davidsb

04/09/2014: Detroit Tigers (Sanchez) at Los Angeles Dodgers (Beckett), 10:10p

I'm not sure how dombrowski can be classified as brilliant with the Tigers farm system being so terrible.

But he's not paid to get wins in the farm system, he'd paid to get the Tigers into the playoffs, and he's done that 4 times out of the last 9 seasons. KC has had a great farm system long time now, what have they won? That is one yardstick, but not the major one

Edited by Gehringer_2

Then when Iglesias comes back, you move Drew to third and put Castellanos in left.

Freaking fine by me.

My guess if you look at the salaries of the Tigers farm system and other contender teams --- Detroit is probably pretty low... Yankees and Dodgers spent tons of money at all levels. I would guess Dombroski kind of uses the farm system to barter for the Major League team.

He's not paid to get wins in the farm system, he'd paid to get the Tigers into the playoffs, and he's done that 4 times out of the last 9 seasons.

Yup. He also does a good job of trading top prospects for useful player that end up being a lot better. Bashing the farm system is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

Pitchers batting is still stupid. It's important to reiterate that fact on the rare occasion that a pitcher gets a hit.

In the modern era that is true, everyone is specialized... mainly to the extent that the focus is on Hitting and Pitching... Hardly any players now adays are considered 'five tool' or even 'three tool'

But he's not paid to get wins in the farm system, he'd paid to get the Tigers into the playoffs, and he's done that 4 times out of the last 9 seasons. KC has had a great farm system long time now, what have they won? That is one yardstick, but not the major one

His responsibility is to make the organization successful and that means building a successful major league team and a successful minor league system that will keep the major league team's success sustainable. He hasn't done that. The Red Sox and Cardinals won the world series AND have great farm systems. The Tigers haven't won the world series and have a terrible farm system.

Their inability to produce big league players and decent bullpen arms has killed them in the playoffs.

Dombrowski has made some great trades, he's very good at that. But he's awful at building bullpens, creating a good farm system, and developing a usable bench.

And he had an awful, awful, awful offseason.

Pretty sure that Dombrowski has turned the awful farm system into:

Miguel Cabrera

Austin Jackson

Anibal Sanchez

Max Scherzer

I'll take it.

Yup. He also does a good job of trading top prospects for useful player that end up being a lot better. Bashing the farm system is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

The farm system can't even make a usable all-glove, no hit shortstop or a successful LOOGY. I'd hardly call that a good system.

Pretty sure that Dombrowski has turned the awful farm system into:

Miguel Cabrera

Austin Jackson

Anibal Sanchez

Max Scherzer

I'll take it.

What Tiger prospect since Verlander has turned into a really good player? Other than their first round picks (who should be good prospects), what draft pick has developed into a good major league player? Granderson?

It's a good thing Sanchez is running up his pitch count so that we can see a Coke again. Can't wait.

What Tiger prospect since Verlander has turned into a really good player? Other than their first round picks (who should be good prospects), what draft pick has developed into a good major league player? Granderson?

Why does that even matter? His job is to create a team that challenges for the World series every year, the farm system is just a tool to use to accomplish that. They way he uses that tool it to trade away prospects while value is high to improve the major league roster.