davidsb

04/09/2014: Detroit Tigers (Sanchez) at Los Angeles Dodgers (Beckett), 10:10p

That's a gutsy call.

He didn't get Gordon, but on the bright side Castellanos looked OK on a tough attempt.

He didn't get Gordon, but on the bright side Castellanos looked OK on a tough attempt.

Was referring to Mattingly calling the suicide squeeze on a 3-2 count with his pitcher.

Why does that even matter? His job is to create a team that challenges for the World series every year, the farm system is just a tool to use to accomplish that. They way he uses that tool it to trade away prospects while value is high to improve the major league roster.
This is true. I wish we could grow more players but still, this is true.

Fun fact: Carl Crawford's last TWO walk off hits have been against the Tigers

It's a good thing Sanchez is running up his pitch count so that we can see a Coke again. Can't wait.

This is what Ausmus was saving Smyly for.

Wouldn't have that problem if they had a starting catcher who could hit a little.

Well, they'd still have the problem of having a team built to contend in the AL where you plan for a DH, then have to go play stupid interleague games.

Martinez has had a really rough go of it to at catcher. He's also terrible at framing pitches.

Wouldn't have that problem if they had a starting catcher who could hit a little.

What Tiger prospect since Verlander has turned into a really good player? Other than their first round picks (who should be good prospects), what draft pick has developed into a good major league player? Granderson?

I think the current Tigers roster is pretty diverse as far as home-grown, trade-acquired, and Free Agent contributors. Considering that the Tigers are one of the favorites for the World Series this year, I don't really think Dombrowski is to blame for anything.

Here is a thought...Maybe Dombrowski can only play the cards he is given from ownership. Something flipped with Ilitch prior to the 2005 season where he desperately wanted a World Series ring. Do you know what an 75 year old doesn't want? A solid farm club. The Fielder and Cabrera deals have been blasted in the sport as Ilitch not caring about the future of the organization. He wants to win and trading perceived future value for current talent is what DD has to do. He built the Expos organization on a peanuts payroll into the best team in 1994. He won the World Series with a lot of Free Agents in 1997. DD has proven he can adapt. Hell, the entire composite of the lineup changed with the manager this year!

I'll have to double-check my math, but I think this game projects to be over sometime in early 2018.

The past two nights, the organist has been playing songs from Les Miserables between innings...

The past two nights, the organist has been playing songs from Les Miserables between innings...

Appropriate, given the Tigers offensive and defensive miserableness.

What Tiger prospect since Verlander has turned into a really good player? Other than their first round picks (who should be good prospects), what draft pick has developed into a good major league player? Granderson?

How do you define really good?

Why does that even matter? His job is to create a team that challenges for the World series every year, the farm system is just a tool to use to accomplish that. They way he uses that tool it to trade away prospects while value is high to improve the major league roster.

Would you rather be the Tigers or the Red Sox or Cardinals?

The Tigers' window is about to slam closed because they have no credible players available in the minors. You don't have to have a great major league team OR a great farm system. If you want to have continued success rather than just short term success, you have to have both. The Tigers don't and that's on Dombrowski.

We'll see what he does to rebuild the foundation of the team as their stars get old and past their prime.

The ability to beat the sisters of the poor in the AL Central and make the playoffs does not a great GM make, IMO. I don't hate Dombrowski, I just don't think he's done a good job with getting the team over the top in the last couple of years when their championship window was open. I think he did a great job to get the window open in the first place, but he couldn't finish the job.

To me the real complaint about the Tigers Team, is how bad they are doing against a team that might be NL World Series representative.

That is if this is the assumed AL rep the world series, shouldn't it have some ability play well in an NL stadium. or do you want 2006 again

Edited by Titus Tiger