Deleterious

30 for 30 - Bad Boys

Tonight at 8PM on ESPN.

I just read Kid Rock is the narrator.

I guess ESPN is running an hour special after as well.

Yeah, not sure what the show afterwards is supposed to be. But I saw it when setting the DVR and figured I might as well record that, too.

I just read Kid Rock is the narrator.

And I really wanted to watch this too.

Oh well. Total loss of interest now.

Kid Rock is doing a good job, he's not making it about himself.

This is bringing back so many memories..........I miss caring about the Pistons.

I don't think I would even know it was him if I didn't know before. He doesn't sound like himself.

Nice touch using the old Packard plant.

It was good stuff. I was expecting a hatchet job, but I thought it was done pretty well.

Betrayer, I'm not a fan of Kid Rock either, but I agree with Del you couldn't tell it was him, and the narration was solely about the team and the city.

It wasn't sugar coated. It delved into the Laimbeer "foul" on Kareem in '88. It went into the Rick Mahorn expansion draft pick (I had forgotten it was the same day as the parade route). It showed them in the bad light of the walk off in the loss against the Bulls (never liked it, still hate that they did that). And it briefly got into the further ending of the team, although I kind of wish they had shown a bit about where the individual pieces went.

Maybe it was just that it tugged at me nostalgically a bit, but I thought it was a good show.

Edit: I honestly thought Trader Jack had passed long ago. A few more wrinkles now, but good to see him in the piece.

Edited by Casimir

Couple of items:

a. Really well done. My wife had no familiarity with the team and enjoyed it as much as I did.

b. Most all of the players had some contribution or insight that added something to the storytelling.

c. I knew there were some disagreements with Dantley in '89, but I didn't realize how disruptive he had become. Not sure if that is because I had rose colored glasses on because I liked his play or if the media somewhat shielded the fan base from how acrimonious that was becoming.

Betrayer, I'm not a fan of Kid Rock either, but I agree with Del you couldn't tell it was him, and the narration was solely about the team and the city.

I didn't know it was him either. He did a great job.

Kid Rock in a nutshell for me:

Bawitdabah and Bullgod were great songs. I bought DWaC and loved it.

Then came the over-hype, the sampling of other people's songs and the white trash image being around all things Detroit so I began to despise him.

Then he released "All Summer Long" and I was hooked right back in because he was talking about my youth too with a song of my youth as the backdrop.

Like him or hate him, he's managed to stay relevant for nearly 15 years. Lots of rock/pop artists have come and gone in that time.

I liked it. Wasn't really old enough at the time to appreciate the bad boys. I remember my parents got me a bad boys shirt. I also forgotten how close they came to winning the championship in 88.

I missed the beginning, but loved the entire thing I saw. I was only 12 at the time, but I do not recall Joe D's dad dying during that series. I remember everything else they talked about, but for some reason was shocked when I heard about Joe D's dad.

That was my team. That entire run was cant miss TV at my house when I was a kid. GREAT memories sitting around the TV on the floor, my dad ordering 3 medium pizzas (a place called garros in Detroit had specials) with green peppers and mushrooms and pepperoni. Just sitting there on the floor eating pizza and watching the Pistons. My dad starting doing a little better at work by that time. I think it was during the heyday of Chrysler. He was making a little more money so he could afford to order pizza.

I have better childhood memories of the Pistons than I do the Tigers even.

Regarding the walk off....It stemmed from Jordan totally dogging the Pistons in the press about getting rid of them and no one wants to see that kind of basketball etc. We were the champs and he was dogging us. At the time I loved it. Looking back we should have been the bigger people.... and then the press would have focused on Jordan being a poor winner and dogging us as opposed to the Pistons being cry babies. Us walking off took Jordan off the hook for being such a db about beating us.

I know you guys love my stories, but I like recalling them...first time I was flirted with by a girl was around that time as well. Going to the races in Miland, MI with my uncle and a friend, wearing my older brothers Piston jacket... this one:

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

And having a pair of girls follow us out chanting the P, I, S, T, O, N Power song. I only looked back once, but they smiled and waved and I freaked out and started walking a little faster! lol

Ahhhh to be a kid again.

Got goosebumps watching it. Some of my fondest memories of childhood watching those teams and i remember how sad I was when the Bulls swept the Pistons because i knew that it was over at that very moment. Man, those were some fun times though.

They really should have won 3 straight chamionships if it wasn't for the Isiah injury and the phantom call on Kareem yet The Bad Boys hardly ever get mentioned amongst the best teams of all time. It was always Bird and Magic transitioning to Jordan with little mention of the team that beat all three of those teams to win a championship.

I remember Joe's dad dying.

I wish they had Kenny Smith on last night telling a story about Joe. The Jet, Chuck, Zeke, Steve Kerr, and I think Nique were on Open Court talking about that era of basketball and they were talking to Isiah about the Bad Boys. Kenny tells a story about a game against Detroit where he hits two jumpers in a row and Detroit calls a timeout. The teams had to cross each other to get to their bench's. As he is walking to the Bench, Joe gives Kenny an elbow to the ribs. Kenny kept saying how he couldn't believe it since Joe was supposed to be the nice guy in the group!

Thomas: Did you make your next shot?

Kenny: No.

Thomas: Well there ya go.

They showed a clip of Joe having a "discussion" with Atlanta's Tree Rollins and Joe kind of pushed him away. A little later in they showed footage of Rollins in his Detroit warm ups.

And I think Dantley is just still a little bit bitter. Footage of him getting into Thomas' face in their first meeting after the trade would have been nice.

We had moved to detroit in 1988 and I remember going to some games at the dome. Don't remember a lot, but I remember it was a hot ticket.

I vaguely remember the two championships happening and getting the t shirts. I remember the laimbeer and mahorn poster that I had on my wall.

I don't remember any of the off the court stuff, like joe's dad dying, or isiah's comments about bird.

That was very enjoyable to me to watch as someone who was a bit too young to take it all in at the time.

I don't think they showed the Laimbeer Barkley fight where you see Bill circling round with his fists in hay maker mode. I wish I was old enough to appreciate Laimbeer.

I think my link to the Bad Boys is stronger than it is to any other championship team. I was 15 when they won in 1989. The 84 Tigers I was only 11 so while I was crazy excited it seemed normal at the time. With the Bad Boys it was the whole process of winning.... the Celtics in 87, the Lakers in 88. The ride up.

I'm still bitter about the reaction by the national media over the "walkout". I was at that game it was the day before my HS graduation. Seeing Dick Ebersol complain about it made me realize what it was all about. That was the first year NBC had the NBA. NBC loves to make their sports coverage about the human interest angle over the sports action. They wanted video of the 'torch being passed'. Isiah crushed that... so NBC was ticked off, Marv Albert made a fuss and the national media ran with it. I recall Lupica complaining about the fans chanting "Bad Boys". LIke they were supposed to cheer for Michael Jordan. It was all contrived. What makes it all a crock of **** is that the Celtics walked off the court in 1988... except for McHale.

So many memories for that team... more so than the 84 Tigers or any of the Wings championships. I could write pages of where I was when this or that happened.

The note Barkley sent him before that game is epic. I saw most of it, but didn't notice if they talked about that.

I was at the first game after Laimbeer retired in the middle of the season. THey happened to be playing the Suns. Laimbeer was sitting in the front row and Barkley came over and shook his hand. They did a cameo in a movie.... I think it was one of the Naked Gun movies where they showed a montage of fighting.

The Celtics were just as dirty.

Yes Dantley is bitter. Not sure he has a case. You can make the argument that he wasn't a team player. It was true at the time. He wanted to be the shooter and they had to open things up. I can't see him taking a back seat to Rodman like Aguirre did.

I didn't notice if Magic was interviewed at all last night... Jordan was. It's easy for him to take the high road since he won 6 titles.

I was at the first game after Laimbeer retired in the middle of the season. THey happened to be playing the Suns. Laimbeer was sitting in the front row and Barkley came over and shook his hand. They did a cameo in a movie.... I think it was one of the Naked Gun movies where they showed a montage of fighting.

The Celtics were just as dirty.

Yes Dantley is bitter. Not sure he has a case. You can make the argument that he wasn't a team player. It was true at the time. He wanted to be the shooter and they had to open things up. I can't see him taking a back seat to Rodman like Aguirre did.

I didn't notice if Magic was interviewed at all last night... Jordan was. It's easy for him to take the high road since he won 6 titles.

A search for this:

boston celtics walk off court 1988 pistons

Gives you nothing on video

detroit pistons walk off court 1991 bulls

Gives you pages and pages of video

I searched for it because I honestly did not recall Boston walking off the court. I was only 11 at the time. McHale saved that right? With the handshake? So if Joe D would have stopped to shake someones hand would it have mattered?

Was it a big deal because the game was not completely over yet? Did Boston walk off before the game was over?