davidsb

04/16/2014: Detroit Tigers (Sanchez) vs Cleveland Indians (McAllister) 7:08

Don Kelly is the best proof of how bad our bench is. He should never be batting in that situation.

I don't understand these kind of comments.. are you thinking a better choice is a Jim Thome... a guy who can hit, but that is about all?

Cleveland was literally given that game from the first inning on. Shows what a bad team they are that they didn't score ten runs.

And they almost blew it.

Ausmus should've squeezed with Kelly or Davis......unlike Hunter, they can bunt.

why else put Romine in, unless you are going to mix it up like that

edit: also given the fact that on a cold night like this hitting the ball to far outfield is going to be tough

Kelly is a fly ball hitter and doesn't K much. He was fine in that situation- he just failed/Axford executed well. We were very fortunate Avila got to 3B as it was.

Bullpen did well. Cabrera's error and whatever Hunter's double play at bat was proved costly.

I don't understand these kind of comments.. are you thinking a better choice is a Jim Thome... a guy who can hit, but that is about all?

A better choice is a utility player who can hit a little bit. Don Kelly is a terrible, terrible hitter.

why else put Romine in, unless you are going to mix it up like that

edit: also given the fact that on a cold night like this hitting the ball to far outfield is going to be tough

Your edit is the exact reason you put Romine in the game so he can score on a medium depth flyball which Kelly is more than capable of doing. Castellanos and Avila had no problem hitting long flyballs off Axford.

A better choice is a utility player who can hit a little bit. Don Kelly is a terrible, terrible hitter.

This.

The Don Kelly fan base amazes me. Then again, it really shouldn't considering the following that Inge had here.

Your edit is the exact reason you put Romine in the game so he can score on a medium depth flyball which Kelly is more than capable of doing. Castellanos and Avila had no problem hitting long flyballs off Axford.

Yeah... and I guess he would eventually go in for Gonzalez who was pinch hit for, so why not use his speed...

I would still say a squeeze bunt with Kelly is better than a chance fly ball... but it is just speculation

This.

The Don Kelly fan base amazes me. Then again, it really shouldn't considering the following that Inge had here.

The irrational hater club amazes me. Kelly was batting 364 coming in and hits a ton of flyballs. Perfect hitter for the situation. Doesn't mean you have to like him, but the situation was setup perfectly to use Kelly.

Ausmus talked to Hunter before his bat in the 8th where he bunted, he was on board just a didn't work out. Said it won't always work out.

Ausmus wasn't sure Francona would have walked Miggy if bunt worked, tying run.But felt good about Martinez and Jackson coming up after him

Why?

I don't know what your definition of a 'terrible, terrible hitter' is, but it isn't mine. He is currently hitting .333, small sample but current. career is something like .233, not great, but still not terrible, terrible.

The irrational hater club amazes me. Kelly was batting 364 coming in and hits a ton of flyballs. Perfect hitter for the situation. Doesn't mean you have to like him, but the situation was setup perfectly to use Kelly.

Did you really just quote Don Kelly's batting average over 11 at-bats? Geez.

He's a career .231/.291/.346 hitter for a reason. He isn't a good hitter.

My favorite thing about any players irrational hater club -- is they decide to have a meeting on the day a player doesn't do well... after the fact. easy to predict hindsight

Did you really just quote Don Kelly's batting average over 11 at-bats? Geez.

He's a career .231/.291/.346 hitter for a reason. He isn't a good hitter.

He didn't need a hit to be successful. He needed a sacrifice fly. He's one of the best at doing that on the team.

Kelly isn't good but our bench is an abomination either way. That's on the GM. Kelly batting for an even worse option in Gonzo is the right call. It's not Dimaggio vs Willie Mays. It's one less terrible option vs another one and you get a lefty righty matchup.

It is early in the season, so I haven't had much chance to listen to other teams too much.

But which teams have such a superior bench and bullpen to the Tigers. Dodgers? Boston?

Kelly's not a good hitter, but Ausmus had no other choice there. They couldn't let Gonzalez bat, Romine is an even worse hitter and Collins has been completely overmatched.

The strategy with Hunter is debatable. But, I don't see the issue with going with Kelly. That's on DD more than Ausmus.

Don Kelly is third on the team in FB% at 40% behind Jackson and Hunter. That's actually even way down from his career rate of 46%. He also has the 4th lowest K% on the team. Kelly was the perfect guy to have pinch hit there.

It is early in the season, so I haven't had much chance to listen to other teams too much.

But which teams have such a superior bench and bullpen to the Tigers. Dodgers? Boston?

I don't say this as if the Tigers have a great Bench and/or bullpen... but there are few teams with hall of famers on the bench.

I bet if we could trade Verlander, Scherzer and Sanchez, we could get a decent bench... with a trade off of course