers.

Agreed.

Granger looks terrible and his legs look real old. Bad for a jump shooter who now seems allergic to rebounding.

Parsons would nearly perfect, but would the Rockets let him go if we offer him the money Monroe is projected to get? They re-sign Garcia/Casspi at that spot and add a swingman via the draft/FA . . . or even play Jones some minutes there. (What in the world are they going to do with Asik, anyways?)

One can dream.

I think Granger is done.

Sign and trade with Houston? Monroe for Parsons and picks?

I would push Smith for Parsons first.

I wonder if Phil would do Smith for Bargnani and a pick? Wouldn't even have to be a first round pick...

I wonder if Phil would do Smith for Bargnani and a pick? Wouldn't even have to be a first round pick...

If they said they would do Bargnani for him straight up, I don't know how you say no as the Pistons. I'd probably waive Bargs even. Just clear that deal off the books and move forward.

What the hell happened to Gordon Hayward's 3 point shooting this year?

I'm going to blame it on PG play

I would guess losing Jefferson and Millsap hurt it.

But you're probably right about the PG play. Good news is Utah has a high pick this year and can address the PG position.

If they said they would do Bargnani for him straight up, I don't know how you say no as the Pistons. I'd probably waive Bargs even. Just clear that deal off the books and move forward.

I can't imagine Phil Jackson wanting anything to do with Josh Smith.

I would guess losing Jefferson and Millsap hurt it.

But you're probably right about the PG play. Good news is Utah has a high pick this year and can address the PG position.

I was kind of thinking that too, the first part I mean. Well, he'd have Monroe/Drummond here to play off of.

I can't imagine Phil Jackson wanting anything to do with Josh Smith.

You're most likely right. Two factors though. IMO, they probably have to acquire some name talent in order to keep Carmelo and Jackson has the ego/pedigree where he might think he can get the most out of Smith. He's had guys like Rodman and Odom in the past and they've thrived.

You're most likely right. Two factors though. IMO, they probably have to acquire some name talent in order to keep Carmelo and Jackson has the ego/pedigree where he might think he can get the most out of Smith. He's had guys like Rodman and Odom in the past and they've thrived.

Rodman was the first name that came to mind. If Jackson sees talent and a way to get through to a player, I wouldn't put it past him.

That said, who knows if he would try since he will be a little more removed from the day-to-day with players.

Under the radar guy, Wes Johnson? He's a 3pt/stl/blk a game guy. I didn't follow him that closely this year, but it looks like he improved his shot.

Johnson could be a Corey Brewer type of SF--an athletic late bloomer who will D up and occasionally surprise you with some scoring. I wanted Brewer last off-season, and for less money than Brewer got, I would like to have Johnson.

After these years of being on this dysfunctional team Monroe needs and deserves a change of scenery. A sign-and-trade that made sense would be fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath.

If the organization is serious about winning, they need to think like an expansion team who needs everything but a center. They need to use their current roster as assets that will fetch them roster players who will fit into a plan that makes them champions. Perhaps the rookies, due to their low salaries, should be retained as well to give the new GM more of a base to work with.

C-Drummond

F/C-Harrelson

F-Mitchell

SG-KCP

PG-Siva

If the lottery cooperates, we get a sixth and seventh roster player via the draft. Or we trade the pick for value, getting perhaps a player and a pick.

Only re-sign the current FAs if they are going to be part of a sign-and-trade package. Trade the current assets to get assets in return that further the new GM's game plan. If at the end of the off-season that means we still have the Smith and Jennings contracts, so be it, nobody says you have to dress them out if they don't buy in to the new philosophy.